Protecting Wires from v8 Heat

I’ve noticed some wires in my engine bay have been affected by the heat. A few damaged wires and a few where it’s just affected the outer casing.

To ensure safety for current wires and future what do you all advise to wrap them in? Hoping will also tidy things up a bit too. Obviously goes without saying keep wires away from manifolds is key as well which I’ve already done. Including 3 wires laying on the exhaust silencer?! :)

Yeah previously I used the split conduit on my TD5 but just wandered if that’s enough. I’ll look up the high temp sleeping as that sounds good for risky areas. 
Is the fabric braided sleeping pretty good? Mainly ask as know a lot of modern cars use it…

Split conduit provides protection from rubbing etc. and makes things nice and neat but it will not provide any protection from heat.

If you can’t route the wires away from hot stuff then the heat resistant fabric sleeping would be my choice, as used on factory LR engine looms. 

2 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Split conduit provides protection from rubbing etc. and makes things nice and neat but it will not provide any protection from heat.

If you can’t route the wires away from hot stuff then the heat resistant fabric sleeping would be my choice, as used on factory LR engine looms. 

I guess something like this product though I assume there’s a split version to make it easier ha 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185294794459?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GKaFuNVBRSC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=9FsqrjJWROa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Reflecting heat makes a massive difference, foil-backed glass fibre sleeving is cheap on eBay now, you can get it in various diameters including with a split with velcro down it so you can add it to existing wires. The motorsport / aerospace stuff is very nice but gets expensive quickly and is likely overkill.

Just putting something white or silver between the source of heat (usually the exhaust/manifold) and the wires will make a big difference. A piece of aluminium tube or angle around or in front of the wires would work, I also used a short offcut of stainless braided brake hose to protect my starter wire as it drops down past the manifolds, it slipped perfectly over it.

As others said, putting black trunking/sleeving over something will only knock it down a bit as the black will absorb heat & soak it up rather than reflect it.

• Like 1

That all makes perfect sense and is super useful @FridgeFreezer. Think im just going to go through all the electrics - tidy up the odd rats nests and ensure every wire has some protection as currently just wires loose everywhere. Since the eBay stuffs cheap may as well use everywhere and do the extra for anything near manifolds as think I have the same as you happening re starter and wire isnt looking too happy!

I made my own engine loom so got heat sleeving from vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk when I bought the wire so have used that where I thought it may need it. I fitted it before crimping the terminals so I used tubing just larger than the wire rather than having to slip it over the terminals 20231226_011726.thumb.jpg.4e4341dc0d6243a8179226eda4701d0f.jpg

After 20 to 30 years, the PVC insulation will have degraded and become brittle with the heat. When you bend it , it might crack, so doing it all again might be a good idea.

On 1/19/2024 at 2:56 PM, Mediamab said:

Im debating actually stripping everything out and starting again to do it right - I love a challenge ha

TBH rewiring a standard Defender is one of the easiest rewiring jobs going - and you can incorporate some future-proofing and upgrades at the same time.

VWP sell all the right colours.

Yeah it’s something I’ve been considering as I also have a massive of earths connected to the bulkhead and also odd ones on the engine like one on the exhaust manifold!? As you say definitely helps setup for the future! Who’s VWP though? :)

Actually I believe from the factory they had an earth connected to a special bolt on the exhaust manifold. #9 in the parts diagram. I have also found it on my early Rangerovers 

840_exhaust_manifoldwithout_heat_transfer_cover.png

Edited by Paul C

50 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Actually I believe from the factory they had an earth connected to a special bolt on the exhaust manifold. #9 in the parts diagram. I have also found it on my early Rangerovers 

840_exhaust_manifoldwithout_heat_transfer_cover.png

Having a quick google it looks like this bolt is for a heat shield over the starter? Which mine certainly doesn’t ha 

6 minutes ago, Mediamab said:

Having a quick google it looks like this bolt is for a heat shield over the starter? Which mine certainly doesn’t ha 

Yep, that's what I thought it was for too.