Land Rover Series Rear Lift Rings

GeorgetheLandy

Hello all,

Here is a little something unique and interesting that you may not see every day. I was told that these were Military Lift rings fitted to the rear of a Land Rover Series.  The first question is, is that true or do they belong to something else?  The second question is, if they are as described, whereabouts on the rear do they attach?

I got them from a friend of mine in the UK who had them lying around and he said I could have them.  I thought they’d make great recovery points but then became curious about his description.  Either way, they are well made and look like they might fit on the rear bumper and straddle one of the brackets welded to the back of it that fasten the body to the bumper, but would love to know more about them and where precisely they’d go.  If anyone has photos of them in situation that would be even better.

Hope you’re all well and stay safe.

G

E4D7C406-C0D7-4F8C-867E-32D73AB6DAD7.jpeg

5077C6E6-CCCB-4E37-9314-F13DCF57D61C.jpeg

3D265BEA-6799-43EA-8FBC-D1D486B25F63.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

That's correct although I've only seen them on Landrover Lightweight vehicles regards Stephen

20210823_132455.thumb.jpg.2b9d7bf3bf78b6e2c187b41bc7ea2e3f.jpg

So they don’t go on the rear?  I was told these were rear ones but that could be wrong.  At the moment I don’t know anything about them and just trying to figure out where they would have gone.  As you say, they may no go on a Series at all.  If in which case I’ll find a spot on the rear and make use of them as recovery points.

Thanks for your help.

G

Those do not date from the Series era, although they could be fitted to one.
The true Series rear Lift and Tow eyes are D rings, but larger than the ones fitted to the front bumper. The rear rings are on a 'squarer' base plate, whereas the fronts have tapered base plates. The rears also need shaped spacer plates, which can be home fabricated, to facilitate over lapping the bodywork mounting tabs on the rear cross-member.

They are included in both the Lightweight and Defender Parts listings.
Note that the ones shown by the OP are for the rear, whereas the ones shown by Stellaghost are for the front.

The rears have the attachent face relieved so the unit will overlap the body mounting tab on the rear crossmember.

I will attach two files from parts listings.
The 'Military vehicle' is the lightweight.
The other diagram, from the Defender, shows in better detail howe the eye overlaps the body mounting tab.

In addition, if you want bumperettes, for the civilian Series 2A, you need ones made for the Defender, NOT ones made for the Lightweight, as the crossmembers are different shapes.

Regards.

Lt'wt.gif

Def Rear L&T.gif

Lift+Tow ring, Rear.gif

Lift+Tow ring, Rear Nos.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

Those do not date from the Series era, although they could be fitted to one.
The true Series rear Lift and Tow eyes are D rings, but larger than the ones fitted to the front bumper. The rear rings are on a 'squarer' base plate, whereas the fronts have tapered base plates. The rears also need shaped spacer plates, which can be home fabricated, to facilitate over lapping the bodywork mounting tabs on the rear cross-member.

They are included in both the Lightweight and Defender Parts listings.
Note that the ones shown by the OP are for the rear, whereas the ones shown by Stellaghost are for the front.

The rears have the attachent face relieved so the unit will overlap the body mounting tab on the rear crossmember.

I will attach two files from parts listings.
The 'Military vehicle' is the lightweight.
The other diagram, from the Defender, shows in better detail howe the eye overlaps the body mounting tab.

In addition, if you want bumperettes, for the civilian Series 2A, you need ones made for the Defender, NOT ones made for the Lightweight, as the crossmembers are different shapes.

Regards.

Lt'wt.gif

Def Rear L&T.gif

Lift+Tow ring, Rear.gif

Lift+Tow ring, Rear Nos.gif

Thanks, this is really helpful.  I may consider tracking down a set of the square lift rings then, they look like they’d secure more effectively than the ones I have.

Thanks again, great help.

G