4 pinion diff

1 hour ago, fmmv said:

Does anyone happen to know if the 4 pinion diff in late model 110 and 130 front axles fits in normal long nose diff front and rear? 

The 110 and 130 used the same front diff as the 90, RRC and Discovery 1, ie the long nose Rover diff.  They weren’t reinforced.  The 4-pin short nose diff of the P38 was only used in the rear axles of 110s and 130s once the Salisbury was axed in 2002, about the same time as the dash changed to the black plastic fascia with centre console and the doors changed.

As to whether you can fit those diff centres to a long nose casing, or fir a short nose complete diff and casing to a standard axle, not without considerable modifications.

• Like 1

The parts book suggest there is a 4 pinion diff in the front of 110 and 130, 2012 models anyway. I didn't think it was the short nose I must admit, It didn't think there were steerable versions.

1 minute ago, fmmv said:

The front propshaft is TVB500500 for all variants so I assumed the nose length is the same; maybe I'm wrong.

I wonder if the front 4-pin was an option. But either way, the centres which fit in a short nose casing don't fit a long nose without buggering about with machining work, but a long nose 4-pin from the front (or like a 90 V8 rear) fits in the front/rear of all 90/D1/D2/RRC.

The original Defender used long nose Rover diffs until it’s death in 2016

ok, let’s ignore the rare variants with Sals front for this discussion 

The 4 pin HD hemisphere was an option for a VERY long time

( just like ENV, then Sals rears were an option on Series before their standard fitment) 

I can not confirm if LR factory fitted the 4 pin front diff in 110/130 from 2012 onwards. I personally would be surprised as LR were cutting corners everywhere on the last of the old Defr’s 

But anything is possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fmmv said:

The parts book suggests 2 pin on 90s front,4 pin on the others. Its probably basically a 90 v8 rear then 

Yes, a Rover hemisphere is the same front or rear. 

So all factory Rover 4 pin hemispheres are the same. 

10 hours ago, fmmv said:

The parts book suggest there is a 4 pinion diff in the front of 110 and 130, 2012 models anyway. I didn't think it was the short nose I must admit, It didn't think there were steerable versions.

I’m confident though not certain that 110 and 130 have a big standard single pin front diff, identical to contemporary 90s.  4-pin may have been an option at one point, but probably dropped a long time before the end of production.

• 2 weeks later...

They did fit 4-pins to the fronts of some late 110/130 models, in response to the issue of 2-pins failing under the higher torque of later Tdci engines. There appears to be no rhyme or reason as to which vehicles got them though or which did not.

This is a different diff to the short-nose ‘P38’ diff fitted to the rear axle of 110/130 from around 2005 onwards following the demise of the Salisbury.

If you do find one then it should be the same as the old V8 90 rear (heavy duty) diff and so yes should fit into any normal long nose Rover casing. 

• Like 2

Does seem rather odd, to at least consider fitting a 4 pin diff in the front, but also to go to a 2 pin diff in the transfer box. I think the former is response to failures, the latter is attempts to reduce the 'standard cost'.  

10 hours ago, fmmv said:

Does seem rather odd, to at least consider fitting a 4 pin diff in the front, but also to go to a 2 pin diff in the transfer box. I think the former is response to failures, the latter is attempts to reduce the 'standard cost'.  

The HD front diffs being so random shows that it wasn’t a deliberate change of spec in response to a demonstrated weakness.  By that stage, they were just using up what stock they had left, with no lines using that or the lighter single-pin diff after Defender ceased.  Cost engineering mixed with management apathy.

• Like 1