Helicoils / Caliper Bolts

41 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Rust! It might be fixable.

I will take a photo tomorrow.  I would value your opinion as if it's fixable I should be able to do it. Because it's the axle I don't know anything about it.  Obviously I can measure the diameter etc, but I am not sure about it's material thickness etc. Also this must be one of the most structural parts so it has to be right.  I can add strength to it but then is a second hand casing not better - obviously this would be cost dependent. 

Depends on your welding. A second hand good axle should swap in. That's quick, and might be inexpensive. A good weld repair might be just the same amount of time, and be a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

When I put 90 calipers on my RRC axle there is definitely a difference in bolt dia, with imperial bolts the caliper would rattle when loose, test fitted with tube shims to ensure bolt spacing was OK, then helicoiled to match new 90 bolts and all is good.

12 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Depends on your welding. A second hand good axle should swap in. That's quick, and might be inexpensive. A good weld repair might be just the same amount of time, and be a lot cheaper.

Best photo I can get until I crawl under the truck.

20220310_092420.thumb.jpg.c9787d524a47e9426b08e3892f24d3b7.jpg

4 hours ago, missingsid said:

When I put 90 calipers on my RRC axle there is definitely a difference in bolt dia, with imperial bolts the caliper would rattle when loose, test fitted with tube shims to ensure bolt spacing was OK, then helicoiled to match new 90 bolts and all is good.

I measured the bolts that came out and went back back in. The ones that came out were M12x1.25 and M12x1.75.  Initially I assumed the coarse threads were imperial but they were not. The replacements were the same.

Not sure why this is upside down.  Whilst this is quite messy due to the underseal,  it's not like the area between the bumpstop and axle case. That area had obviously been filled with crud and not cleaned creating a moisture trap.

I suppose the lesson here is the parts that will rot are the parts that don't get cleaned and treated. 

20220310_170352.thumb.jpg.1702a1808002e76cd4333fc06481b882.jpg