6 Bolt 'Gemmer' Box - Urgent Help Needed

I have an urgent issue that requires the taking-out of the top allen headed bolt in my Steering Box. Current one has sheared off at the top and while I can get it turned, it stops before it comes out. I have a possible spare in my old box but without being able to take out sheared bolt, I am reluctant to start taking the old box apart.

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the Gemmer box? I can't find anything on a first glance. Or, experience of the box and can advise if the allen head bolt can be extracted without taking the box apart? If not, is there a method to replacement?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thank you, I owe you many coffees (as you don't drink beer).

I just watched a video on 4 bolt refurb which confirmed the same, so that does it. I cannot do it in the car and I'm not inclined to try. I can see rust on the inside of the adjuster bolt where it's sheared, so I know I didn't over-tighten it. This box has been nothing but grief since I got it (I still need to write up what's happened as it's been hilariously awful) so I'm just going to return it.

I can't get a 6 bolt new and Britpart are the only ones that do the parts for refurb, so I am going to look at a 4 bolt swap.

Thanks again, weekend ruined but that's what happens when you buy Britpart.

• Like 1

Out of interest, before I make the jump to a brand new 4 Bolt, I'm just curious what the purpose of the different boxes was. Were some less heay duty but nicer steering or something, or just a matter of what supplier LR had at the time?

I have just gone from a 6 to a 4 and there is no difference at all in the feeling. 

I only shifted, because apparently a 6 bolt won't fit under a td5 engine in a loft hand vehicle (learned the hard way, but hey ho I am good at removing the engine now) and I was moving to this 🙂

/mads

• Like 1

I think it may be that the 6 bolt is available in no PS. I've never see or heard of a 3 or 4 bolt in manual.  The 6 bolt was used in the London Taxi FX4 and they are still producing parts for those - however they are something crazy like two turns lock to lock

• Like 1

That's very, very generous but I've ordered a brand new 4 bolt this morning. 

I'm done with rebuilds, this one has had three separate issues so I'm just going new. It's a shame to not have the exact same box to replace it with but it's not like I'm aiming for originality.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 11:11 AM, ThreePointFive said:

That's very, very generous but I've ordered a brand new 4 bolt this morning. 

I'm done with rebuilds, this one has had three separate issues so I'm just going new. It's a shame to not have the exact same box to replace it with but it's not like I'm aiming for originality.

Don't forget the different thread sizes for the PS pipes

On 5/20/2024 at 10:11 AM, ThreePointFive said:

It's a shame to not have the exact same box to replace it with but it's not like I'm aiming for originality.

4-bolt is pretty standard for a 90 though - only reason I'm keeping the 6-bolt is it's specifically called out as the heavy duty box for the 127.

47 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

The Internet is very conflicting on that, I'm going to see what happens. 

I suspect your PAS hoses are non-standard anyway, no? Given it is a serp V8 with a 6 bolt.