1987 2.5 NA to V8 conversion - gearbox stuff

I've been trawling through the various postings on this conversion and pretty sure this is the way I'm going on my vehicle. I'm currently going through the first pass of the planning process. I'm pretty comfortable with most aspects of what I'm in for in this job.

Thinking to go 3.5 or possibly 3,9, largely because it's an engine I'm very familiar with, and an R380 box. At the rear end I currently have a very good 1.41 LT230R and would expect to use that.

A little delving and I find the Defender R380 box models are the 60A and 61A. These seem to have the same gear ratios, so can anybody tell me what the difference is? I'm quite happy rebuilding R380's, and indeed LT77's, and will be looking for a suitable R380 that I can rebuild. On that basis, I assume I can use any suitable R380 as long as I use the correct input shaft? That would give me a wider choice of second hand units to choose from rather than specifically looking for Defender model.

Is it reasonable to assume that any R380 will mate with my LT230R?

Finally (for now!), what bellhousing am I looking for? I assume that the length of my current LT77 from the front of the steel casing to the back of the rear ally casing is the same as an R380? I'm obviously wanting to make sure the position of the engine mounts will end up in the same place as the 1987 factory models.

Grateful for any help in pinning this down - don't want to start buying the wrong stuff! Once I understand what I'm after I'll start posting wanted ads...

Thanks

Phill

All back ends of R380s are the same so will mate to the LT230 okay, as long as you rebuild with a V8 input shaft/pinion then you can build up any spec you want in terms of shifter position etc.

An R380 is an inch longer then an LT77, and so the two V8-type bellhousings are also a different length so that the overall package length is the same. This is important as an LT77 V8 bellhousing will fit onto an R380 but will be too long and not allow the input shaft to properly engage with the back of the crankshaft. From memory the correct R380 bellhousing is about 11” long compared to the LT77 one at c. 12”.

R380 V8 bellhousings are fairly rare, but Ashcrofts do make their own new ones if it comes to it.

Hey - that's brilliant, thanks. That looks like the solution I'm looking for. One further query, does the R380 with 11" bellhousing bring the sticks out in the "correct" place? 

I've done some searches on the Ashcroft website, but can't find the item. I'll put in a query and see what comes back

6 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

All back ends of R380s are the same

Defender ones have a different shifter turret mounting to the Disco/RR ones although Ashcroft do a conversion kit for them I think - it looks like you should be able to bolt a Defender shifter onto a RR/Disco box but you can't... ask me how I found that out ;)

As for engine choice, I'd be looking at cheap MOT-failed but running V8 Disco 2's and P38's as the 4.0 / 4.6 give a few useful improvements like better oil pumps, single serpentine ancillary belt, and cross-bolted mains as well as a useful torque boost over the 3.5.

Thanks guys - I think I'm getting there on gearboxes...

16 hours ago, rednaxela said:

https://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/product/r380-v8-bellhousing/

Then I think you'll need FRC 2859 cover plate.

Great! I'd overlooked this item, but if I understand correctly this will bolt directly onto the back of a good old 3.5/3.9 and have everything line up correctly? Just want to make sure before I start ordering parts! I understand the cover plate issue, that doesn't sound like a big deal.

14 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Defender ones have a different shifter turret mounting to the Disco/RR ones although Ashcroft do a conversion kit for them I think

Thanks for the tip. However. Can't find this either. Ashcroft search facility seems to have changed since last I used them and I'm now having trouble finding anything unless it's obvious...

Will lodge a query with them.

13 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Considered going auto? 

My personal preference is manual, and R380 over LT77 for a bunch of reasons

5 hours ago, missingsid said:

You're on the Rover V8 engine appreciation Facebook group then,

Yeah - only found out about it the other day. Hoping to start work on this project early Jan, and so setting about collecting up the right bits

Thanks again all

So I think I have just two more questions to nail down the gearbox side of things...

1) I assume the LHS mounting bracket fits onto the R380 box in the same place as the LT77 that's coming out? Or is it a grinding and welding job to get an R380 specific bracket in the right place?

2) What about the body aspects. Am I going to need to chop the bulkhead about, replace floor, tunnel or seat box with R380 jobs?

Thanks - Phill

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I'm on top of this now, but just before I start spending money I thought I'd test where I've arrived at on you guys. I've spent this afternoon stripping down a quite good R380that will need overhaul. Its a 55A 0600 and something suffix J, i.e. a Discovery box so:

1. Existing Input shaft has 22 teeth, so it looks like the part I will need for the V8 will be FTC5044
  2. I picked up a bell housing that I think is the correct one - 277mm between faces
  3. I think the crankshaft bush will be the usual 549911
  4. I'll probably use the Disco to Defender adapter kit from Synchro Gearboxes so I can use my LT77 gear change unit
  5. I have some clutch parts, the guide FRC4803, lever 576137 and push rod 571160. Looking at p331 in the parts book, I think all the rest of the bits should be available

Anybody able to say whether that lot sounds about right?

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'm in the workshop tomorrow, I'll try and measure my bellhousing.

I have a pile of V8 clutch release arms here if one of those is of any use.

Thanks for that! I'll put up some pics this evening of what I've got - much easier to see what's what that way

Excellent - thanks. I picked up the bell housing I have via the "Rover V8 Engine Appreciation" Facebook page. Here's what I have - I haven't cleaned it yet. I assume the casting date is saying 1986 rather than the 1998 I'd prefer it to say?

20220108_104030.thumb.jpg.36c8d3bab3f261756b764a3d262ed945.jpg

20220108_104051.thumb.jpg.b9915f1e20d7a6cd18674a658b11f633.jpg

20211221_131059.thumb.jpg.19b34adb41fc6d5d2db06a698a829dc1.jpg

20220108_104807.thumb.jpg.9a892acf3845b8044d5c265a43ca17d3.jpg

The clutch parts in the last pic look re-useable, but I haven't yet investigated the other bits needed, or plastic bits that need to be replaced. Busy in the guts of the box just now...

I think XCess4x4 do a stainless steel clip and I think also sell the all-metal clutch release bearings which are more resilient than the stock plastic ones. The metal clutch bearings are fairly available everywhere if Nige doesn't have any.

Here's my shamefully filthy bellhousing:

20220108_115659ajpg.thumb.jpg.c7e0fabad40ac0a74d57108a252ef276.jpg

On 1/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I think XCess4x4 do a stainless steel clip

Ok - haven't come across them before, will take a look at what they have....

On 1/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Here's my shamefully filthy bellhousing

Thanks for that - looks plausible that it's what I have. What gearbox do you have? Think I'm just going to have to go and buy an FTC5044 pinion on sale or return and mock up the front of the gearbox to see if it all fits together properly

5 hours ago, Phill S said:

Thanks for that - looks plausible that it's what I have. What gearbox do you have? Think I'm just going to have to go and buy an FTC5044 pinion on sale or return and mock up the front of the gearbox to see if it all fits together properly

I have an R380, but it was built by Ashcrofts for me so it's got the V8 front end with a Defender shifter housing, plus their usual upgrades.

19 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I have an R380, but it was built by Ashcrofts for me so it's got the V8 front end with a Defender shifter housing, plus their usual upgrades.

Ok - thanks. I think I know what I need for the box now. I'll itemise once I have it all working.

That looks too good to miss! I owe you beer

Who would have thought that the right thing would turn up at exactly the right time. I was about to start ordering parts this morning - for the record, David Ashcroft got back to me last night to confirm that FTC5044 would be the correct input shaft/pinion.

I just have to work out how to get it from Oban to Lands End complete with delicate pipework and ineffective oil cooler...