110 station wagon headliner

Looking at having the spare better condition headliner recovered, the existing material has seperate because the foam backing has given up, Anyone know how much material I need to cover all 4 sections, front has a sunroof, centre, rear & above door sections are standard. 

The problem with that question is in knowing the dimensions the material is available in - you might be able to find some wide enough to cover the width of each section, so you wouldn’t need a great deal more than the length of the roof with little off cut.  But it’s quite likely you’ll only find something a bit narrower that doesn’t quite reach the width of the sections and you end up having to lay the length of the fabric in line with the width of the panels (ie 90 degrees out), which will result in wide off cuts and a much longer piece of fabric ordered.

In that case, I’d plan on each panel plus 2” in each edge as an absolute minimum, but ideally double that to allow for slight misalignment as contact adhesive isn’t forgiving.  Don’t forget to add another 18” or whatever for the panel over the rear door and some more for the sun visors, assuming you want them to match.

Yes in the measurements I did I have allowed for the folded over edges, Not bothered about the sun visors they will just get a wash & scrub, I hardly ever use mine, still not sure if 140cm will be wide enough, when I remeasured the front section earlier today I pushed the tape down so it was tight to the lumps & bumps plus 3cm at the edges, it came out to nearly 160cm from side to side, I haven't heard back yet, maybe get a reply tomorrow or Monday. 

A quick Google brought this place up with a 110 headliner kit, so I might go for that instead & do a bit of diy

https://martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/product-details.php?productId=519

Edited by western

Sounds like you’ll need to order more in length to run the fabric at 90 degrees to the roof - I’m pretty sure the “length” of each of the sections is less than 1.40m.  Unless it is patterned or extremely expensive, I’d do it that way just to give the maximum flexibility and error margin when bonding it to the panels.

• Like 1

I used to use Martrim kits for all my Defender & Range Rover restorations- very nice quality and they send ample material, wasn't worth me going elsewhere to save a couple of sheckles.  

The pvc factory style is a little tricky to do nicely as there are some tight deep corners on a 110, it's hard to make it stretch enough even on a hot day, I never managed it without wrinkles, the material is great and looks just right though.  I had better results with the brushed nylon style cloth on Range Rover roofs, stretches to shape much easier. 

Worth spending time scrubbing all of the old foam off and 'painting' the roof liners with pva or ideally resin gel before trimming it. 

• Like 1

Mike on BritRest did a good video on how to shape the roof lining around the complex parts by the sun visor recesses - he put the assembled front section and liner into a sealed back and vacuumed the air out with a domestic vacuum cleaner so that air pressure uniformly pushed the lining against the backing in all the corners and kept it there while the glue went off.  Might be best to use something slower setting and not as instantly grabbing as impact adhesive for that.  A bit of heat from a strong hair drier should allow the vinyl or other synthetic lining to stretch and conform.

8 minutes ago, western said:

https://martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/land-rover-defender-pvc-headlining-kits.php

So most likely get it ordered

Another thought is it good to add some insulation to the inside of roof before fitting the refurbished headliner sections? 

my 3 door 110 had no insulation in the rear load area , so installed some 1 cm thick matting to the roof , i also did the front section under the headliner .

so no idea how usefull this is , but in my car it was a huge difference .

• Like 1

I have a LaSalle headliner in my 109.  The centre sections of each panel are recessed between the ribs, so the voids are quite shallow.  All the same, I think the camping mat that I glued in across the whole of the centre and rear sections help a lot with noise and heat insulation.  Heavier systems like Dynamat would be better, but I wasn’t sure I had the space for them.

• Like 1

See my post above in the link. I did soundproofing mats - the fake flashing stuff would do, followed by camping mats that I think I bought for £1 a roll in B&Q many years ago, and then the relined headliner. Its worked well.

Edited by reb78