Range Rover Sport engine fire damage

Simon_CSK

No small list of items changed too, I really hope it works for the effort you've put in, but the pessimist in me is screaming there will be some crazy integration issues after you've changed controllers etc. I so hope there isn't.

🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

No small list of items changed too, I really hope it works for the effort you've put in, but the pessimist in me is screaming there will be some crazy integration issues after you've changed controllers etc. I so hope there isn't.

🤞🤞🤞

I think there will be some computer issues. My driver at ATM is one where I replaced the ECU's because I couldn't get a key from LR because of the chip shortage. I have a need to reprogram the headlights and the suspension so expect similar with this project.

Today while trying to find the hole for the dip stick with a camera I discovered a breather pipe on the turbo feed pipe needs to be replaced and that is going to be an absolute Bu**er to do because of the location.

• Sad 1

Battery in today and dash lights up but I have a big F on the display and will not crank but there are two things on the immobiliser I have not done.

1. the key innards have not been changes so was holding the transponder to the side of the ignition key

2. The antenna on the ignition switch has not been changed. 

I will go and investigate the fault codes to see what is coming up.

• 3 weeks later...

New Year and the latest update.

Was under the donor vehicle today with the intention of removing the gearbox ECU and this was a complete drama.

The first thing I needed to do was remove a heat shield and support frame from the underside. You would think this is easy but you need to remove the selector cable to get to one of the support frame bolts. 

Then I went to remove the torxs bolts around the perimeter of the filter the five to the front and four to the rear are directly under cross members the rear four requiring the removal of the gearbox support cross member to get access, two of the front bolts relatively east to get to but three middle ones needed removing by ESP because they were so difficult to get to. 

At this point I was hoping the sump could be manoeuvred out not a chance!! So I think then that I can remove the CAT that is sitting directly under the back of the sump. I got access to and was able to remove one outside bolt the other two I just could not get purchase on. Eventually gave up so tomorrow the intention is to try and get the CATS off and the sump removed so that I can get the ECU out.

Then I will need to go through this H*LL again to get the sump off the project to change over the ECU.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, Bigj66 said:

I’ve been thinking about getting a mk1 supercharged Rangy Sport but now I’m not so sure…😂

Me too and that is definitely my next car only I want the 5.0 as they sound awesome. The 3.6's are rapid but really really want a 5.0 as it has nearly double the power.

Oh and it's been too wet to crawl under the car so it is sitting there while I fix my D3's wishbone after the car has been sitting for nearly 12 months.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well sadly this is the last update. I was trying to change the gearbox ECU last weekend as that is the last major item I thought I needed to do to get it running.

In order to remove the gearbox sump I needed to remove the skid plate under the engine. This was probably something I should have done at the very start of the project as it revealed the fire had been down below and burnt and charred pipes and cables at this level too. The upshot being that I would need to remove the body shell and the engine to get to the parts to replace them and it just isn't worth the effort. 

I am going to break the car for spares. The upside I have vastly more knowledge about the Sport TDV8 engine bay set up than I did before I started so will have more confidence in the future.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Simon_CSK said:

Well sadly this is the last update. I was trying to change the gearbox ECU last weekend as that is the last major item I thought I needed to do to get it running.

In order to remove the gearbox sump I needed to remove the skid plate under the engine. This was probably something I should have done at the very start of the project as it revealed the fire had been down below and burnt and charred pipes and cables at this level too. The upshot being that I would need to remove the body shell and the engine to get to the parts to replace them and it just isn't worth the effort. 

I am going to break the car for spares. The upside I have vastly more knowledge about the Sport TDV8 engine bay set up than I did before I started so will have more confidence in the future.

Bad luck Simon , I really thought you had this one in the bag but never mind , chin up , & onwards to the next project & please dont forget to do your very informative project posts as they are a great read for myself , regards Paul .

17 hours ago, P38 Paul said:

Bad luck Simon , I really thought you had this one in the bag but never mind , chin up , & onwards to the next project & please dont forget to do your very informative project posts as they are a great read for myself , regards Paul .

Thanks Paul the price of the cars has fallen but the parts will remain the same so I will be able to get my money back out of it quickly I think.

The next one is a Turbo swap hopefully.