Recommendations for air powered transmission oil filler pump?

Hi folks.

For years, I've used one of those tiny Laser hand pumps to do transmission oil fills on Discoveries and now a Puma Defender.

However, I'm delighted to now have air in my workshop and remembered that I could get a powered dispenser - the only one I;ve been able to find at a sensible price is this one: https://www.toolden.co.uk/p/sealey-vs70095-transmission-oil-filling-system-3l/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_vDy487I9wIVB7TtCh1X_QJlEAQYAiABEgJ0AfD_BwE

I wondered if anyone had any experience of them or knew of a better value one - I'd be looking for at least a 2.5 litre capacity.

Thank you.

I've tried to find some pic's but couldn't. A mate that owns a general service garage has 20L air receiver type that are on wheels upright . fill with chosen fluid re-fit the filler cap and pressurise to 25psi , shut the pressure cock and use the hose with a stop cock near the filler nozzle to fill .

They are great to use and would be easy to make from a small truck air tank , ideally with a large plug in the centre of one end and a smaller outlet threaded boss in the other (bottom) end to take the hose .  

I'll get see if I can find out where he bought them 

Steve

On 5/5/2022 at 5:42 PM, muddy said:

Not as fancy as air but these work well and seem very robust 25l Pump.

I have a couple of similar barrel pumps from when I used to buy oil in 25l cans. Nowadays it seems cheaper to buy engine and gear oil in 5l cans.
I have wondered how much air pressure it would take to push EP90 up a say 10mm ID delivery hose. I am thinking about bolting an air fitting and delivery hose through the plastic cap of a 5l can. It'll either work or be as messy as Wax-oyling a cat.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

I have a couple of similar barrel pumps from when I used to buy oil in 25l cans. Nowadays it seems cheaper to buy engine and gear oil in 5l cans.
I have wondered how much air pressure it would take to push EP90 up a say 10mm ID delivery hose. I am thinking about bolting an air fitting and delivery hose through the plastic cap of a 5l can. It'll either work or be as messy as Wax-oyling a cat.

Please film the test :lol: 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 4:15 PM, landroversforever said:

Please film the test :lol: 

Not got as far as a test yet, but I found a little garage time this evening and knocked up a bung for experimenting purposes :) 

image.png.0922013a45df4dd65c448a89a6639ee5.png

The larger push fit connectors are for 10mm nylon hose (8mm ID) for oil flow, one pick up tube to just shy of the bottom of the oil can and another for delivery. The smaller connector is for 3mm pipe to inject air.

image.png.35ab49955e1b877deb087a831b843758.png

Fitted into a standard 5l plastic oil can.

image.png.364c5310ffe3e6b5ab2470ce47d914bd.png

Removed the wad inside the cap and made a hole to clear the connectors with a step drill. The shoulder on the bung is about the same thickness as the wad, so thread full engagement is maintained. The cap has 2.5 turns of thread. 

image.png.bc457b4651d2cd1946d6751360bef29b.png

I shall pressurise an empty can first to see how much pressure this setup can withstand before risking it going all Exxon Valdez.

SimonR once surprised us with how much pressure a 2 litre fizzy pop bottle can take, and while I don't expect this to take anywhere near that, these cans do take a fair bit of rough handling without rupturing.

I'll video the tests for you. Can't promise it'll be tomorrow though.

• Like 1

I got hold of a dry powder fire extinguisher and modified it with a tubeless tyre valve for inflating it and the fittings for 6mm nylon tube for oil delivery.

Will take a picture when I am next in the garage.