Damaged/Tight threads, OK to restore with a die?

The nut holding the top of the rear shock absorbers to the upper bracket was extremely tight. It only came off because I was using a large 3/4" ratchet set. One side was slightly worse than the other. The nuts were actually hot when I got them off from the friction. Is it OK to use a die to tidy up the threads for the new nut? Getting new upper brackets will take more than a week and I really need the car back on the road as we are very remote.

If you have the correct die or dienut it should be okay. Are they significantly reduced in size due to corrosion,  that might be a reason to replace but the load is not taken by the bolt, it is only a retainer to stop the bush sliding off the pin.

• Like 1

They look OK, just very, very tight. Determining the thread size is now the problem, to buy a die. I believe it is 12 x 1.75, but no car means I can't go out to check. 15 clicks from the nearest

town. 

14 minutes ago, pgrbff said:

They look OK, just very, very tight. Determining the thread size is now the problem, to buy a die. I believe it is 12 x 1.75, but no car means I can't go out to check. 15 clicks from the nearest

town. 

I believe that is correct, the parts listing has it as M12, 1.75 is the standard pitch so should be correct, it doesn't look like a fine thread. 

they are quite often a fine thread more like 12. 1.25, a good wire brush and then a hacksaw blade in your fingers to clean the base of the threads can often work wonders, put back on with plenty of coppaslip/grease and you are good. if you are in a pinch you could always drill through the flat on the nut and put a split pin in.

Edit: if Paul has looked at the part no. listen to him not me!

• Like 1

The nut at the bottom of the shock is finer pitch but I believe the M12 can be 1.0. 1.5 or 1.75. I have ordered a die from Amazon, hopefully, will be here tomorrow. Nuts were also ordered, but I'll have to drive 2 hours to pick them up.

I have a thread file, very useful, it's square with different thread pitches on each face, cannot lay my hands on it at the moment for a picture. However, I also have this which is excellent for restoring threads, it covers multiple 60 degree metric pitches and diameters within its range. It's called a Nes1A and restores threads between 4 and 18mm, you can also get them at 55 degrees to cover imperial threads

20230711_085003.thumb.jpg.658ac0e0cfaacf1fdcb002ccc4991c1c.jpg

20230711_084952.thumb.jpg.5bf1f2fee730642afb4a8ec3596e053d.jpg

20230711_084940.thumb.jpg.93aff5d6c37724570e4f0a19b695017e.jpg

regards Stephen 

• Like 3

On 7/11/2023 at 8:57 AM, Stellaghost said:

I have a thread file, very useful, it's square with different thread pitches on each face, cannot lay my hands on it at the moment for a picture. However, I also have this which is excellent for restoring threads, it covers multiple 60 degree metric pitches and diameters within its range. It's called a Nes1A and restores threads between 4 and 18mm, you can also get them at 55 degrees to cover imperial threads

20230711_085003.thumb.jpg.658ac0e0cfaacf1fdcb002ccc4991c1c.jpg

20230711_084952.thumb.jpg.5bf1f2fee730642afb4a8ec3596e053d.jpg

20230711_084940.thumb.jpg.93aff5d6c37724570e4f0a19b695017e.jpg

regards Stephen 

Just be careful because although all metric threads are 60 degrees, not all imperial ones are 55.... Only British Standard Fine, British Standard Whitworth and British Standard Pipe are 55.

UNF and UNC are 60.

• Like 1