Quick body measurement please?

I have a removable sunroof in my 1991 hardtop and would like to know if I could remove the middle seat and stand in that space and film with my head and arms out of the sunroof etc?

Could somebody with a Defender kindly measure between the cab roof and the floor panel under the middle seat please?
(ie: Remove the middle seat, from the back of area straight up to the roof, the biggest distance)

6 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Just over 1m from top of seat box to headlining.

Mike

Cool, thanks. I'm thinking of modifying my brownchurch roof rack so I can stand on the middle floor panel and have my arms and head through the sunroof (its big enough - I've lost 18kg since I filmed these first YouTube episodes your seeing now!) and then use the rack as a filming platform, perhaps even with a shade 🙂

• Like 2

The Royal Marines had this system for wading their hard tops ashore from landing craft.  The hatch was just a sunroof with a composite or metal panel instead of glass, so it should work just as well with a glass sunroof.  I stood through the sunroof I retrofit to my 109 while working on it.

16 hours ago, Snagger said:

The Royal Marines had this system for wading their hard tops ashore from landing craft.  The hatch was just a sunroof with a composite or metal panel instead of glass, so it should work just as well with a glass sunroof.  I stood through the sunroof I retrofit to my 109 while working on it.

That's exactly what I have - just a metal plate instead of glass. You can remove it completely with a few clicks of the latches.
But I need to figure out if it would be comfortable to stand and film, rather than being hunched over or stretching etc

8 minutes ago, Junglie said:

You want me to collect a GPMG for you this weekend? Just to complete the look... ;)

I'm not too sure if that would help or hinder arriving at a border claiming I was an innocent tourist here to photograph their beautiful animals?

On 4/22/2023 at 11:30 AM, roamingyak said:

I'm not too sure if that would help or hinder arriving at a border claiming I was an innocent tourist here to photograph their beautiful animals?

It would do one of the two...

Just a suggestion from experience of photographing and generally trying to photograph whilst in odd spaces - have you considered a metal tube from floor to roof, bolted each end so it’s secure. On this tube a simple metal bracket with a clamp beneath it so the clamp can be locked but the bracket can rotate on top of it. On the bracket put a bum-sized piece of wood so you have a simple seat, this would allow you to ‘tune’ the seat height to suit your own height and allow you to more comfortably sit whilst waiting for action and the difference that can make to your ‘welfare’ is significant. If you’re up for the faffing you can make the vertical tube removable (just clips into a holder at each end) so it can be removed and stowed when not required. It also has the advantage of swivelling so that you can swiftly go from left to front to right simply and easily. Something like this:

Screenshot2023-04-24at08_10_13.thumb.jpg.c41b9ea92aeb9d8175d09f9fa23a16b0.jpg

Edited by Jocklandjohn