Height clearance for 4-post ramp

Vapour garage build ongoing here…

Let's say I was to build a workshop and have provision for a ramp (likely a 4-post). What would be a sensible clearance height requirement to allow for its use?

Obviously I can just add the height of the vehicle to the ramp’s maximum lift as a simple measure but is there anything else to consider?

We're working on 4,50 mtrs. between floor and underside ceiling / trusses etc. for our workshop.

• 1 month later...

It's a little more work on the slab front but it is worth considering sinking the lift in so the ramps are flush with the main floor. Gains you a few inches and makes putting normal cars on it far easier. It also means than any oil spills etc., are likely to be contained rather than going off under benches etc.

You could always provision a drain inside there as well. For other reasons I installed an aqua channel around two walls of my workshop (ground behind them is significantly higher). I've not had an issue with water ingress through the wall because of the drainage work we did in the neighbours yard but it's been handy when I bring a wet vehicle in to be able to sweep the water that drops off into the drain.

I’d always pick a surface mount rather than sunken. You’ll always end up tripping over the edges, and majes stuff like transmission jacks or oil drain units a total pain. 

If you’re likely to be tight on heigh then working out what the highest working height you might need is helpful. IE not having to lift as high with a Land Rover as you’ve got the underbody clearance to think about. Also depends on the height of the person working on stuff!