Laser cleaning/derusting/paint stripping

Junglie

No, however I've looked at similar, the big question is" projected use over cost of machine"

Last I checked they were bloody expensive, too expensive to have idle in the workshop

Not dissuading you, just my 2 pence worth

Regards Stephen

I think the cost was north of £10k when I saw one advertised, may have come down....

However one concern was raised is that by using a laser the surface of the steel is heated causing some oxidation, which you would still have to clean off before welding, ideally, or other processes.

A good sand blast is better, IMHO.

Yes, about £4K. Still expensive but more reasonable. Especially if I can make it part of a business (VERY big if…)

The pulsed laser apparently blasts the residue off completely - no additional prep needed. I say “apparently” deliberately. 

2 hours ago, elbekko said:

These guys had a good real-world review, I thought:

They seemed especially happy with it for powdercoating on thick steel, but not so much for body panels and such.

It may have worked much better if they used the correct settings.  It seems only to struggle with deep flakey rust which should be chipped off with a pick or hammer and stone chisel first, but otherwise seems more thorough and gentler on delicate materials than blasting.  I’d love to have one!

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I've not watched it, but aren't they likely to just be another channel (like Ed China) paid to promote it. 

Not really, I thought they were being fairly honest about it. But you never know.

Definitely not as awful as Edd China.