Defender/Discovery front axle case compatibility

I have been offered a front axle case for my defender.  My existing axle is a 10 spline (not sure if defender or disco). The replacement axle casing is from a 300tdi.

I understand the hockey sticks will be different widths, but this is OK as I can get them with it.

So the question is,  are there any other differences or are they interchangeable?

As always,  thanks 

It's only the axle case, but I will give it a good coat of looking at before I decide if its scrap or usable. It will be a while before its fitted as I haven't finished doing my rear one yet - though I hope to give it a topcoat on Monday. I will also order my calipers,  bushes,  A frame ball joint etc.

In fact, I also picked up a 300tdi bulkhead to repair today - though that will be a bit of a project. But that will be for a future thread!!!

50 minutes ago, uninformed said:

Depending on age the Panhard bolt size may change 

Thanks Uninformed,  I didn't realise this so thanks for the heads up.

Tha axle case is from a 300tdi so I am presuming this will be the same as my 200tdi one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I picked up some hockey sticks and have given them a coat of electrolysis.  I have taken the bushes out and spayed them with WD40 until my new tin of Bonda rust primer is delivered. I think I am becoming a bit of a electrolysis addict!

received_262494169351324.thumb.jpeg.2e0f5156ea13012f5a4986154426d543.jpeg

received_464742058671458.thumb.jpeg.e609dd0b4b641b6967db52454522dae7.jpeg

received_353330363279511.thumb.jpeg.0834ae88413608ba1812f4b75f7bcb27.jpeg

20220421_085346.thumb.jpg.0b30a7194a776b65680515f09fb8b327.jpg

20220421_085355.thumb.jpg.120559231db8b86a3d87e50f767e87ba.jpg

20220424_113916.thumb.jpg.cb2429f0cb4f372123ee9c9be1bdef33.jpg

20220424_121744.thumb.jpg.3428e3aac1a3d865ad28a8f60f81443a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markyboy said:

They've come up really well.

Regards, Mark.

I have been so impressed with electrolysis, its rust removal is fantastic.  You still need to put some effort in, but you can see the results  - I would never get that with a wire brush in a grinder.  As they had been painted over the rust, the paint comes off with the rust.

I can only hope my painting technique does the clean steel justice.

• Like 1

Just now, Mossberg said:

I have been so impressed with electrolysis, its rust removal is fantastic.  You still need to put some effort in, but you can see the results  - I would never get that with a wire brush in a grinder.  As they had been painted over the rust, the paint comes off with the rust.

I can only hope my painting technique does the clean steel justice.

So addictive isn't it? I have the tank permanently set up now. Am always dropping things in there

1 hour ago, muddy said:

How many tons of 'stuff' would like dropping off 😀

If you have tons of stuff muddy, and if you have room, get yourself a 200ltr drum and an old style battery charger.  This is a better addiction than sticking pins in yourself!!

I’m lazy and just use Hydrochloric acid. 

re the Radius arms, the later, wider arms don’t articulate as well as the narrower early arms. Your early arms could have been used with appropriate washers between the bush and housing brackets. The bush separation and bolt size is identical. They did not change bush separation until the D2 but the Defender remained the same, though the Tdci did get a change in bolts (weird design) 

9 hours ago, uninformed said:

I’m lazy and just use Hydrochloric acid. 

re the Radius arms, the later, wider arms don’t articulate as well as the narrower early arms. Your early arms could have been used with appropriate washers between the bush and housing brackets. The bush separation and bolt size is identical. They did not change bush separation until the D2 but the Defender remained the same, though the Tdci did get a change in bolts (weird design) 

The great thing about electrolysis is it only takes away the rust and leaves the Good steel  - especially important with things like hubs where you have the seat for the bearings.  And it's easy, I just put a lot more effort in than is strictly necessary. If you haven't tried then it's easy enough for you to do out of curiosity as I am sure you will have the gear to do it.

I didn't know that about the arms and I would have considered doing that. The new arms cost me £25 so it's not that big of a deal and it also allowed me to clean them before I do the swap. I will also do the bushes before I start so hopefully cut down on the time the truck is on stands as I am getting a bit fed up with the time it's off the road - but that's because it's not my daily driver. 

I finished painting them yesterday. Two coats of Bonda rust primer and then a light top coat more to colour them. To be honest I don't really think they need anything above a corrosion prevention spray really, but my logic is that the less rusty parts there are then the more likely I am to see and deal with rust in more important areas- which for me is the 30 year old chassis. 

20220427_183333.thumb.jpg.20ac8a46c18cd318ba542a18fb90a414.jpg

20220427_183300.thumb.jpg.b4b0aae8969af9eb788a2bb1aa4b3d4b.jpg

On 4/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, muddy said:

I have some s/h front and rear callipers you can have if you fancy a go at refurbishing some.

If nobody else wants them, I'm going to need some rear calipers as I am getting (I think) a disc rear axle...

Happy to make a reasonable donation to either you or a charity of your choice.

Cheers,

Simon