Range Rover Sport engine fire damage

Simon_CSK

Lovely engine fire that I am now going to attempt to get back on the road. I have most if not all of the parts so this should just be a simple case of swapping them over after first stripping out the dashboard and half of the engine.

20210920_171633.thumb.jpg.4023df15ab75b888bf8d2e0ef2a67e65.jpg

20210920_171642.thumb.jpg.3d2e53aebb9880eb1c9541f662459481.jpg

20210923_164048.thumb.jpg.5fc86149daa3821fc6e939f9240d6350.jpg

20210923_164205.thumb.jpg.586a56b4b3658f0205edf7a2602b758e.jpg

Starting to cut out some of the burnt wiring this is the first signs of the really bad fire damage.

20211013_142628.thumb.jpg.5a2edafcab093dabd4bc6fdb8f4ef917.jpg++

The wiring running on the underside of the scuttle panel has now been cut out which allows me into the back of the engine. I think as a precaution I will swap out all of the ECU's and any sensors that look obviously damaged. One component that has been damaged strangely is the steering rack which is at the bottom from of the engine as far away ad possible from the obvious seat of the fire.

20211013_142635.thumb.jpg.dcbfa97aa25b1c8dea94f798116a7ad3.jpg

I shouldn't need any parts as I have a car with all the spares on it. Given the wiring has fried it will potentially take the ecu's with it so am just going to replace them all to be on the safe side. The car only has 87k miles on the clock and is a very nice car apart from the obvious engine fire. Someone has really loved it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got the wiring loom 90% out of the donor vehicle and what a trial that was although I have been doing it a little at a time. Dash was fully removed and all the ECU's behind have been taken out and stored to go back into the project car. After seeing the damage to the wiring I am going to reuse the salvaged electronics rather than the original ones.

The dash will need to come out of the project anyway just to check for fire damage and when I am so far in it make sense to be sure that eveything is going to work properly. So on the list of things to change is the ABS pump, the servo and master cylinder, BCU all the ECU's the sterring rack (one boot was burnt off) wheel arch liner and I am sure there is loads more I have forgotten. Am thinking this weekend I will be able to realistically start to strip the project. I have already cut out some of the damaged wiring and removed some of the top end of the engine to try and ascertain the  extent of the damage but not really got my hands dirty yet. 

32 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

I have now got the wiring loom 90% out of the donor vehicle and what a trial that was although I have been doing it a little at a time. Dash was fully removed and all the ECU's behind have been taken out and stored to go back into the project car. After seeing the damage to the wiring I am going to reuse the salvaged electronics rather than the original ones.

The dash will need to come out of the project anyway just to check for fire damage and when I am so far in it make sense to be sure that eveything is going to work properly. So on the list of things to change is the ABS pump, the servo and master cylinder, BCU all the ECU's the sterring rack (one boot was burnt off) wheel arch liner and I am sure there is loads more I have forgotten. Am thinking this weekend I will be able to realistically start to strip the project. I have already cut out some of the damaged wiring and removed some of the top end of the engine to try and ascertain the  extent of the damage but not really got my hands dirty yet. 

Not done a Sport but had to take the entire dash out to change a Blower motor on a 2012 L322, all the earlier ones have a bodge to get round having to have the lot out, the later ones don't. I can only presume the sport was a similar level of fun! Everything is possible though

54 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Not done a Sport but had to take the entire dash out to change a Blower motor on a 2012 L322, all the earlier ones have a bodge to get round having to have the lot out, the later ones don't. I can only presume the sport was a similar level of fun! Everything is possible though

Having pulled a few dashes out of sports now it is much less daunting than the first time. The douor I went down further than previously and removed the alloy support frame which would need removing to replace the heater matrix and blower motor. The only issue with doing that much is time. I needed to strip out the centre console as well. 

I am preparing to remove the dash from the project over the weeked 

• Like 1

Now getting close to starting to replace components that were damaged. 

The next job I need to do it to replace the OS rocker cover and injectors. The injectors are fairly straight forward but is there any particular quirks to installing the rocker cover? Want to be sure I maintain the seal and to not damage the cover. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking much better this evening. Have started rebuilding to top of the engine. The inlet maniforld needs to come back off as I still have the spillage pipes and the main fuel feed to connect which I am hopeful of getting done tomorrow. Along with a few other bits and bobs.

Will not be long now until I an at the stage where I can strip out the dash and start getting the wiring loom back in. At that stage it will be heading for the downward slopes. Then all being well it will be a good running vehicle.1636822222525.thumb.JPEG.5491566a52ab027a94019e5a59ec1855.JPEG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What made me think this was a good idea???

😭

At least I am heading in the right direction now. It should be a case now mainly getting the loom in place and plugging eveyrhing in. But my guess is that will be easier to say than to actually do. Feeding the loom throught the inner wing on the nearside on it's own was a right pain and I have three more holes to feed it through.

20211128_145716.thumb.jpg.61e9f76bfbf844856aa1ed1ec99df6e9.jpg

20211128_145728.thumb.jpg.a1e8199ce06dcec5e3db85575aeb4ba9.jpg

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Keep taking the tablets (Chocolate treats).

Unfortunately there is no treats in the box only zip lock bags and lots of fixings from the dash. 

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

Hehe the things we do for fun...:ph34r:

And you think this is fun?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Maverik said:

I wonder if there's an opportunity here... "land rover owners anonymous"...

My name is Simon and I am an addict it has been 10 minutes since I was last under the bonnet of a Range Rover. 

BTW today in the last hour I have fitted part of the loom, fed it through one of the bulkhead holes and through both inner wings, refitted the windscreen wiper wiring and wired and plumbed in the ABS pump. But I cannot stop thinking about refitting the ECU's

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

49 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

My name is Simon and I am an addict it has been 10 minutes since I was last under the bonnet of a Range Rover. 

BTW today in the last hour I have fitted part of the loom, fed it through one of the bulkhead holes and through both inner wings, refitted the windscreen wiper wiring and wired and plumbed in the ABS pump. But I cannot stop thinking about refitting the ECU's

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thought of you earlier - there is a 2008 3.6TDV8 L322 with a blown turbo on the fullfatrr forum for £2k if you fancy another project!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Thought of you earlier - there is a 2008 3.6TDV8 L322 with a blown turbo on the fullfatrr forum for £2k if you fancy another project!

Don't I'm bad enough at the moment. Have a 2009 Sport waiting for replacement turbos which I will play with after the fire damaged one is either running or broken up. Am hoping for the former however the latter is always a possibility.

After this weekends work I am very close now to starting her up. Getting to the proof stage.

I do have a problem with the gear selector in that the selection is not smooth and suspect I have routed the change cable incorrectly. Will check out one of my other cars over the course of the week.

I still need to change an ABS sensor and need to drop the OS strut to connect the new air pipe. Have some connections still to do under the bonnet and the centre console to finish rebuilding. Power steering rack needs to be changes  but TBH I am not too far away.

Perhaps next weekend, if it is dry I can put  a battery in and fire her up. A brown trouser moment wondering if it will run or will it go up in flames. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Escape said:

Fingers crossed she fires up first time! You're a braver man than me going in that deep...

Filip

Filip

It wasn't that deep. If I didn't need to remove the dash to get to one plug, i.e. a big green one going to the BCU everything else was very much on the surface and easy to get to. I changed all the ECU's as a precaution because a. I had them and b. I was in their anyway. 

Having done a few dash's now I can honestly just about do them in my sleep. Your project, my next one, with the turbo's I think is deeper.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas to one and all.

We have had a couple of dry days since Christmas so have managed to squeeze in some time on the Sport.

After a lot of faf I removed the gearbox cross member to drop the gearbox just enough to change the wiring loom and freed up the selector mechanism. I am now very close to trying to start it after all the work that has been done. I just need to refit the dip stick which I will need my endoscope to find the hole in the block. Once that is done I can put a battery in the car and see if my work has paid off or the car is going to be scrapped. 

So weather permitting tomorrow I should know if I have a bargain or a very expensive door stop.

• Like 2

Here is a list of the parts that I have changed.

RH Rocker cover.

Heater hoses

Inlet manifold and throttle controls

5 injectors

Servo and master cylinder.

ABS pump

Webasto heater

Engine bay wiring loom

RHF wheel arch liner

RHF flexi brake hose

RHF ABS sensor

Gearbox wiring loom

All ECU's

EFG valves

AIr filter box

Steering rack although may get away with a gator

Top radiator fan cover

Bonnet liner

AIr con pipes

Felt bulkhead liner.

Battery and brake box

Engine cover.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, Maverik said:

No small feat, I'd be interested to know the cost of this venture once completed.

Maverik

I have spent £250 so far and £160 of that was for knock sensors which the replacement loom, from a later car, doesn't have so whilst they are fitted they are not used and a possible saving.

Only the MOT to pay for now.

• Thanks 1