300tdi timing case close to steering box

I have just dropped my engine and gearbox into my new Richards chassis. When fitting the steering box I have probably only 2-3mm of clearance. Looking at another 300tdi there should be more like 15mm I think

The engine mounts have no adjustment in them but the front drivers side (RHD) does appear to be twisted forward slightly. The gearbox mount on that side had to be pushed with a bar to get into the rearmost of the slotted hole. Do the gearbox crossmembers normally come with slotted holes to allow for adjustment? Mine has just got normal holes

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes I can, the issue however is that my chassis was a 200tdi chassis that was later swapped to a 300tdi in the standard 300tdi position so welded on mounts might not have been quite right anyway. 

21 minutes ago, steve b said:

You're welcome to measure the 300 tdi 110 chassis I'm working on now and the old rusty one is still here too .

I've also got the front calipers (vented) off it too - new ones going on the build 

Steve 

Thanks Steve. Will drop you a PM

2 minutes ago, pat_pending said:

Oh well, worth an ask, I remember thinking I'd have to swap to an Adwest when I considered replacing my 200tdi with a 300.

I found this picture and it appears there should be plenty of clearance.

replacing-a-300tdi-timing-belt_20.jpg.88782a12ec63005dab63d44781b74c95.jpg

Certainly a lot more clearance than I have. Looking at that the engine is much higher than mine in relation to the steering box. I did not change the engine mounts as they looked fine but now wondering if that is the cause. Worst case I could pack them up to lift the engine

I spent a lot of time on my recent 110 300tdi chassis rebuild from Richards scratching my head as to why nothing seemed to be sitting quite right. Turns out they had drilled the holes in the chassis for the gearbox cross member in the wrong place. They sent me modified crossmember to counteract the incorrectly drilled holes in the end. 

Richards were very helpful in resolving the matter (despite me initally assuming it was something I'd messed up), but certainly pretty frustrating and a lot of wasted time. 

Brother in Laws mate had same problem with a 200 Tdi 90 chassis from them. The mounts were in the right place, but were set slightly further apart. ISTR that the actual mount brackets were a bit smaller, and this had the effect of dropping the engine down. It doesnt take much. Solved by making some packers out of 8mm plate.

300 mounts are flatter (more horizontal) though, so this fault wouldnt have quite the same effect.

10 hours ago, Crashbanggg said:

I spent a lot of time on my recent 110 300tdi chassis rebuild from Richards scratching my head as to why nothing seemed to be sitting quite right. Turns out they had drilled the holes in the chassis for the gearbox cross member in the wrong place. They sent me modified crossmember to counteract the incorrectly drilled holes in the end. 

Richards were very helpful in resolving the matter (despite me initally assuming it was something I'd messed up), but certainly pretty frustrating and a lot of wasted time. 

Not ideal and not good to hear! The other two chassis I have had from them have been fine with no problems

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

Brother in Laws mate had same problem with a 200 Tdi 90 chassis from them. The mounts were in the right place, but were set slightly further apart. ISTR that the actual mount brackets were a bit smaller, and this had the effect of dropping the engine down. It doesnt take much. Solved by making some packers out of 8mm plate.

300 mounts are flatter (more horizontal) though, so this fault wouldnt have quite the same effect.

I am beginning to think the mounts are too low but in the right place. I will measure up all the critical points and then compare that to the genuine chassis that Steve B has at the weekend. I do have another 300tdi locally to me that I look after but will be easier measuring something up that is already stripped of bodywork

I don't really understand how they can get this sort of thing wrong though? Surely they have a jig for all of this and every bracket/weld should be in exactly the same place each time?

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

I don't really understand how they can get this sort of thing wrong though? Surely they have a jig for all of this and every bracket/weld should be in exactly the same place each time?

I wonder if its a jig that does multiple different things and was used in the wrong manner. It does seem strange! 

One of the many faults on my new chassis (different well know supplier) was the engine mounts and gear box cross member with transmission mounts being in the wrong places - all are an inch or so too far aft, and that caused a lot of knock on issues.  As far as I know, mine was their last 109 chassis, presumably because those faults, plus the misalignment of the rear spring shackle hangars, front dumb iron spring bolt holes and all the tub support hoops showed their jig was useless.  Just because a chassis has come from a well renowned supplier and was built on a tried an trusted jig, it doesn’t guarantee anything.

14 minutes ago, Snagger said:

As far as I know, mine was their last 109 chassis

I wonder how many they had made before yours and if they were originally built to the correct specification? It's not unusual for jigs and fixtures to wear but to 'move' that far is surprising at least.

• 5 months later...

OK so to update what I did to clear the power steering box. I just added some 10mm plate under the RH mount and managed to get enough clearance. However the problem has reared its head again. My viscos fan won't fit by about 25mm, that is a huge amount

To recap this is a 300tdi discovery engine in a Richards chassis that is new. I have checked and the engine mount locations appear correct to other 300tdi's I have measured, also the Discovery and Defender engine mounts are identical part numbers. 

This takes me to the gearbox mounts. The Discovery 300tdi appears to use the older style mounts that carried from the 200tdi so I am now pretty confident from pictures online of part ANR2898 and ANR3225 that I have the right gearbox mounts too. What is now playing on my mind is the comment from Crashbangg above....

On 1/6/2022 at 10:28 PM, Crashbanggg said:

This could be my answer. Need to go and get the tape measure out

@Crashbanggg did they give you any measurements to check?

6 minutes ago, steve b said:

What's the clearance between the top of the gearbox and the tunnel flange on the seat box ? 

Steve

It is almost touching at the top. 1mm gap. Remember I used a template to make a new flange for the seatbox and then fitted a genuine tunnel which did then fit fine. I am guessing it should be a lot more than that?

A couple of dimensions from the 300Tdi 110 sw I'm part way through building onto a GKN chassis  

A straight edge across the underside of the main rails under the hand brake drum , gap is about 2 - 3 mm

A level on the back of fifth gear housing at the highest point to the top of the seat box forward mounting bracket (floor level give or take a couple of mill) 190mm

Front to back position , rear of front cross member to front face of crank pulley/damper 115mm

Minimum clearance between PAS box and cam belt chest 20mm

Edit to add , transfer box mounts are welded to the chassis 

Steve

Edited by steve b