Removing brake pipe without loosing fluid.

I need to replace my solid brake pipe on the front RH of my 90. This is the solid pipe between flex and master cylinder.  I want to minimise fluid loss so is there a technique to do this?

I have seen somewhere that you can fit a piece of polythene over the fluid tank and fit a plain cap - but I don't have a plain cap!

I think I may have seen that if you use a piece of wood to depress the brake pedal slightly that this stops the fluid leaking out - does this work?

Open to suggestions if anyone has other methods. 

Many thanks 

Mick 

I've never heard of either of these techniques, but since you are replacing a length of brake line you'll have to bleed the system anyway, so I don't see a problem in draining the brake fluid reservoir.  Provided you don't move the brake pedal whilst the reservoir is empty I don't think that the other brake lines would have any air bubbles in them when you refill the reservoir.  I would still be inclined to do a proper/full bleed operation on all four wheels once the new line section and relevant caliper has been bled.

Mike

In the past I've made the pipe up ready to fit, ensured joints are able to be removed easily ( work them with a spanner to make sure they are free ) disconnect top first and fit new pipe keeping open end above master cylinder level if possible, remove old pipe and connect new one but not tight, once fluid leaks through slack joint, tighten up, 9 times out of 10 I don't need to bleed further. Hope this helps regards Stephen

• Like 1

You can try brimming the master cylinder and putting cling film over the opening, then screw the lid on. It relies on being airtight, doesn't always work. You could plug the master cylinder pipe connection once you have removed the pipe, a sealed up short piece of old pipe works, till you are ready to reconnect. You will lose a bit whatever. Or if you are replacing the pipe, cut it and seal the end, leave in place till you are ready to attach the new 

Well I tried the wood on the pedal. I lost some fluid but not too much. I had pre made a cap as cackshifter recommended and the fluid had stopped dripping before I got cap on, so perhaps depressing the pedal works - I am not sure as I would not know what to expect. 

I do intend intend to fully bleed/replace the fluid when I have fitted the calipers but I did not want to loose all the fluid out of the tank as I believe this makes it more awkward to bleed. 

I wanted the pipes off first so I could copy them in cunifer. Hopefully I will finish the RH side tomorrow and I  will start on the left too. I also put a wire brush on the rear bleed nipples and give them a dose of Plusgas.  Fingers crossed they come loose so I can do the full system. 

19 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Make up a pair of female fittings, with short crimped over pieces of pipe in them, and use these as caps for the lines wherever needed.

Or, place a small ball bearing (about 5mm diameter) inside the compression fitting.  Even done up finger tight, it seals the fitting pretty well

• Like 3