Slightly OT - speeding

will_warne

I heard on the news this morning that last night someone was clocked a couple of miles from home (on a country road) doing 172 mph in a Porche he'd borrowed from work!!! I think he may be in just a little bit of trouble... What road he was on I don't know as I can't think of one locally (bar the A34) that you could physically get a car up to those sort of speeds. Totally mad!

Must have been either on the first bit of A420 after the A34 junction or alternatively on the stretch near Southmoor. Either way, at that speed, he will almost certainly be charged with Dangerous Driving and end up at Oxford Crown Court. He will be looking at custody and a mandatory minimum disqualification of 12 months, followed by an extended retest if he wants to get his licence back.

Must have been either on the first bit of A420 after the A34 junction or alternatively on the stretch near Southmoor. Either way, at that speed, he will almost certainly be charged with Dangerous Driving and end up at Oxford Crown Court. He will be looking at custody and a mandatory minimum disqualification of 12 months, followed by an extended retest if he wants to get his licence back.

Unless he is a traffic cop "familiarising himself with the characteristics of the car" that is........ :ph34r:

so I hear............ :unsure: apparently.... erm there was a local game here of hitting 150+ between roundabouts... or the section of the A339 where 165 is doable.. or the famous interview on TVS when they had the nice Policeman talking about Basingstoke ring road opening...

dastardly behaviour - should be castrated or something... naturally I would never...

erm

:ph34r:

Dangerous Driving is an either way offence, which can be tried in the Crown Court if serious enough and an offence for which people do get sent down.

172, even on a dual carriageway, is likely to be charged as Dangerous Driving rather than just speeding. The fact that he has been arrested and bailed shows that the Police regard it as more than just a speeding matter.

Add to that the fact that he had 'borrowed' the car from his employers, he could be charged with Aggravated Vehicle Taking on the basis that, after the vehicle had been taken, it was driven dangerously.

I would not rate his chances of staying out of custody. If I was advising him, I would tell him to bring a toothbrush to his sentencing hearing :blink::unsure:

I wondered how long it'd be before this was in the news! I was at work at the time.....

Rumour control is mostly right. Driver was in a Posche that he'd 'borrowed' from work. Slight problem was that they didn't know about it.

Stretch of road was the A420 Oxford-bound before the junction with the A415, approaching Kingston Bagpuize and Southmoor.

The Roads Policing Officer (who I know very well - he gave me my lathe!) shall remain nameless. He heard the car coming before he could see it! The only reason they slowed enough to be caught was the roundabout with the A415, and a large dose of right foot in the Vectra.

Bloke was arrested for TWOC (taking a vehicle without consent) and excess speed.

As a reward for recording the ****ry's highest non-motorbike speeding offence with a handheld device, the Officer got to drive the Posche back to the Police Station :D

And they say that the Police target innocent motorists and should be out catching real criminals :rolleyes:

I didn't know you could get custodial sentence for a motoring offence other than D&D, causing death by dangerous driving. I thought speeding was just points/fine.

Les. :)

This'd fall into 'dangerous driving' - max sentance 2 years.

If he'd killed someone, max sentance is 14 years for death by dangerous.

That stretch of dual carriageway is where I have come closest in recent times to getting pulled over for speeding.

Heading towards Swindon on the bike, I spotted something in a green flourescent jacket in the distance and was able to slow down enough by the time I was within range of the LTI 20/20 he was holding and pointing at me :o

Gordon,

It’s interesting that different forces take vastly different approaches to this sort of offence…………

Not so long ago I was a passenger in a Scooby that was in an advanced state of tune ………the owner (who I know well………. he is no youngster !) had asked me to look at the fuel maps etc whilst he was driving. On the A*** (near me) I told him I needed to see 6.5K (along with some other parameters) …………. to my astonishment he nailed it and I got the readings I needed………bear in mind here that I was glued to the laptop and the tuning aid does not show road speed ……….. I guessed we were going quickly but I had no idea how quickly.

As we came off the dual carriageway to a roundabout, plod was waiting for us at the off slip exit. The driver was cautioned for 158mph ………. Plod was semi smiling when they told us they had presumed what slip we would come off at ……… because they had no car locally that could catch us at that speed. To be honest Plod was more interested in the car than the offense and said it would be a speeding offense

Due to a technicality in the way in which the speed reading was taken …….. it never came to court and I assume the CPS threw it out………..

I would hasten to add that I do not condone this type of activity ……….. there is a time and a place ……….. and a public highway is definitely not the place.

:D

Ian

This'd fall into 'dangerous driving' - max sentance 2 years.

If he'd killed someone, max sentance is 14 years for death by dangerous.

Sounds F***K up enough for this poxy country at the moment :angry:

Well lets bang someone up for 2 years for speeding whislt illegal immigrant & sex offenders walk around <_<

Yer ban him . Yer fine him, but he didnt harm anyone ,there are a lot more serious offences just left alone by the police & courts.

But i suspect if hes not a home or business owner then they will let him off anyway as it far easier to just F**K tax payers up the ass & let everyone else walk away :angry:

Yer im not happy with the Police & courts at the moment .But i do my job & pay tax so they should do theres. :angry:

Oh yer & i got a letter through saying that i am being prosecuted for doing 35 in a 30 !!!!!! He bang me up as well.

As a reward for recording the ****ry's highest non-motorbike speeding offence with a handheld device, the Officer got to drive the Posche back to the Police Station :D

Aahh but did the officer also have the owners consent......... ;):unsure:

You can. Each line on the road is spaced so that, for the given time elapse between the two photographs, every line will equate to three miles per hour.

You just need to find a set of Gatso lines that are't too long (and some are bluddy long!)

Even so, they'll get a photo of your first appearance!

I thought you could go fast enough to twart speed cameras? Although I suppose two officers could then reasonably 'form an opinion' that you were exceeding the limit...

Top Gear did a test on this a couple of years ago and you can but I think the speed is something over 180mph - 186 springs to mind? Can't remember what they did the test with but the end result was that if you go past it fast enough it doesn't "see" you and never flashed.

The Top Gear one was against a static Gatso camera and I think it was 176mph and the camera didn't flash at all. The vehicle entered and left the detection zone before the camera had time to be activated. Hand held device is laser, so not much chance of it not detecting your speed.

The Kingston Bagpuize bypass is a very common place for people to speed, they get stuck behind lorries for miles on end coming from the Swindon direction, and use this stretch to get past them. I would imagine the Police would have a very successful day if they set up speed camera's along there. - The rest of the A420 is littered with Gatsos.

Les. :)

They frequently park themselves at the first junction after the start of the dual carriageway, where the road goes off into Southmoor. They can see stuff coming in both directions from there, but mostly target stuff coming along the dual from the roundabout.

Guest dew110CSW

Got a road like that near here - Heysham to Lancaster bypass for those in the area. Doing 50 on the head during a driving lesson (50 limit) and stuff was blasting past. A cop sat just over the crest of the hill at the heysham end on the bend could have a profitable day.