Head gasket maybe. Water leak definitely.

Well it's only two years and 7,000 miles since I refitted the head on my 300TDi following a piston replacement and bore honing. I have been wondering about a few little drops of water that started to appear at the back of the engine. I have been trying to tell myself that it's condensation as my garage temperature follows the outside and it's been up and down recently.

This week it has warmed-up and it's dry yet there's an odd drip still. Plus it tastes of coolant.

This is what I found when I told myself to look properly for the source. I thought it might be the core plug at the back of the head but I think it's the joint between gasket and head. It isn't the heater hoses.

Is there anything other than a head removal to consider? I think I know the answer but please let me know 😕

IMG_5698D.thumb.JPG.e87f3ee40d3110bc7e93e09f2e758a0e.JPG

IMG_5699D.thumb.JPG.9875d07733110795fd154bef8ba6ae7c.JPG

Is there anything else above that has coolant in it? There's a dot on the hose in the foreground, perhaps from you wiping it there, but if it made the jump all the way from the head I would be surprised!

Not getting blown back from the front of the engine by the wind?

• Like 1

Don’t be so hasty, I hear you say.

Above it is the rear heater hose connection to the head. I think this might be the culprit. It is crusty and dry, from the hot block no doubt but it is worth a look and a cleanup before I delve deeper.

There is quite a film of coolant along the back of the gasket edge though.

C8E6B819-93C8-4A2B-B65C-E63972ADA4EB.thumb.jpeg.825dd1491ce672f2ed87e3283001194f.jpeg

D57A0901-A84F-4DDA-9CF2-DFEAE9D0243A.thumb.jpeg.d65f65321464f6f7de3c9b077b4e8826.jpeg

CC2A246E-66A0-4C16-96D5-B269EFD07E6C.thumb.jpeg.f80d36f8a5546e6a9ca8f19c938100f5.jpeg

This is the view down the heater hose. There’s coolant around the bolt head which I think can then track around and down the back.

I will remove the hose and clean up then see after a drive.

Thanks guys  

FDA2E904-AD62-4C15-B479-711E4C21CBC9.thumb.jpeg.a2768f9a62695e09fab59393e03aec7a.jpeg

• Like 3

Yes it's promising. The camera makes it look obvious but really it isn't. A small phone (iPhone 12 Mini) can access places with x5 magnification and a short focal length, providing detail that my eyes can't get at! I couldn't see the bottom of that heater hose. 

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

Yes it's promising. The camera makes it look obvious but really it isn't. A small phone (iPhone 12 Mini) can access places with x5 magnification and a short focal length, providing detail that my eyes can't get at! I couldn't see the bottom of that heater hose. 

I was very impressed with the picture quality at that distance to be honest!

• Like 1

The spigot has cleaned-up a little but isn't perfect. I have fitted a smaller clamp. The silicone hose is good.

I have looked for a part number for a new spigot but can't see it - and have asked Turners for advice. In the meantime I can give it a whirl and see if it has sealed. It does look as though that's the cause of my mild panic yesterday.

IMG_5717X.thumb.JPG.0956cb8a61449bd3afdfa6b5d12883e2.JPG

IMG_5719.thumb.JPG.65d0950e4a6a44b301847b3751c820c3.JPG

IMG_5720D.thumb.JPG.0f2758873da21e16cfd5f4f550652db4.JPG

• Like 1

Running around after aged parents today. Didn’t get a very helpful reply from Turners, just that it’s a stocked part but no part number provided. I guess Frieda thinks I should do my own research!

So I will have a look when I can for the part number. Am driving around a bit today so I will see if it’s cured for now but I will change the spigot.

@Bowie69yes I feel the silicone hoses do need more clamp force. I’ve had these on for a few years now with Mikalor clamps. This is the first problem. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Running around after aged parents today. Didn’t get a very helpful reply from Turners, just that it’s a stocked part but no part number provided. I guess Frieda thinks I should do my own research!

So I will have a look when I can for the part number. Am driving around a bit today so I will see if it’s cured for now but I will change the spigot.

@Bowie69yes I feel the silicone hoses do need more clamp force. I’ve had these on for a few years now with Mikalor clamps. This is the first problem. 

Read my post above ^^ I suplied the part number and a link to Turners website.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

Read my post above ^^ I suplied the part number and a link to Turners website.

Thanks @Maverik I missed that in my haste as I was flicking through the thread in a spare moment. 😀

Edit: ordered from Turners. Had to pay for DPD overnight which is a pain but there's no choice (I did ask). I have done a few miles today and would have checked the hose now I'm home but it's been wet all day and is no better now so it can wait.

Edited by Peaklander
  • Like 1