2024 travels

Nonimouse

After my life changing event earlier this year, I have realised I can no longer wait, to go back to travelling, until I retire, .

I had hoped to got to back to Morocco next year, as I have a base to use in Rabat, that comes with garage and mechanics, and some amazing routes into areas well off the tourist routes. Sadly, it's going to have to wait until 2025.

As such, I had planned a France/Spain/Portugal route. This is the best part of 6 thousand miles, meaning it will also have to go on the back boiler. Instead I am going to France.

I need to visit a grave near Soissons (well a number of graves, but one in particular), as well as visiting Arjan. I have three+ weeks to spend out there, and as such, I am making a list of all the places I want to visit and haven't, along with all the places I promised myself I would go back to (like the Camargue national park near Montpellier) 

My intention is to take the Discovery (simply because I can) and to camp/B&B. Travel will be limited to a max of 150miles a day, avoiding the toll roads as much as is sensible and as much off tarmac as is possible. At most I will have one passenger (my lady friend) and we will travel light...

Taking a thirty year old vehicle, even a well maintained one, is a potential risk. Especially looking at 2.5K miles. So a number of those 'little' jobs I have been putting off will need doing, as well as a very comprehensive service

I need another 24 spline four pinion diff, and new half shafts. I won't bother with HD stuff. No point. I'll pull the CV's and take a looksee. I've just re-flanged the T box, so that's done. I could do with fitting an extended T box sump, as I do want to pop over to Spain and back on the pilgrims route, and I'll be driving to Spain in August anyway...

Might have a looksee in the bell housing with a borescope, see how the clutch is doing...

I've also got this idea to make a swing away spare wheel carrier with a Boullivant Engineering swing away carrier

Lots to do

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bishbosh said:

Careful, you might end up with a convoy... ;) 

I'm up for that... or join up for a while, then separate

Rough Route is Chunnel or cheap ferry to Calais, Soissons (Vauxbuin French Military Cemetery, Arjan's gaff in the Auvergne,  Bordeaux area, Lourdes(ish), Montpellier, Avignon, Castallane via the Verdun Gorge, Gap Orcieres to remember the Croisierre Blanche, then some other stuff

I'd like to go to Chateau De Montfort - because I remember it from age 7. I would also like to fit in Chartres and Chateau Gaillard

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Thank you, most kind, but work supply me with one. For ecological use admittedly

Is that to see the wood through the trees. :hysterical: Sorry I'll get my coat. :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

Sounds like a good trip. We have a trip in the very loose planning. Down to Italy, boat to Greece (to see my step brother), up to Bulgaria (to see father-in-law) and home. When and how long is another matter.

Mike

43 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Is that to see the wood through the trees. :hysterical: Sorry I'll get my coat. :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

Sounds like a good trip. We have a trip in the very loose planning. Down to Italy, boat to Greece (to see my step brother), up to Bulgaria (to see father-in-law) and home. When and how long is another matter.

Mike

Actually it is to look inside trees - mainly for bats. I also use it to look inside Dormouse boxes.

Oddly enough I've got the time, 40 days leave next year, but I don't want to drive more than a couple of thousand miles. A friend has asked me to be his support vehicle when he drives from Somerset to Sicily and back, in 2025. Thatsover 3,600 miles. Following his Series 1 88 with 200tdi. I'd love to go, as it's somewhere I've never been and the drive down would be epic. But the thought of that many miles...hopefully I will be up for it by then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Actually it is to look inside trees - mainly for bats. I also use it to look inside Dormouse boxes.

Oddly enough I've got the time, 40 days leave next year, but I don't want to drive more than a couple of thousand miles. A friend has asked me to be his support vehicle when he drives from Somerset to Sicily and back, in 2025. Thatsover 3,600 miles. Following his Series 1 88 with 200tdi. I'd love to go, as it's somewhere I've never been and the drive down would be epic. But the thought of that many miles...hopefully I will be up for it by then.

The small part of Sicily I've seen (boat related) is lovely you'll love it. Go!

Mike

Edited by miketomcat
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 9:49 PM, Nonimouse said:

Taking a thirty year old vehicle, even a well maintained one, is a potential risk. Especially looking at 2.5K miles.

I see no problem here at all, a small jaunt like that should be a walk in the park!

Right near Calais I can recommend a visit to https://www.lacoupole-france.com/ and if you want a good spot for lunch "Au Tour Du Monde" cafe (assuming it's still there) just up the road in Bollezeele, if you ask nicely the proprietor will show you his back room full of vintage bikes.

We're booked for the 24 Hours of LeMans in 2024 so out & back around the 15-16 June via the tunnel - if that coincides with your travels at all it would be excellent to meet up.

23 hours ago, miketomcat said:

We have a trip in the very loose planning. Down to Italy, boat to Greece (to see my step brother), up to Bulgaria (to see father-in-law) and home. When and how long is another matter.

Crack on, we could do with a club "Grand Tour" :lol:

• Like 2

No reason a car of any age shouldn't make it if maintained well! Sounds like a good trip.

We took a pair of Triumph Stags down the the Swiss border last year for a week, I had zero issues, not bad really since I'd only pulled it out a barn and got it back on the road 6 months prior to the trip. (pictured here at Reims motor circuit which is well worth looking at). https://maps.app.goo.gl/htYdP9PhMrweD5vE9

ADCreHdhcNAQxU1mJev25gV3BzT9zRJidDlEO41sAMlfWwZUYjhZSQpm_i3g2ZOPudkIEXT-AZbLMFOLsUfK6WKXblvqs5-wLGGsOxvb-AYg3IRrdbD2GFJ8-H6fehsg1JC4QmUAZwzWDCC4fKJJn-6M_ahmYV-faCaRYXFvZqi7P66zinQOxGknP458nmQFJs8KByxxS0KMAOSqlFFkCE4iwfgZR99qrVmIstVUNk9DPfVH7jGW06XweFzPV89LO8yaCQx5tZB_nJyVm7PhzeglnCqJs5jSVUDwo2pBFG05OcI1q7phBfoebzLy2xwK5pyYYN9hb_6ulIpgw3vLv3NbSRW1cWxfwqqllZBgQPrL8_Zg_1djeC7WaSZzqFBLk8VWDoG44Vzmd8kfJsYuAOrIA6ZOab2PcNn_TDCZ1VOXTazFTAOh9ecHknbzBwhb1cfzTTOsxz0d9SzvCNRNdwTpi6ozjgThmVh0J2maTFKd-NnbaBUTdqVeQ1ByxhG3u441yVNIVGiROOa4ApTtJmCBKPoAsMzzRP4fEYn6AWpbAhBilGIW0RiSDLCDztU465ZjnuS1vKaGdDKg_cClx13PmJS9Li8OLNMCXd-9BR0gJyMP3_06K9_PrybyBKbk1ePBwy9kuYQ5JztbPspyybAjdjCOONQb6McN3cmbXrdLOINKZ7fUYfBoPh2TY0FVBWi6XcUDW7pEJXl_t2pTucCzJfYKtrKLCK8KgmaVSLWxIvREdSRQd0QAwHZIT9-oG4nappuigr-s4aCGqd1S89yidNzwJAgz__-a_QGHib0E0TeymwL1QvyG5-t4PmJZIFNqTbVrAy_a2vPo86GYYe8nELkgudu99k4xKiIdOugsFqQxBkPFwoFrQXZTrDO9bk2e-Ht2spFPu-jqfcgKIBaLMFM3mg=w1284-h963-s-no-gm?authuser=0

If you're going to be in the area then Colle Sommeiller might be worth a look, I've got it marked on a map for future exploration.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3Ez1egrhzS4qzkiC7

Also this if you're passing... https://maps.app.goo.gl/promndpjuRD2t7Tp8

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I see no problem here at all, a small jaunt like that should be a walk in the park!

Right near Calais I can recommend a visit to https://www.lacoupole-france.com/ and if you want a good spot for lunch "Au Tour Du Monde" cafe (assuming it's still there) just up the road in Bollezeele, if you ask nicely the proprietor will show you his back room full of vintage bikes.

We're booked for the 24 Hours of LeMans in 2024 so out & back around the 15-16 June via the tunnel - if that coincides with your travels at all it would be excellent to meet up.

Crack on, we could do with a club "Grand Tour" :lol:

La Coupole is on the list - right at the top. I've been passed a few times, back before they refurbished the museum.

All things working well, I will be in France around the 15/16th June