New to me machine/toy

Blanco

Been looking for a while for something to come along at a sensible price.....

image.thumb.jpeg.d7869a484c7217c347346f509493dae3.jpeg

It's very dirty, but not too badly worn, and is motivation to do some sorting and get started back in the workshop. (Warmer weather now hopefully on the way!)

It came with a qctp, although not one I am familiar with .... Drehblitz? Which unfortunately only came with 2 holders.

image.thumb.jpeg.60c2c736c5cb3b7d3d06a30908818d5f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.060731b0523150b9d426a848e0ef4dae.jpeg

A quick search on the internet tells me there are a few sizes, I will measure up the tool post tomorrow and see if I can work out which one I have. Sadly no longer made and there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. Might have to bite the bullet and update? Not sure, but a shame as it seems a good system.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd dispute that, setting tools up at the correct height and just leaving them in the holder is far easier.

of course it's easier with a holder for every tool , but it's possible for us as "hobby" users to get the work done with just 2 toolholders , and at the same time keeping a eye open for some extra one's.

• Like 1

Nice lathe, I use one of these at work and I too have a Smart and Brown Model M at home.

But yes, I can confirm it was a pain at work having to set up the tool height, I even had to sharpen the tip too!

Fortunately I have an adjustable tool post at home to set the tool height, I still have to set it up each time I change the bit as I only have one bit holder!

Are you going to do a full restoration or just a good clean up and get it working.

The tool post looks good, at least the the height is adjustable so good for getting you started!

Steve

6 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd dispute that, setting tools up at the correct height and just leaving them in the holder is far easier.

I kind of agree, most particularly for different tool types.  I have the small one pictured with a piece of 8mm in it, the other one is much larger, probably a 1" tool channel.  It would be nice to have at least a parting tool holder and a perhaps a boring bar, and a 2nd basic tool holder of one size or the other.

6 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

Are you going to do a full restoration or just a good clean up and get it working.

Just a  good clean up, under all the muck I don't think there is anything that will prevent me using it, there are a couple of small repairs. Clearly the last shop it was in made extensive use of the coolant pump (in the 'permanent flood' mode) and everything is covered in dried cutting oil.

4 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

The tool holder is not one I've ever seen before, I would be inclined to replace it with either a Dixon Quick Change post or a Multifix tool post.

I have spent the day digging a bit into this and at lunch time I took the post off to clean it up a bit, and I am fairly sure there is a base location bushing missing. There is a brochure on Lathes.co.uk which shows it had a great spec. when new but yes, I have kind of come round to the conclusion that I'll update it, but keep the bits and try and find some more if I can. Only problem seems there is a great choice of 'mini' lathe options but not so much for a middling size, still getting my head round the options.

51 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I have spent the day digging a bit into this and at lunch time I took the post off to clean it up a bit, and I am fairly sure there is a base location bushing missing. There is a brochure on Lathes.co.uk which shows it had a great spec. when new but yes, I have kind of come round to the conclusion that I'll update it, but keep the bits and try and find some more if I can. Only problem seems there is a great choice of 'mini' lathe options but not so much for a middling size, still getting my head round the options.

The important consideration is getting the tool post mounted solid and being able to get your tools on centerline with the avalable adjustment. I have a MK.1 Colchester Student that the previous owner had converted to a Dixon QCTP, he did a very bad job of it as it turns out.

In essence you just change the existing static tool  post that sits on the compound (or cross) slide, for one designed in sections. Here is one guide from youtube. The second part of that video is actually key to success as VB points out.

As Blanco said essentially unbolt one and bolt on another, depending on specific machine you may need a sleave on the bolt so it all matches up. 

I have a Dixon type tool post, its what I would recommend although to be fair I have little experience with anything else so may be bias. There are multiple sizes depending on the size and spacing on your specific machine, I can explain but best to just google the sizes and measurement and work it out for you application. Once on it is literally seconds to change from one tool to another and the holders can be set to the correct hight for each tool, no shims etc, you cannot have to many holders!. The repeatability of position is good enough for most applications unless you need high accuracy. Tool holders are plentiful and not to expensive in the smaller sizes, I have tried a few Indian manufactured one, there aren't as good as the original or Bison ones and needed a bit of filing to fit well but again probable good enough for most purposes and considerable cheaper

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 9:34 AM, hurbie said:

of course it's easier with a holder for every tool , but it's possible for us as "hobby" users to get the work done with just 2 toolholders , and at the same time keeping a eye open for some extra one's.

and however many tool holders you have, you could always use a few more ;) 

• Like 1

Being a machining muppet I'm quite keen on my collection of quick-change holders with cheap indexable carbide tooling - as Sean says, you set it up once and then swapping tools takes seconds, plus carbide tooling means if you blunt a tip you just swap a new insert in (or turn the insert around) and you're away.

Although I do now have the problem that I need to make a tool holder holder to keep them all organised :lol:

• Like 1