Fairey pto

I'm looking for a workshop book or maybe a pdf file on a pto that fits an lt230 the easiest way if nobody minds me adding a file from another forum is to read that and if anyone has any info would be appreciated, ive spoke to a fella called Rob at LROE and he's going to get back to me but hasn't as yet and I suppose impatience has got the better of me as it would be nice to get at it this weekend, all the best guys 

Screenshot_20240315-151556_Chrome.jpg

I've managed to find a file from superwinch with part numbers, drawings and how to use it but @FridgeFreezer nothing to do with dismantling it, I can't imagine it's going to be rocket science but it's always nice to have something to look at with torque settings and suchlike 

Thank you fella, unfortunately thats the one I have, there's some good information on there but at the risk appearing ungrateful not the strip down bit I'm after, thanks for your effort mate, especially on a Sunday, all the best

8 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Is that the same as @Daan modified for use in his hybrid?

Indeed. I reckon there is a manual somewhere deep down in my 'archive' but it is a simple nut and bolt job, and assembly is the reverse of disassembly as the haynes manual says.

You won't get parts for it of Superwinch (I think they are no more), but all the bearings, seals, chains and sprockets are Generic standard parts that can be obtained through the usual suppliers.

Thank you @Daan that's handy to know, I didn't think it could be to complicated just airing on the side of caution really, it's nice to know nothings going to fly out at me

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look round my old files and things and can't find anything for the PTO, however I do still have a broken one sat in the garage.

From memory the bolt in the red cover only holds the cover on (don't overtighten it as it'll crack the cover!) which then lets you see the overload clutch. This can be loosened by undoing a grub screw and turning the outer ring - however make sure you make a note of how tight/how many turns it takes to undo, as that sets when the clutch cuts in. It's quite a simple system when you take it apart - based on some flexible plates and ball bearings - but if it's set too loose it'll just click at any sign of load and if it's too tight it might break the chain/cable rather than cutting out at the right amount.

If it's been set correctly and works fine I would be tempted to leave it be. Or buy the remains of mine and take that apart to see how it works 🤣

Found some old photos actually.

Tip 1: Don't hit tree stumps with the bottom of the PTO

Tip 2: Don't overtighten the overload clutch as the chain can snap, and then you can't take the load off the winch

Tip 3: Electric winches are far simpler for self recovery!

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4040.JPG

ISTR Dirtydiesel reckoning you could tweak the overload clutch up to get a reliable 20k pull from an H14, also can you clock the PTO round by re-drilling a couple of bolt holes and thus raising it up out of harm's way?

14 hours ago, darthdicky said:

Just had a look round my old files and things and can't find anything for the PTO, however I do still have a broken one sat in the garage.

From memory the bolt in the red cover only holds the cover on (don't overtighten it as it'll crack the cover!) which then lets you see the overload clutch. This can be loosened by undoing a grub screw and turning the outer ring - however make sure you make a note of how tight/how many turns it takes to undo, as that sets when the clutch cuts in. It's quite a simple system when you take it apart - based on some flexible plates and ball bearings - but if it's set too loose it'll just click at any sign of load and if it's too tight it might break the chain/cable rather than cutting out at the right amount.

If it's been set correctly and works fine I would be tempted to leave it be. Or buy the remains of mine and take that apart to see how it works 🤣

Thanks for all the info there that's great, it actually isn't going to be used for a winch, hopefully if all goes to plan we're going to run a log splitter off it so they'll be no real force just to turn a hydraulic pump, I've sort of had it apart but stopped again what with everything else going on, nice plug for your broken one😁, how broken is it and how much do you want for it?

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

You need to reroute the exhaust if you clock the PTO box. I wound mine up tight but I'm careful on what I pull.

Mike

Thanks for the info aswell fella, albeit the old 110 it's going on is basically a yard wheelbarrow and I should consider myself lucky it has a steering wheel let alone an exhaust, but noted thank you

On 4/1/2024 at 7:01 PM, darthdicky said:

Although looking at those photos now, I would question whether the 3 plates were in there the right way around for it to work, which might explain why I had problems with it...

Sent you a PM fella