Fitting recovery points on the front of a 110

Hi,

Here's a question from the inexperienced me about pulling another vehicle 'out' with my 110 300TDi. I'm thinking specifically about when in snow.

If necessary, I have a standard tow ball at the back and can fit a tow rope and a shackle to the other vehicle's front tow point. That would be good for the occasional extraction. However what can I use at the front, if I need to be pointing that way?

I have transferred over (at chassis change) the normal tie-down eyes. Is there something that I can add there (Jate rings?) that are permanently fitted, to which I can quickly attach a rope - with shackles?

Or am I better fitting recovery eyes to my standard front bumper? Like these on 4x4overlander? link.

As I said, please excuse the simplicity of the question. 

Personally I don't like those recovery eyes. In my opinion the best options are jate rings, a decent bumper with recovery eyes (bolted on to more than just the four bolts on the dumb irons) or a steering guard with recovery eyes (bolted through both in front and behind the front cross member). Jate rings are best used with a bridle, it's all about spreading the load through the chassis.

Mike

Lashing eyes are for lashing only. Not recovery. 

Jate rings are good but you need shackles and they are tucked under a decent way. A bridle can be handy or a long rope to double back. 

If you want to use a recovery point on the bumper the bumper needs to be held on with high tensile nuts & bolts. You’ll also need a min 3mm spreader plate behind the recovery point. Stock bumpers are weak and will bend, so you may need to offset near a chassis leg or strengthen. 

Kinetic ropes works wonders for all types of  recovery and towing. 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Lashing eyes are for lashing only. Not recovery.

Yes understand that. I would remove them.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Jate rings are good but you need shackles and they are tucked under a decent way

Are these left on permanently so they are ready for use?

8 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Jate rings are best used with a bridle

Jate rings sounds quick and easy at this point. Is a bridle a shorter strop of some sort? Is that what's sometimes seen wrapped around the A bar or somewhere?

Also what connection is then made between the bridle and the tow rope?

My preference is a 50mm ball or a pintle hitch bolted through the bumper, WITH AN APPROPRIATE REINFORCING PLATE BEHIND THE BUMPER.

Mine is in line with the driver's side chassis leg for best visibility when I'm maneuvering  trailers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Yes understand that. I would remove them.

Are these left on permanently so they are ready for use?

Jate rings sounds quick and easy at this point. Is a bridle a shorter strop of some sort? Is that what's sometimes seen wrapped around the A bar or somewhere?

Also what connection is then made between the bridle and the tow rope?

Lashing eyes are removed & replaced with JATE rings More info here  12th item from top RRC3237

permanently fitted

bridle connected with 2 rated shackles minimum of 3.25tonne each] or a decent tow strap or rope with hooks on each end, towing a car on level ground I just connect to one JATE ring.

pass the bridle through tow rope strap eye 

my front left JATE ring 

IMG_0121.jpg.c67d616c2e403d1dd22610d76378a99f.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mickeyw said:

My preference is a 50mm ball or a pintle hitch bolted through the bumper, WITH AN APPROPRIATE REINFORCING PLATE BEHIND THE BUMPER.

That's OK for moving stuff around but a stock bumper is not up to recovery loads, especially from a point mounted in the middle. It probably won't pull out but it may bend it into a nice big Vee shape.

The military bumpers with a towing pintle in the middle are a nice solution, or as others say JATE rings plus a bridle and shackle(s) to spread the load and save having to reach under a mucky land rover to try and find the damn things.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

That's OK for moving stuff around but a stock bumper is not up to recovery loads, especially from a point mounted in the middle. It probably won't pull out but it may bend it into a nice big Vee shape.

Hence the reason I emphasised the reinforcing plate 👍

10mm plate makes a standard bumper very strong.