Defender 200tdi Steering box leak

L19MUD

My steering box is leaking yet again from the bottom seal. I have replaced it a number of times over the years and have fitted various seals and tried fitting them in slightly different positions to overcome any wear on the shaft. The current one has lasted 6k miles and is now way beyond a slight occasional drip.

The good news being I know the drop arm will come off ok as it is nicely lubricated and has been off lots of times!

What do people suggest other than a new box which I would like to avoid given the rest of it is fine with no play in it or any other leaks. Genuine seal? One of the seal kits from Zeus? https://www.zeus.uk.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=8

These are the options for STC2847 from Britcar currently

image.png.394645c92d1b710e5d9fca9104568a82.png

There is a series of videos on the steering box from Brittanica Restorations. It sounds like you might need a new sector shaft if it's pitted, I know Bearmach used to do them, but how good they are and whether available now I don't know. Otherwise I have heard of people having them hard chromed and reground. 

I don't remember it being pitted if I am honest but will take a look when I pull it apart. Whatever happens it is going to get a new seal for now as I need the truck

Will investigate the availability of the main shaft

If it's pitted, take it to a hydraulic ram refurbishment company. They will spray it with magic metal and machine it back to perfection.

Another useful trick is to machine hole in the casing where the shaft goes through. Make it deeper and fit a deeper seal

A couple of years ago when I was after getting a couple of boxes reconditioned, the girl on the phone let slip who did the machining on their shafts, so I cut out the middle man and went direct to grinding company and had three or four shafts ground and rechromed a couple of years ago, £60-70 each, all have been perfect in use daily use since.

BDD545D9-E0F3-433E-9D44-317B7AD7099F.jpeg.8edf45cbb89ecae4e822f105f3efba2b.jpeg

9D11D625-85B2-4ADD-A315-9828C0B7A452.jpeg.c0b8f369560928944a4ede91bc69263c.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

A couple of years ago when I was after getting a couple of boxes reconditioned, the girl on the phone let slip who did the machining on their shafts, so I cut out the middle man and went direct to grinding company and had three or four shafts ground and rechromed a couple of years ago, £60-70 each, all have been perfect in use daily use since

and who is it that does the machining/re-chroming? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maverik said:

and who is it that does the machining/re-chroming? 

If I could remember / find the paperwork id’ve put it in the reply! It was a small one man type old fashioned workshop somewhere near Liverpool.. which doesn’t exactly narrow it down!!!

• Like 2