Rover v8 4 year old oil mint condition ?

I think know the answer but Land River just coming back from lock down, oil looks mint but I know it degrades. It’s done 50 miles on that oil in the last 4 years but I guess I need to change anyway ? Can’t get few hundred miles out of it ? 

Well that’s the question if it’s low miles and the oil is at the end of its shelf  life but still within it as it sat in the garage can I get a couple of hundred miles with minimal engine wear change.

If there hasn't been much condensation and such, it's probably fine. I think the yearly recommendation is more for cars that sit outside a lot and rarely do a long enough journey to get warm.

If you have the chance, change it before starting. You'll want to put fresh oil in anyway. And if the V8 is in a Land Rover, it's easy enough to drain without a lift.

But if that's not practical for whatever reason, it's unlikely to do much harm using it as is for a limited time/distance.

It’s 6 litres for the 4.2 rover v8 right ? What’s recommended brand these days please ?  Maybe I’ll dig out the oil pan and remind myself why I get the garage to do this 🙂 

I'm using this:

https://www.millersoils-shop.co.uk/millers-oils-classic-pistoneeze-10w-40-engine-oil

It has the correct ZDDP additives for the cam and has noticably quietened the tappets on mine. 

They do it in 20w50 if that's the required viscosity for the non-serp engines, so you'd need to check that.

Can be had for a bit cheaper if you shop around. 

I can’t see it degrading much beyond a bit of condensation, and that will evaporate out after the first long run.  I’d be more concerned about the transmission and brake fluids, which also absorb condensation but don’t get warm enough to evaporate it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well no one said STOP so assume I’m good enough. Oil is in. Had to pop to get this from halfords to get the old filter off.

IMG_8213.thumb.jpeg.44578d5c9d9655dc876f3821061e9dfc.jpeg

Also got the Haynes manual out to show my son how those work. 🙂 

cut up a plastic bottle so the sump plug didn’t fall in the pan and guide the oil into the catch pan. Worked pretty well.

IMG_0080.thumb.jpeg.c6f880f9d05b1314744fe16ff3b0fcf6.jpeg

• Like 2