Twisted

Twisted LR have announced they are going to start working on the new Defender.

This is a copy of a post on LinkedIn by Twisted’s owner:

For a few weeks now I have been appraising a new Defender. There is no doubt what JLR created is an epic vehicle, it’s really really good. The engine is perky, the turning circle is great, it feels rugged and almost invincible, however, it’s called a #defender… that where it trips it’s self up. A defender is a #meccano kit that while not looking all that pretty at times, it can be assembled by someone with skills and absolutely stands the test of time, it’s functional, honest and endearing. New defender is Lego, it’s plastic, bright, hard wearing and tough, but it’s throw away. What JLR did was design a 4x4 for now and the short term future, it can not and will not ever fill it’s older brothers boots. I said many times we wouldn’t work with them, I said classic defender was our staple and only vehicle, I’m wrong, having driven this new one now, I can see so many ways to improve it, so many weakness’s. Classic Defender the huge meccano kits will remain our DNA, they will live long and grow ever cooler. I have my ideas for the Lego defender and rest assured we will make it better, though I have to ask @jaguarlandrover.uk why they didn’t ask us first, we could have helped them along with it and probably for free. Whether you like Lego or meccano. Keep in touch, we have only one mission, to make it the best it can be and suitably anti ordinary. Long live Defender.

My thoughts so far: (don’t shoot me for them) 

New Defender Appraisal from a Defender nerd.    

First Impressions:
Pros:
Cool, fun, different, handy, good height from drivers seat
Practical layout
Comfortable
Modern
Spacious as a driver
Lots of cubby holes
Great turning circle
Perky engine

Cons:
Not particularly economical
Not particularly quick
Average driving experience
Doors too long for size of aperture - particularly in parking space
Electric sliders on the seats too slow
Too big to park easily
Lack of visibility in tight spaces - needs cameras
Clunky suspension joints over rough ground
Feels short, almost twitchy on the road when not fully committed
Gear lever position annoying - have to reach for it
Windscreen seems to be constantly exposed to hot air on passenger side causing it to need washing more often than the drivers side
No headlight wash, have to stop and clean headlights on a long run in wet/mucky conditions
Rear load space completely impractical
Load space cover removed to take bins and likely never to be refitted
Seats dont go forward allowing access to flat load bay
Alloy partition an afterthought
Impossible to close back door without getting mucky hands

Predictable ‘type’ of driver:
SWB - Working business owner, pair of boots, check shirt and a gilet
LWB - Wag or corporate type

Classic Defender is Meccano, functional, fixable, not always pretty, engaging and time consuming to assemble. Long lasting and timeless. Unpredictable Driver.

New Defender is Lego, bright, modern, plastic, long lasting but not environmentally friendly, throw away. 

What are your thoughts?

image.thumb.png.f66a47b5fbcade235aa3e580562a204b.png
image.png.410a29ecf823d5ecd456ecadad58e256.png

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:44 AM, Escape said:

While I agree with most of the spirit of that, I have one major objection: I've never thrown away Lego!

Echo that! Still got my Duplo somewhere at mom and dad's too :lol: 

8 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I have a Defender2 in Lego. In an unopened box. It's appreciating faster than Defender2 on the road

I couldn't sit on it without building! Mine's on the desk shelf above this computer :D 

On 1/18/2023 at 5:32 PM, Nonimouse said:

I have a Defender2 in Lego. In an unopened box. 

Best place for it!  Some Lego car models are amazing, but that one isn’t very close to the appearance of the original.  I do like their Mustang.

40 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Best place for it!  Some Lego car models are amazing, but that one isn’t very close to the appearance of the original.  I do like their Mustang.

Time for a specsavers trip I think! The Mustang (assuming you mean the blue one) is a totally different line of models separate to the technic line the Defender is in. 

7 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Time for a specsavers trip I think! The Mustang (assuming you mean the blue one) is a totally different line of models separate to the technic line the Defender is in. 

I agree with @Snagger. The Defender may be a nice model, with interesting technical details, but I much prefer the more old skool Lego designs like the Mustang (10265) and DB5 (10262), despite their more brick-like look not resembling the originals as closely as is possible with all the special parts of the Technic models.