300tdi timing case close to steering box

A couple of other measurements: the vehicle seems dead level left-right but not front to back so difficult to use levels, and I can't move it because the fuel pump is away being dieselbobbed. But straight edge across the rad frame front-back down to the bumper is 492mm. Straight edge across the oil filler to the bumper is 545mm (but that depends on the angle of the engine on its mounts of course) .  From the top of the bumper to the top of the frame looks like being 12mm (3mm bumper but brackets and things lift it a bit) so add that if you're measuring relative to the dumb irons.

Thanks all for the measurements and thoughts.

I pulled the fan cowl off a genuine 300tdi (ESR2308) and compared it to the one I have, they are different, not by much but certainly different.

With the gearbox in the position I think it will end up (new crossmember not here yet) the genuine fan cowl fits 😁. Wonder what on earth my cowl comes from?

Just need to find one now and that is this part of the puzzle solved

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 2:04 PM, L19MUD said:

OK a bit of an update, part good and part bad. I pulled the crossmember off the gearbox and have lowered the gearbox down approx 10mm as per the crossmember I am expecting. To recap I already have a 10mm spacer under the RHS engine mount and I will plan to put one under the LHS too once I get them from Richards.

This now gives me loads of space between the PS box and the timing case. In line with what others have, and also some clearance now above the gearbox to the seatbox. Some good news finally!!

Using this measurement I checked the same, putting a flat bar across the oil filler cap at 90 degrees to the engine. I measured the other side as there is not a clear run down on the drivers side with the pipes and fuel pump etc. This gives me a reading of 458mm, so 8mm less than you. With the packer under the LHS engine mount I expect that to come up 10 mm and therefore be very close to what you have

1757756247_Engineheight.thumb.jpg.3037d538b15cca92458e1fe6b6cd2a98.jpg

I then checked the fan height relative to the top of the rad as my fan is still too low to fit within the cowling. This give a measurement of 20mm below the rad pack. Can anyone easily measure what they have?511759323_Fantoradpack.thumb.jpg.6084141a20567b613f8ad3a3e5742721.jpg

The fan is part number ER2789 which checks out as the correct part. I think googled the fan cowl to see if I had the right one. Looking at the pictures for ESR2308 it looks like I do?

271042079_cowlfront.thumb.jpg.9f7fdd02814ba3d7ffdd9df5d252208e.jpg

1068930249_cowlback.thumb.jpg.a29ee8ff7395fa9c7d3073d68f2c9396.jpg

The fan cowl indicates that I would be expecting the fan to protrude above the rad which mine does not. Next question I guess is what height should the top of the rad pack come to relative to the top of the chassis?

Defender 300tdi fan shroud is definitely ESR2308. 

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

I think those steel frames will have matching dimensions between Defenders and RRC/D1, given that they use the same radiators and intercoolers, but I think they differ underneath.  The pins are attached to some sloped brackets, at least on the Discovery/RRC version, and if the Defender type doesn’t have those brackets, just the pins, then they would make a Discovery frame sit high.

I thought the disco and RRC ones the lower pegs drop into holes in the chassis rather than brackets on the front crossmember like the defender stuff?

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

I thought the disco and RRC ones the lower pegs drop into holes in the chassis rather than brackets on the front crossmember like the defender stuff?

The one in my 109 came from a 200Tdi Discovery and has two slanting mounts on the bottom of the frame, to which the pins are attached.  They are inboard of the chassis rails and sit on a cross member.  I haven’t compared it to the one in my RRC and never removed the rad assembly from my wife’s late Defender to compare.

The crossmember from Richards arrived today, as they stated it drops the gearbox mounts by 10mm relative to the mounting holes. This has resulted in my 16-17mm gap from the bottom rails to the handbrake dropping down by 17-18mm, so just fractionally below the rails

Crossmember.thumb.jpg.f81255e78d3f8f73c14cc101e8c97fd8.jpg

I have also solved the cowling mystery. I had a 200tdi Range Rover cowl on the shelf and it turns out to be identical to the one that was fitted on the 110 before. Just shows how far out from standard the 300tdi had been mounted

• Like 3