Diesel heater in a 110 TD5 Station Wagon

bishbosh

I am thinking of taking a punt on one of the Chinese diesel heaters as for the money they do get reasonable reviews. Struggling to find a home for it though in my 110 TD5 SW. Don't really want it inside for fear of CO poisoning but also unsure of their weatherproofness. (probably zero given the price!)

Any clever ideas out there?

I had mine in the tool box under the driver's seat, but that's out for you. Some have fitted them under the cubby box. You might be able to squeeze it under the back seat. Our 110 has a rear toolbox so it could be an option to create one or at least make a mud shield to fit it there.

Mike

you can get a weather proof box for them that allows for fitting under vehicles, i'm sure my old man did that on his camper
we have a couple of 2kw ones sent from the makers to test and one will be going into my work 110
at present i'm thinking it will go in the original battery box with the hydraulic ceetop valve but until i get the chassis and all the major parts fitted i'm not 100% yet

Depends how paranoid you want to be - I would not want a Chinese one or even a German one directly inside a cab with me while sleeping.

Mounting it in an external box (maybe with a small fresh air vent like a battery box would have) with a duct to blow into the cab is a decent idea, or inside the seatbox one side or tother.

Making sure the exhaust vents properly and away from anywhere it can seep back in is also important, our ambulance has about 6' of exhaust duct from the eberspacher to the opposite side of the body where there's no window. It draws in on the other side so the blower air intake is an entire body-width away from the exhaust.

Thanks all. My CO paranoia is strong so agree on the "not in the cabin" approach.

I don't think there is space under the bonnet which would be the ideal spot so I'll have to consider somewhere underneath and try and make it sufficiently weatherproof for the heater to not self destruct.

How cold does it need to get, for you to sleep with it running? I mean actually sleep and not lie there in the morning waiting for it to warmup the cab.

Ours is under the cubby in the Mudstuff heater box BTW.

• Like 1

My Eberspacher is in a Mudstuff steel box under my cubby box, the air intake & exhaust for the burner is outside, only air inside is the air from the cab then it's heated & blown into rear footwell, the inlet & exhaust & fuel in are sealed from the cabin. 

Some of my install info is in tail end of this thread

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/106258-eberspächer-advice/page/3/#comments

I've slightly considered building an enclosure next to the fuel filler neck, to house a heater in... The problelm (apart from proximety to petrol) is providing a decent door / access hatch.

On the passenger side of the 110 I've built a small cubby store behind the rear wheel which is perfect for tool storage.

image.png.6bc6a9e7f3bdcfa31f0b0bfee1822b32.png

In all fairness, if I could make or sort a decent door / access hatch adjacent to the petrol neck then housing a diesel heater behind the rear wheel may be a good solution 

• Like 1

What about a box with a top hat flange round the top, like the classic Mini battery box, if you are familiar, dropped into the top of the rear wheelarch near the bulkhead ? The 109 spare wheel well fits like this. Can have a lid on it and no unsightly and leaky ill fitting doors in the side panels.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Peaklander said:

How cold does it need to get, for you to sleep with it running? I mean actually sleep and not lie there in the morning waiting for it to warmup the cab.

Ours is under the cubby in the Mudstuff heater box BTW.

This is a very valid point and has exposed my over thinking of the problem! :D 

Realistically won't be camping out in stupid cold weather (that is what hotels are for!) so will look into the cubby location although I am still going to explore a vapour build of a box somewhere under a wheel box!

21 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Good question - we find running ours while getting into bed & then when we wake up is good enough... basically being blasted with warm air while you're getting dressed/undressed and while the bedding is still warming up from being in the cupboard is good enough most of the time.

That and warming up after being out in the cold & wet - the ambulance gets used fairly regularly at events to warm up bedraggled WAGs :lol:

• Haha 1

The best use for ours is when we need to get dry - especially when it is cool or cold. Closely followed by staying warm or getting warm. As we have a lifting roof and therefore sleep 'upstairs' the temperature up there is as per camping but we dress accordingly and have the correct bedding. I have never thought of needing the heater on overnight but have never slept during the coldest weather.

As @western says, the combustion gases 'ought' to stay out of the cab, as it is a sealed unit but you ought to have a CO alarm in the heated space anyway.

• Like 3