As we enter the wet(ter) season...

Bowie69

Yup, and unlikely to be strong if easily removable.

An 'emergency hammer' to break windows and cut belts could have saved both of them, for those posh enough to have doors on their vehicles I would think they are a must.

• Like 3

Getting out of any vehicle once it is underwater is not likely to end well even in ideal conditions, I would have though removing seat belts and having the windows open before a crossing would be a good plan, though there could be arguments each way for seat belts keeping you in place. There was several Mythbuster episodes about this and breaking windows or opening doors proved virtually impossible even for a fit experienced diver, know it was about to happen and not panicking.

I have to do HUET escape training regularly (check it on google) and even in a pool knowing exactly what is happening I still panic when we are spun upside down, I have only failed once when the 4 point harness jammed and I had to be released by the safety diver, so should be used to it but it doesn't seem to work like that for me, my pulse goes to stupid high level, and I struggle to hold my breath long enough even though sat on pool side I can easily hold my breath that long. If there is a real crash and hitting cold rough water I don't have high hopes on surviving although in the Sumburgh crash most people (12 plus 2 crew) did get out in time (4 dead at scene and one survivor committed suicide later with PTSD I believe), I believe it stayed upright for a short time before flipping over and rescue was on the scene pretty quick. One of the survivors worked for the same company as me although I never met him. Most of the other recent ditching were failures at altitude so there was unlikely to have been survivors of the impact with the water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I think the rule of thumb is 'avoid water'. If it's flowing or if it's a stagnant pond. Just avoid it as best as possible

True - but then we've all seen what the general public are capable of :rolleyes:

• Like 2

As a 4x4 Responder, we seem to see more and more people driving into floods even when they are signed as Road Closed. As the safe wading depth for an unprepared BMW X5 driven into standing water at 30mph is about 4 inches, it does not end well. The BMW manual says:-

Drive though calm water only and only if it is
not deeper than 19.6 inches/50 cm and at this
height, no faster than walking speed, up to
3 mph/5 km/h.

I have never seen an X5 go into water that slowly!

Edited by jeremy996
Speeling

I mistakenly drove a long ford crossing in South Africa, discovered too late it was actually a submerged bridge and we were in the middle of a fast flowing deep flash flood.  We narrowly escaped with our lives - luckily I'd selected the only gear that would get us across without having to change and lose momentum, and the Rangie was running very heavy with overland kit.  The power of the flowing water was utterly immense.  Lesson learned, cars ain't boats and I aint fish, I keep out of rivers now.