52mm hub nut socket for Series/Puma - Laser or Britpart?

Hi all - my fleet, consists of 4 Series IIA/IIIs and one Puma Defender and I'm just looking to replace my battered hub box spanner with a socket-type. There's loads of 52mm sockets on ebay but I suspect it has to be the right dia and reach to work well.

Can I just double check I could use the same tool on both Series axles and Puma axles? I know they're both 52mm/2" its just in case there's some difference in the flange or something that I don't know about - I haven't done much on the Puma yet. There's a weird comment in the Britpart description that says "This 52mm Deep Impact Socket has been introduced for use on Land Rover Classic, Discovery, Defender (83-) and most other Land Rovers registered after 1970". Noting really changed from '69-'71 on a Series hub so wasn't sure if it was actually saying coiler use only.

Last one is that the Laser version is fractionally cheaper than Britpart so am planning to buy the Laser one - unless the Britpart is a special shape or something?

From memory there's plenty of space around the nuts (after all the bearing has to sit there) for the deep impact sockets. The only thing I'm unsure of is is the depth different for Series and coiler hubs. You do need to clear the stub axle after all.

I have a socket that fits the back but not deep enough for the front. I also have a Defender with the thick drive flanges.

I was going to get a deeper impact socket but I have managed with the box spanner but I am not sure how good that would be on the ones where you have to torque the nut.

20220718_161802.thumb.jpg.0bbf8bb3fd00c5bdf3dc9a86d031acf0.jpg

this is the one that is too shallow. 

Edited by Mossberg

4 hours ago, Mossberg said:

I have a socket that fits the back but not deep enough for the front. I also have a Defender with the thick drive flanges.

I was going to get a deeper impact socket but I have managed with the box spanner but I am not sure how good that would be on the ones where you have to torque the nut.

20220718_161802.thumb.jpg.0bbf8bb3fd00c5bdf3dc9a86d031acf0.jpg

this is the one that is too shallow. 

You can always make it deeper, I have cut a socket in half and welded a section of pipe in before and never had any issues regards Stephen

• Like 2