Drivetrain issues, supected gearbox

Have an issue with an early L322. I bought it with a suspected gearbox problem. Have it at home and after the initial tow hom about 1.5 miles I put it in my driveway to check it out. Before I did anything I moved it back and forwards without any issue after it initally failed to move anywhere.

I thought I would try putting in some gear oil just to see what wouldhappen and started by getting an oil sample from the sump. Oil looked a good colour, not brown but a dark red. Which I took to be a good sign. This morning I got some oil in anticipation of topping the oil up. When I took the filling plug out the oil came gushing out, someone had over filled it. Let it drain down to the right level and reversed it up and down my driveway without a problem. I don't want to go out on the road until I have a vehicle to tow it back in if it fails.

The question I have is can the over filling cause drive failure and is this permanent?

These days there are sensors for everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a sensor that kills off movement when it thinks there is too much oil...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Arjan said:

These days there are sensors for everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a sensor that kills off movement when it thinks there is too much oil...

Would hope so but this one is 22 years old. Very nice car with 106,000 on the clock so worthwhile sorting. I have been out again and driven it about up and down, albeit not very fast but it is responding whereas before it wasn't going anywhere it would just rev.

Just to be sure, you did have the engine running when checking the level? If not, there will more oil in the sump as it's not being pumped to the torque converter etc.

To answer your question, yes, I have heard of overfilling causing excessive slip and potentially loss of drive. So fingers crossed it was an easy fix!

The gearbox is back to not working. It was working fine now it isn't moving the car. 

The engine was off when I opened the plug so could I have removed necessary oil?

3 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

so could I have removed necessary oil?

Quite likely, normally autobox levels are done when running and in neutral, but check the manual.

57 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Quite likely, normally autobox levels are done when running and in neutral, but check the manual.

And in these later autos, they often need to be at certain temps too. 

The correct procedure is: engine running, in N or P, after going through all the gears and back (with a pause at each gear), at 30-40° (for the older ZF box anyway). Temperature is not that critical, but you do need the engine running and all the valves primed.

6 hours ago, elbekko said:

It sounds a lot like the dead oil pump I had on my 4HP24, worked for a little bit until the oil was warm, then no drive anymore.

Does that entail replacing the gearbox?

16 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

Does that entail replacing the gearbox?

At least removing it and removing the bellhousing and front cover.

If there's any wear or metal in the fluid then the box will need a rebuild.

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

At least removing it and removing the bellhousing and front cover.

If there's any wear or metal in the fluid then the box will need a rebuild.

When I took a sample out of the gearbox it looked remarkably clean,

Is the pump a replacable item for a keen amature?

49 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

When I took a sample out of the gearbox it looked remarkably clean,

Is the pump a replacable item for a keen amature?

Depending on the box you can do it, they normally sit right behind the front cover of the gearbox, you will need to have a hunt for a manual for all the torque figures etc. 

27 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Depending on the box you can do it, they normally sit right behind the front cover of the gearbox, you will need to have a hunt for a manual for all the torque figures etc. 

Either way a gearbox out job. As I have a replacement will be easier just to swap it over.

• Like 1