Defender seatbox in a Series

Cornish Rattler

The basic dimensions are the same - length and width and it will probably pick up the correct fixings in the sills under the doors and probably rear tub. Hole for tunnel bit is completely different (it varies with Defender gearbox type)  - but larger than a series, so would probably fit over a series tunnel and gearbox but leave a gap. Handbrake fixings/hole is different to a series. Don't you have a "non series" engine/gearbox in yours?

Edited by simonb

3 hours ago, simonb said:

The basic dimensions are the same - length and width and it will probably pick up the correct fixings in the sills under the doors and probably rear tub. Hole for tunnel bit is completely different (it varies with Defender gearbox type)  - but larger than a series, so would probably fit over a series tunnel and gearbox but leave a gap. Handbrake fixings/hole is different to a series. Don't you have a "non series" engine/gearbox in yours?

200tdi with std gearbox

1 hour ago, Cornish Rattler said:

200tdi with std gearbox

You need a Series seat box, then, unless you have a good front panel on an otherwise bad box that you can cut and graft to a Defender seat box.

From memory doesnt the series underseat cubby box (battery box on Defender) have an angled bit to clear the series chassis ? ISTR having to change it ?

Maybe it was for another reason though. 

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

You need a Series seat box, then, unless you have a good front panel on an otherwise bad box that you can cut and graft to a Defender seat box.

Yeah the passanger under seat box which is now the batterybox is a bit rotten i codged it up when i did the rebuild with the a plan to replace the seat box with either a good series one or a Defender one if it would fit but all the series ones i've seen are all the same as mine or worse ☹️

I fitted the R380 seatbox to mine but the standard series tunnel won’t fit that. Not sure if an LT77 would work with it 🤔

You could remove the tunnel flange from a series seatbox and graft it onto the defender one though, that could work.

To clear the passenger side chassis the under seat cubby box had to be modified and narrowed but I managed to retain the battery tray.

Or replace your rotten under seat box.

16 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

I fitted the R380 seatbox to mine but the standard series tunnel won’t fit that. Not sure if an LT77 would work with it 🤔

You could remove the tunnel flange from a series seatbox and graft it onto the defender one though, that could work.

To clear the passenger side chassis the under seat cubby box had to be modified and narrowed but I managed to retain the battery tray.

Or replace your rotten under seat box.

That’s what I tried to say.  Badly.

The vehicle needs a Series spec box.  If the front face of the existing box is good enough to cut and graft to that R380 Defender seat box if that unit is already owned or very cheap, then that is an option, but otherwise replacing it with another Series seat box makes more sense that trying to modify something else.

55 minutes ago, Snagger said:

That’s what I tried to say.  Badly.

The vehicle needs a Series spec box.  If the front face of the existing box is good enough to cut and graft to that R380 Defender seat box if that unit is already owned or very cheap, then that is an option, but otherwise replacing it with another Series seat box makes more sense that trying to modify something else.

Yes it it a good seat box other than the batterybox 

• Like 1

YRM do replacement sections for a series seatbox. I replaced the storage box under the passenger seat on my Series 3 using YRM parts. They also do replacement sides - as these often corrode along the bottom and back edges.

• Like 1