Car auctions for civilians?

Daan

Hi, I am looking to replace both our daily drivers over the next year. I tend to avoid dealerships and car traders as they cannot be trusted (just my opinion).

My current car I bought at the BCA car auction in 2012. You used to be able to get registered for a nominal fee, then turn up and raise your hand at the right time.

Since Covid, however, normal people are no longer welcome at the major auctions, only car traders.

Is there any car auction that still welcomes normal people and has reasonable say 5 year old cars?

Midlands preferred, but willing to travel.

Daan

Just had a check around the auctions I used to frequent and only Newark seems to be open to the public, https://www.newarkmotorauctions.co.uk. There is a stock list on the website.

Both BCA and Manheim seem to be aggressively "trade only", Aston Barclay seem to set a more accessable bar for the part time trader, (business account and motor trade policy), https://www.astonbarclay.net/trade-application

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 10:44 PM, jeremy996 said:

Just had a check around the auctions I used to frequent and only Newark seems to be open to the public, https://www.newarkmotorauctions.co.uk. There is a stock list on the website.

Both BCA and Manheim seem to be aggressively "trade only", Aston Barclay seem to set a more accessable bar for the part time trader, (business account and motor trade policy), https://www.astonbarclay.net/trade-application

Astonbarclay is a no go for normal people with the motor trade policy, the newark one looks ok, but not that much on offer.

On 12/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, western said:

There's Brightwells at Ludlow, might be worth a enquiry 

That looks a good option, and even a few landys! Registered for Brightwells.

14 hours ago, pat_pending said:

https://www.letchworthmotorauctions.co.uk/

Try this lot, though I don't think there's many bargains to be had in the current climate.

Trade insurance only on this one.

Thanks for the reply's so far.

With regards to values, the tables seem to have turned in recent months; Although prices were through the roof since covid, the cost of living crisis has now stopped people buying anything flashy, and a few cars are being repossessed from PCP deals due to people defaulting on their payments.

Range rovers prices especially have more than halved since a year ago, but this is mainly down to insurance I think.

Looks like people are downsizing on their cars, and the only cars that sell well at the moment are 5k or less bargain basement cars.

I will monitor prices over the course of 2024. We are in no rush, as our current cars still work. 

I think with your personal knowledge you shouldn't be scared of a dealer. You also have the sale of goods act on your side so at least a 6 month warranty.

Do your research on the dealers and go for it. No reason that an auction is going to be any less risky, even if you might save a few quid on the actual purchase price.

I bought my last car (5 years old, not a Land Rover, sorry) online, sight unseen. Did the usual checks (HPI etc) and it has a full main dealer service history which I could view online. Had it delivered to my home at which point I examined it and was happy to accept it.

30 minutes ago, bishbosh said:

I think with your personal knowledge you shouldn't be scared of a dealer. You also have the sale of goods act on your side so at least a 6 month warranty.

Do your research on the dealers and go for it. No reason that an auction is going to be any less risky, even if you might save a few quid on the actual purchase price.

I bought my last car (5 years old, not a Land Rover, sorry) online, sight unseen. Did the usual checks (HPI etc) and it has a full main dealer service history which I could view online. Had it delivered to my home at which point I examined it and was happy to accept it.

I am not scared of a dealer, just of their prices.

I bought my previous car with a full 3 year VW manufacturer warranty on the VW financial services auction for ex-leased cars. The auction is where the car traders buy, I just trying to undercut them by £1500-£2000.

There is very little comeback to used car traders in my experience, so why pay extra for it?

I found this one, looks like some good stock, and allows civilians:

https://www.g3remarketing.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Daan said:

Which ones do you use?

Raw2K and Synetiq. Both have a registration fee. For Raw2K it is £20 payable on purchase of the first vehicle and lasts 1 year for Synetiq I use my brother's account but from memory that is £50 per year. 

I check the MOT history and check the photos carefully. I try and work out how long the Police have had it and what the circumstances are for the seizure don't be put off by no keys as the owner will likely have told the police officer, taking his car away, to go F himself and throw the keys away. The police aren't bothered to look for them and the recovery driver has a great big winch. I can give to the low down on getting keys if the need arises.

My current car I have been driving for 3 years, needed keys and the front end was bashed in only issue I had with it was getting the speedo clocks repaiered which is a common fault on Sports and Discos. It came from the police.

On 12/12/2023 at 10:44 PM, jeremy996 said:

It appears Astonbarclay does allow civilians: you can turn up on the day, pay a £400 deposit, and make bids on cars.

5 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

Raw2K and Synetiq. Both have a registration fee. For Raw2K it is £20 payable on purchase of the first vehicle and lasts 1 year for Synetiq I use my brother's account but from memory that is £50 per year. 

I check the MOT history and check the photos carefully. I try and work out how long the Police have had it and what the circumstances are for the seizure don't be put off by no keys as the owner will likely have told the police officer, taking his car away, to go F himself and throw the keys away. The police aren't bothered to look for them and the recovery driver has a great big winch. I can give to the low down on getting keys if the need arises.

My current car I have been driving for 3 years, needed keys and the front end was bashed in only issue I had with it was getting the speedo clocks repaiered which is a common fault on Sports and Discos. It came from the police.

Ok, thanks, that could work. I noticed most cars at Synetiq don't have a V5. Does this mean you get it back after an inspection?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daan said:

It appears Astonbarclay does allow civilians: you can turn up on the day, pay a £400 deposit, and make bids on cars.

Ok, thanks, that could work. I noticed most cars at Synetiq don't have a V5. Does this mean you get it back after an inspection?

Guessing they just haven’t been retrieved when the vehicles were siezed?

32 minutes ago, Daan said:

I have never worried about the V5 that is just a case of applying for it. Neither I or my brother who buys far more cars than I d have every had an issue getting the V5 just have to bear in mind the additional £25 unless it is a Cat S where it should be free. As soon as you collect the car apply for the log book, if it is insurance or police it will come through quite quickly.

Never had any of my cars inspected, just normal MOT proceedure.