Discovery brakes

Tony Montana

Hello all.

I have a 1994 Discovery 1 300tdi manual and I have an issue which has really been annoying me.

My brakes are barely effective and the pedal travels almost all the way down to the floor before it starts to have the smallest amount of braking. If I pump it a few times it goes harder, but as soon as I start driving again it goes down again. If I’m stationary and pump it it’ll go hard.

I’ve put another servo and master cylinder on there from another Discovery, I’ve bled the brakes 3 times (twice manually, once with a machine) and I’ve checked for any leaks and there were none.

I am fully scratching my head over this!

Does anyone have any idea of why could be going on?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Have you checked for a seized piston on the calipers? It's a regular problem.

Also, check the vacuum pump..

Disco 1 brakes are never brilliant - more adequate

I’ve managed to push all the pistons back and watched them return when I press the pedal

Are all your wheel bearings OK? If there is play, the disc will push the pads out while driving and when you press the brakes you need to take up the slack before you get any stopping power.

12 hours ago, Escape said:

Are all your wheel bearings OK? If there is play, the disc will push the pads out while driving and when you press the brakes you need to take up the slack before you get any stopping power.

My OSF wheel bearing went the other day, and I’m currently in the middle of ordering a stub axle and bearing to repair it. Would only 1 bearing being gone make that much of a difference? What you say does definitely make sense though, because under braking the pedal feels like it’s slightly going up and down, as if there was ABS kicking in. That’s probably what you mean by the play pushing the pads out.

17 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

The HVAC system has a vacuum operated flap to control air form outside/air form insdie - it has a small pipe off shooting form the main vacuum pipe - reove it and block the outlet - see if that makes a difference

You mean the vacuum pump on the left side of the engine? If so, there’s only 1 large pipe coming from it and it goes to the servo

1 hour ago, Tony Montana said:

My OSF wheel bearing went the other day, and I’m currently in the middle of ordering a stub axle and bearing to repair it. Would only 1 bearing being gone make that much of a difference? What you say does definitely make sense though, because under braking the pedal feels like it’s slightly going up and down, as if there was ABS kicking in. That’s probably what you mean by the play pushing the pads out.

Depending on how bad it is, play in one or more wheel bearings can have a very noticeable effect on braking. It would also explain why the pedal does remain firm as long as the vehicle is stationary. It wont hurt to check all wheels and start with that. You've obviously already done a lot of other work on the braking system, not much left to cause problems.

When was the braking last OK ?
Has anything been changed since then that could have caused the problems ?
What make of brake pads have you got ?
Nasty pads can have a huge effect on stopping power - but wouldn't be the cause of the very long pedal travel (which could be a wheel bearing as mentioned by Escape)

On 5/20/2021 at 6:31 PM, Pawl12 said:

When was the braking last OK ?
Has anything been changed since then that could have caused the problems ?
What make of brake pads have you got ?
Nasty pads can have a huge effect on stopping power - but wouldn't be the cause of the very long pedal travel (which could be a wheel bearing as mentioned by Escape)

Brakes were never ok since I bought it haha

On 5/18/2021 at 9:16 PM, Escape said:

You Sir, are a legend! I repaired my front wheel bearings which were destroyed and I now have brakes!

Thank you 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 6:22 PM, Nonimouse said:

Have you checked for a seized piston on the calipers? It's a regular problem.

Also, check the vacuum pump..

Disco 1 brakes are never brilliant - more adequate

I fit the entire system, except pedal box, to my 109 and they’re superb.  I rebuilt the original callipers with Zeus Eng stainless pistons, installed new lines and braided hoses, used new discs and standard Mintex pads, and just had a good look at the master and servo to make sure they were in near-new condition and it brakes better than the late 90 my wife had and almost as good as the top end brakes on my late RRC (also has the same pistons, EBC discs and pads).  So, the only parts that might make braking sharper and stronger than standard are the hoses.  The brake system shouldn’t be spongy or weak.

On 5/30/2021 at 12:07 PM, Snagger said:

I fit the entire system, except pedal box, to my 109 and they’re superb.  I rebuilt the original callipers with Zeus Eng stainless pistons, installed new lines and braided hoses, used new discs and standard Mintex pads, and just had a good look at the master and servo to make sure they were in near-new condition and it brakes better than the late 90 my wife had and almost as good as the top end brakes on my late RRC (also has the same pistons, EBC discs and pads).  So, the only parts that might make braking sharper and stronger than standard are the hoses.  The brake system shouldn’t be spongy or weak.

I hear what you are saying, but in general a Discovery 1 doesn't have the best brakes.

I have also replaced everything in mine and have braided steel hoses. I uses EBC pads (standard) as they seem to run cooler and I can lock up all four wheels if I stamp on the brakes, but like most land rover vehicles upto the late 90's . it's not brilliant. My RRC was similar. my 110 suffered terribly form brake fade - all had re-built systems