New stupid question - V8 bellhousing

It's just occurred to me.

I believe I have a Disco gearbox and bellhousing. 

Am I now going to have to source a different bellhousing and output shaft? Or am I worrying about nothing? It would be...disappointing to have to rebuild the box again.

Thanks chaps. I have an LT77 and V8 to replace the existing LT77/12J setup.

New engine and box (and bellhousing) are from Disco donors I understand.

Bellhousing came with the box and was attached so is presumably the correct one. The assumptions with Land Rovers seem to be dangerous...

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Defender boxes have the gearstick about a foot further forward than Disco/RR so you may need to convert the top - Ashcroft sell a conversion kit, you can't just swap the shifter mechanism unfortunately.

OK, that's not a disaster. Thanks.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:25 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

Defender boxes have the gearstick about a foot further forward than Disco/RR so you may need to convert the top - Ashcroft sell a conversion kit, you can't just swap the shifter mechanism unfortunately.

Don't happen to have a link for that do you? I've crawled all over the Ashcroft site and can only find one for an R380...

Unfortunately I think you still need an adapter to sit on the selector forks in the back of the box.

Ask me how I know ... Stupid design necessitating a custom adapter piece. They could have made them the same or they could have made it such that you didn't completely have to strip the box to swap them over. The adapter is the easiest way to achieve it though.

14 hours ago, Junglie said:

Thanks, but they're both for the R380 - mine is an LT77...

i used a defender lt77 top assembly with the syncro adapter and the disco r380
give them a ring and ask them if it'll work with the disco lt77 box

18 hours ago, Junglie said:

Kinda had it now

Nah - you can do this. It's just time and money ain't it...

On 5/18/2023 at 9:19 AM, Junglie said:

New engine and box

Do you know what the state of health of the LT77 is? Personally I wouldn't dream of fitting a used box unless I've had it all apart and put it back together again myself. This also for reconditioned boxes - unless it's Ashcroft. 

But then I'm an old fusspot....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phill S said:

Do you know what the state of health of the LT77 is? Personally I wouldn't dream of fitting a used box unless I've had it all apart and put it back together again myself. This also for reconditioned boxes - unless it's Ashcroft. 

But then I'm an old fusspot....

No, you're just averse to going through the pain of installing a gearbox only to have to do it again when it explodes 10 minutes later...

The box has been overhauled with new synchro rings, seals and bearings. That's why I'm so hacked off about now realising the poxy thing won't fit because it's a Disco box. I really don't want to have to acquire a used Defender box and transfer all my box guts to it, though that's looking like it may be the easiest/cheapest option :(

2 hours ago, Junglie said:

I really don't want to have to acquire a used Defender box and transfer all my box guts to it, though that's looking like it may be the easiest/cheapest option

I'd have thought the shifter conversion would be easiest/cheapest, from memory it was only a little nubbin that goes on the end of the selector... dare say if you can't buy one someone could make you one.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd have thought the shifter conversion would be easiest/cheapest, from memory it was only a little nubbin that goes on the end of the selector... dare say if you can't buy one someone could make you one.

That's what I was hoping... but Dave Ashcroft says No - they only do an adapter for the R380.

He was quite pleasant about it...but also unequivocal.

It's going to cost me the best part of £1500 (including VAT) to swap to an R380, including a bellhousing but plus a diff lock lever. Maybe get £500 for my rebuilt LT77 so it's a grand.

Or there's a company called KJ Parts LLC who will take the guts of my Disco box and put it in a Defender one for £765, including collection and delivery. Which looks like a bargain because I don't need to do anything else.

Anyone got any experience of them, though?

6 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Not heard of them to be honest. What's stopping you fitting a second hand box of reasonable provenance? 

Nothing apart from the challenge of finding a second hand V8 ratio LT77 of even known provenance, let alone reasonable...