3.9 V8 transplant: I think I killed my alternator

Been making some headway recently with my V8 transplant into my 1987 110. Not fully sorted yet, but this is how it's looking so far:

20240217_125752.thumb.jpg.6b6b70367fea474b06b23a3010e3d85e.jpg

Ran the engine up yesterday for the first time in a little while, mostly all good but a number of things to get sorted - firstly a dead alternator. No readable markings except the re-manufactured label. When first fired up this time, I had a working rev counter and the battery light extinguished. I'm using a Discovery 1 wiring loom and instrument panel like so:

20240217_132037.thumb.jpg.a578f1d926614f3c1b2bf9f4ecce9e35.jpg

So, on first starting it all looked good - great excitement - RPM settled to a reasonable tickover. Out and checking for fuel spraying about, flames, coolant leaks etc. Back inside a couple of minutes later to do the power steering thing and ensure hydraulics circulating. Imagine my disappointment to find no RPM working and the battery light on...

I think it's an AMR4247 - the original VIN was VA738xxx, a 1997 Discovery 1. Here's the connections at the rear:

20240217_130102.thumb.jpg.d3a79c056da25814d5c9cdb6aec85036.jpg

I've used the Disco fuse boxes, the alternator goes first to the engine bay unit, then over the penguin to the bulkhead +ve terminal like so:

20240217_130650.thumb.jpg.fbbf66d31478a972ee505d44d15b9a33.jpg

Today I've been through all of the circuitry for continuity checks and everything is fine. Why would it do this to me?

Worth checking the engine has a GOOD earth back to the battery, stick a jump lead between the Batt neg' and the engine and see if it starts charging.

If that's ok and it's been stood standing for a while it may just be the brushes stuck, easy enough to pop the cover off the back of the alternator and check.

• Like 1

Morning guys - thanks for the input.

16 hours ago, western said:

ElectroDiesel RCJ on Barncoose Ind Est at Pool can check the alternator & repair it, 

Thanks for that - they'll be going on my people to know about list. Will see if I can fix myself and then check them out if that doesn't work out.

I forgot to mention I'm an alternator dummy.

15 hours ago, pat_pending said:

Worth checking the engine has a GOOD earth back to the battery, stick a jump lead between the Batt neg' and the engine and see if it starts charging.

If that's ok and it's been stood standing for a while it may just be the brushes stuck, easy enough to pop the cover off the back of the alternator and check.

Now this sounds promising. I'll do the earth checks and if no joy get it out to check the brushes. There will be more questions in that case. I was a little shocked to find that it's actually 2 years since the alternator did any work - it's been sitting on the shelf all that time, so if sticky brushes are a thing that could be the prime suspect?

15 hours ago, Peaklander said:

It sounds as though it was working after engine start and then stopped.

That's right - that's why I'd assumed I'd somehow killed it...

13 hours ago, Paul C said:

Factory fit is AMR4247 as you said, 100A

HIF44's?! Old friends of mine. But I thought you were a 14CUX guy! More questions on that front when I'm past a few other irritants. Like alternators.

Remind me to ask you how you did your aircon sometime.

Back at the workshop tomorrow, will update after that.....

• Like 1

Jump lead from -ve battery to back of the engine block made no difference so out with the alternator.

A label underneath says it's an LRB00283. For future guy having the same problem here's the connectors at the rear:

20240219_143549.thumb.jpg.6b292f5c81149373f41ac2bc879a940b.jpg

And removing the black plastic cover:

20240219_144058.thumb.jpg.f367adb53eb2454011b6149a6d7cd799.jpg

reveals the brushes. I can't detect any tendency to stick - all free moving and slide nicely.

Is it time to call the menders?

• Like 1

Ok - this video is at about my level. A different alternator to what we have, but I assume the principles are the same. You can skip along until 11:05 where the off-car tests start. I got 2.8 Ohms at the slip rings - the uppermost brush pushed back and the tip of a cable tie pushed in to break the circuit. It was all over the place before that. I'm not cleat what he's doing after that though....

I don't understand what the 421 is? Anybody?

16 hours ago, Phill S said:

I don't understand what the 421 is? Anybody?

Looking at the meter it's in diode test mode so 421 is probably 421mV reverse voltage from battery terminal to casing as the leads are reversed.

Disclaimer - I am definitely not an auto electrician....

......but on my multimeter that is the continuity test position so would suggest there is a degree of resistance in that circuit?  Perhaps? Maybeeeee? (see disclaimer!)

2 hours ago, bishbosh said:

......but on my multimeter that is the continuity test position so would suggest there is a degree of resistance in that circuit?  Perhaps? Maybeeeee? (see disclaimer!)

It's continuity and diode test, *usually* in continuity mode there's a little icon in the top of the screen but it could equally be the case that it would show a little diode icon in diode mode, or possibly nothing either way and the display could be reading ohms OR millivolts...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get this sorted out over the weekend. Armed with the information that the weird symbol on my every expense spared multimeter (like the symbol on the one in the video pic above) means diode test, I checked out the 6 contacts and they all did what they were supposed to do.

The vehicle was previously 24v, now re-wired for 12v and had 2 batteries which individually aren't man enough to start the engine, and to date I've been using a bigger battery which is on it's last legs, but perfectly capable of starting the engine when fully charged. I had wondered if the alternator might be unhappy charging a dodgy battery, but having said that it was charging ok and the Disco 1 rev counter was working as described in my opening account of the problem. Anyhow, being basically a tight wad I decide to connect up the two small batteries in parallel as a get me going until the super duper split charge system gets put in. And so I can get an MoT. This meant going for a different chassis earth point as a result of the odds and ends of cables I had to hand. Like you do.

Ok, so now let's put it all back together and see if anything has changed. like maybe it'll work now.  And it did. Everything working fine, battery light gone out and rev counter working. Cheapo voltage indicator showing the right sort of things happening - 14.2v. Now, I'm pretty sure the earth was fine before the battery config change, and the jump lead to back of the engine would/should have sorted that if so (excellent tip!). So am I just rationalising in thinking it must have been the alternator brushes? Alternator sits on the shelf for two years, works for a short time and then doesn't. I guess it would only take one of the brushes to have been stuck...