"Can you weld it ?" Off Topic, but gave me the giggles

JeffR

17 hours ago, paime said:

Is that technically still even a turbo ??

No, it now qualifies as a “macerator”.

Poor lad, having the head gasket go now.  Still, he’ll learn a lot like we did when we got our clapped out vehicles.  It’s something most millennials have never had to learn.

I'm about to enter my 40s - does that make me a millennial? Any way - I drove my first car (1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8TD) through floods thinking "its a diesel, it'll be fine". Got a good lesson in how to swap out bent con rods when I realised water doesn't compress. :blink:

1 hour ago, monkie said:

I'm about to enter my 40s - does that make me a millennial? Any way - I drove my first car (1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8TD) through floods thinking "its a diesel, it'll be fine". Got a good lesson in how to swap out bent con rods when I realised water doesn't compress. :blink:

I did say MOST.  It’s just a reflection of the fact that most of us who bought first cars before the mid to late 90s got fault riddled rust buckets that needed a lot of work to be drivable and never going to look smart, but since cars became more rust resistant and cheaper generally, most first cars since the millennium have been pretty tidy, the financial hurdle for young drivers no longer being getting a decent car but paying for its insurance.

I agree, my stupidity of driving through floods as a clueless new driver was a lesson in (a) not being so stupid and (b) learning how to fix my car as I didn't have the money to pay someone else to do it for me.

My first three cars were BL Minis and I learnt a whole lot. At least some of that transferred to the VW Type2 bus, and the two RR classics, now the Defender. 

My son (born 1998 - does that make him a millennial?) has just graduated MechEng&Design. We're part-funding his little Clio - but when MOT comes round I get him to come home. There's a space in the garage and I'll pay for the parts, but he has to do the work. 

Last 2 years we've had:

Front springs and shocks; front ARB links; waterpump and timing belt; and this year the rear shocks and some brake lines. 

At least he won't have to run to Halfords to change a fuse or light bulb. 

He has been involved in Formula Student for 5 years - but it's not the same as lying on your back fighting with rusty and seized fixings! 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, Snagger said:

No, it now qualifies as a “macerator”.

Poor lad, having the head gasket go now.  Still, he’ll learn a lot like we did when we got our clapped out vehicles.  It’s something most millennials have never had to learn.

Sadly it was my Golf that ate its head gasket....Nothing lasts these days, it's only done 305K. Needs a head (strangely enough I have a couple of spares...)

Stlii I have a willing helper, the youngun has been helping me, who says the youth of today are not willing to learn ! He's a keen learner, even got some labour to give me a hand swap the axle in the Landrover next week. 

I think we quite often underestimate todays youth. Most are keen and willing, but never get a chance, most modern cars you just plug em into a computer and Bobs your Uncle, you swap out the offending part.  He asked where the diagnostic port was for the LR, looked shocked when I told him that the only electronics on a 1985 Defender was the radio...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JeffR said:

Sadly it was my Golf that ate its head gasket....Nothing lasts these days, it's only done 305K. Needs a head (strangely enough I have a couple of spares...)

Stlii I have a willing helper, the youngun has been helping me, who says the youth of today are not willing to learn ! He's a keen learner, even got some labour to give me a hand swap the axle in the Landrover next week. 

I think we quite often underestimate todays youth. Most are keen and willing, but never get a chance, most modern cars you just plug em into a computer and Bobs your Uncle, you swap out the offending part.  He asked where the diagnostic port was for the LR, looked shocked when I told him that the only electronics on a 1985 Defender was the radio...

I think the generalisation is accurate, but there are always many exceptions to any stereotype.  My young colleagues are dependent on electronics, but some of them are very willing to learn how to do stuff the old way and do a better job for it, then being able to recognise when the electronics are stuffing it up and knowing how to intervene properly.  Like you, I relish the fact that the only electronics in my 109 are the radios.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I think the generalisation is accurate, but there are always many exceptions to any stereotype.  My young colleagues are dependent on electronics, but some of them are very willing to learn how to do stuff the old way and do a better job for it, then being able to recognise when the electronics are stuffing it up and knowing how to intervene properly.  Like you, I relish the fact that the only electronics in my 109 are the radios.

Radios... so it is even so lowtech you need two to get stereo? 🤣🤣

Sorry couldn't help it 🙂

/mads -who loves his 90 without a radio... so when I bring my Phone the Electronic lever rises by 100%!?

2 hours ago, toenden said:

Sorry couldn't help it 🙂

/mads -who loves his 90 without a radio... so when I bring my Phone the Electronic lever rises by 100%!?

Somewhere in a box of bits, I have an old 8 track that I was going to fit, only got one tape though, Bob Dylan (I think). Yes I would need two for stereo as the mice ate some of the passenger side speaker cone years ago and I never got round to sorting it out... The stereo, by the way, has a cassette player too, so it is really high tech

2 hours ago, toenden said:

Sorry couldn't help it 🙂

Nah, don’t care about stereo and the balancing or “fade”.  I just wanted a simple unit that I could listen to Radio 2 and Radio 4.  Instead, in order to try to avoid garish bright colours and have something with lighting that matched the instruments, I had to buy a unit that has adjustable LED colour lighting, so is far more complex with all the other options, and goes into a bloody awful demonstration mode of changing through the full spectrum any time it loses all power from the battery.  🤬. The other radio is the CB, a cheap and second hand Midland unit, nothing interesting.