Seized clutch pedal

L19MUD

This relates to a Defender but put here as this could be pretty much any Series/Defender/D1 etc

This 90 has been stood (in a field) for 14 plus years. I collected it yesterday and it rolled freely. Brake pedal moves and appears to apply the brakes which are now party stuck on, will investigate that further later but given the time standing it will need a clean up of all 4 callipers to get them working in a reasonable fashion.

What is odd is the clutch pedal is absolutely solid. I am led to believe it was driven to where it was parked. What is the likely culprit? Pedal pivot or more likely to be the fork jammed in the box?

790774610_90-1_LI.thumb.jpg.385b38b08557658a56053cb6967077a5.jpg1895915463_90-2.thumb.jpg.49265371687b661ca88901d93861ea7d.jpg

Thanks all. Those suggestions are all good ones as I don't have to have the box out to fix. Just want this moving around under it's own steam for now. Think she will be put on temporary yard shunter duties

6 minutes ago, steve b said:

Looks a good un-messed with 90 

Appears to be a 100% standard Turbo D with the addition of that bull bar.

The bull bar is an oddity in itself as it appears to be aluminium, it has been broken at the mounts unfortunately and is only just hanging on there

Vehicle looks like the one we have in the field, except its blue. That hasnt moved for ten years plus either, and the chassis is very well gone.

I would also expect the clutch disc to be stuck to the flywheel after all that time, but you might be lucky.

As said, I would go for the master cylinder. If it has a ally cap, it will probably need some grips

3 hours ago, smallfry said:

Vehicle looks like the one we have in the field, except its blue. That hasnt moved for ten years plus either, and the chassis is very well gone.

I would also expect the clutch disc to be stuck to the flywheel after all that time, but you might be lucky.

As said, I would go for the master cylinder. If it has a ally cap, it will probably need some grips

Looks like the master. I freed off the nuts either side and the pedal pivots ok. The union at the master is very well seized though and at risk of rounding off. Given it some plus gas tonight but expect I will need to cut the pipe to remove the master and change it. 

Annoying as the steel pipe is still good

1 minute ago, L19MUD said:

Looks like the master. I freed off the nuts either side and the pedal pivots ok. The union at the master is very well seized though and at risk of rounding off. Given it some plus gas tonight but expect I will need to cut the pipe to remove the master and change it. 

Annoying as the steel pipe is still good

Try a blow lamp on the master cylinder, but not on the pipe union ? Nothing to lose and you might just save the steel pipe and union

Ours is a Turbo D too, smoked a LOT. Never looked at it, but I suspect the pistons are cracked.

I did try a little heat last night but not successful. I will alternate heat and plus gas for a few days to see if I can free it, there is no hurry on this one but is always nice to have a vehicle movable under it's own steam.

I bled the fuel up and it started fairly easily which I thought was pretty impressive for a TD considering it did not appear that the glow plugs came on. Once it warmed up a little it ran really nicely but puffing out a regular white puff of smoke on idle which I suspect will be a single injector sticking. Nothing a decent run up and maybe some injector cleaner won't wort out

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ours still hasnt moved ! Probably caused by damp brake fluid. A lot of people change brake fluid as per service schedules, but seldom think about the clutch fluid.

Probably worth throwing a genuine Britpart slave cylinder at it as well.

Am surprised the friction disc wasn't stuck to the flywheel. I only have to leave one of my vans for a fortnight and it happens. I cannot work out why :(

2 minutes ago, smallfry said:

Ours still hasnt moved ! Probably caused by damp brake fluid. A lot of people change brake fluid as per service schedules, but seldom think about the clutch fluid.

Probably worth throwing a genuine Britpart slave cylinder at it as well.

Am surprised the friction disc wasn't stuck to the flywheel. I only have to leave one of my vans for a fortnight and it happens. I cannot work out why :(

3 hours ago, L19MUD said:

Thread revival! I had some spare time the other weekend and got this on the ramp. Got the pipe out of the master after some heat and plus gas without damaging the fitting too much, the master was seized solid. Changed master and slave, bled it through and to my amazement the clutch worked perfectly first try. A little low to the floor but may need adjustment on the master and another bleed

--SNIP--

He did