3.9 V8 no fuel pump maybe oil transmitter related possibly self inflicted :(

Morning all, me again with my challenging 3.9 90

I was always confident around Landy's but this is being an education!

Generally built well but as with most specials can be a little eccentric.

Soooo yesterday I installed a radio, centre of the dash using the landy cabling.  Radio works fine.

Also added an oil pressure gauge as I had that part of the dash apart.

Just ran the cable and connected live and earth..... the sender for another day...... but just had a look at the locations by the oil filter.

I touched the wire to the transmitter thingy and it fell apart....... baked from being close to the tubular headers I guess.

Anyway, added a new connector and thought nothing more.

Just putting tools away and thought I had best fire it up........ no power to the fuel pump!

Checked all fuses and fine. All the wiring has been put back to as before. ( Wireing is pretty much custom with blade fuses etc, well done but a bit of a struggle working out what fuse does what! )

Have also lost indicators, but hazards are fine..... this could be the hazard switch although bizarre it happening at the same time.

I have no oil light...... I think this could be significant and related to the transmitter....... I have heard this can cut power to the fuel pump as a prevention of blow ups??

Soooo what has happened, do I just need to run another cable to the transmitter, can I by pass it totally.... just for testing?

Family things today so back on it tomorrow........

Suggestions/confirmation appreciated.

Edited by gbmoto

Like Fridge says, your configuration will determine troubleshooting.

Some systems have a switch on the oil gallery that is Tee'd into the oil pressure transmitter location to power the pump when it senses oil pressure from cranking.

If its a cobbled together system.......oh boy....

Yep, flapper & hotwire systems both control the fuel pump - they need to see the trigger signals from the coil -ve (pulses) and some airflow through the AFM, the flapper has an actual switch on the flap, I presume Hotwire just senses it somehow.

Thanks Chaps. I am amazed I have managed this with a Radio Install..... usually fairly happy with electrickery and wiring.

I have made a complete loom for a series.... much simpler admittedly, but my recent efi experience was years ago with my daughters Classic Min MPi..... which was quite simple tbh.

Currently have the dash apart just to make sure I didn't move anything.

I think first job will be to replace the transmitter wire, I'm thinking it has probably crumbled inside, I want to see the oil light!

Hopefully will get a bit of time today....... I will return!

Well, it's sorted.

Unpicked some of the harness..... hmm that will be work in progress!!  Remade oil sender wire etc and routed them away from the headers.

But still nothing, looked for an inertia switch but no, checked all fuses relays etc and all seemed fine.

Sat in the driving seat and had a check as to what was working...... the horn. hazards and starter..... that was pretty much it, and no dash lights...... hmmm again....

So dash was pretty apart and had had several good looks around with a torch where I had been messing but all good......sooo out with the gauges to see in a bit further.....as I was getting a bit suspicious of the ignition switch.....oooooo... a big white wire has fallen off..... plug in and all back in business, perplexing as I had been no where near there, must have been where a cable had been pulled through..... but all working...yayyyyyyyyyy

But now the radiator has sprung a leak..... and also still need to work out what water pump..... at least I can do both at the same time.

Oh and during the storm had a ridge tile come off, take 2 tiles off on the way down to then launch themselves at the Landy leaving some fairish dents in the bonnet and wing and taking a bit out of one of the light trims.....  adds character I guess!

I should do an ongoing thing about the Landy, it is being a bit of a challenge!, but it does make me smile when I drive it.

• Like 2