Stupid question of the day (V8 related)

Hi all,

Possibly the last stupid question for a while, not least because some overseas commitments for a few weeks...

I've done a lookup on the 3.9V8 that I'm about to start fitting. Some might say it's a bit bloody late for that, but there you go.

Apparently it came from an auto Disco.

I have a flywheel, matching clutch and manual box, as well as all the EFI stuff. But is the original source vehicle going to cause me problems fitting it to my 110?

Cheers

Edited by Junglie
Forgot the flywheel

No problem, if you have the flywheel and clutch, as well as the bell housing and associated hydraulics you will be fine. The V8 doesn't care if it's mated to a manual or autobox, I've done the conversion a couple of times now. 😉

• Like 1

Thanks chaps - it was one of those "Oh...carp" moments.

I am now suitably reassured. Just need to put it back together and find the time (Ha!) to get it into the truck now.

Actually... any recommendations for a higher pressure oil pump while it's all in bits?

Don't forget to fit a spigot bush! On that subject, i fitted a cheap britpart one and it squawked after 500 miles, had to take the gearbox out again to change it.  I sourced a genuine new old stock one from p.a. blanchards and problem solved.

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Why do you need a higher pressure oil pump?

It's a fair question. My cousin has a variety of V8 powered MGs and he reckons they all dip perilously low on oil pressure when hot. I just can't get him to tell me which uprated pump he'd recommend because he's a bit difficult to get hold of sometimes...

3 hours ago, dave88sw said:

Don't forget to fit a spigot bush! On that subject, i fitted a cheap britpart one and it squawked after 500 miles, had to take the gearbox out again to change it.  I sourced a genuine new old stock one from p.a. blanchards and problem solved.

Great advice!

Um...what's a spigot bush? And please don't say the bush around the spigot or I'll be forced to laugh.

40 minutes ago, Junglie said:

It's a fair question. My cousin has a variety of V8 powered MGs and he reckons they all dip perilously low on oil pressure when hot. I just can't get him to tell me which uprated pump he'd recommend because he's a bit difficult to get hold of sometimes...

They can, isn't yours a serp engine? In which case you have a far better oil pump anyway, no need to upgrade at all.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

They can, isn't yours a serp engine? In which case you have a far better oil pump anyway, no need to upgrade at all.

2 belts - isn't that pre serp? I'm very happy to tskre guidance, and if I don't need to haemorrhage more money than I have to I'll take the win...

The pre 1976 engines, Rover P5B, Rover P6, MGB V8, and early RRC had thinner (less high) oil pump gears. After the advent of the Rover SD1, all the vee belt engines had taller gears, to increase oil flow volume, and therefore pressure. Back in the day, the thing to do was to install a kit, which was basically a spacer, to enable fitment of the later wider gears. 

The oil pressure on the early engines was never great, even when they were new, down to nearly zero at hot idle, and this was thought to be the cause of camshaft, lifter, and rocker wear. The "high pressure" (actually high volume) kit made no difference to this.

Later, a kit was produced with even taller gears. This produced a bit more pressure, but the downside is much increased loading and thus wear, on the distributor/oil pump drive gears.

So IMO for what its worth, is don't bother unless its a high revving racing engine, in which case you will not be bothered about the gear wear, and constantly retarding ignition timing. Better solution is to use 20W50 or 10 or 20W60 oil on the vee belt engines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1