A moment of Genius??????

bishbosh

OK, so there I was in the garage looking for my panel fettling stick ;) and I came across an old mud flap lying about in a corner.

The panel work was required as I managed to smash both my indicator / sidelight clusters at Bampton and in the process separated the wing skin from the front bit wotsit. (aren't pop rivets marvelous! :lol: )

Anyhow, I digress - this is not the first time I have smashed the light clusters on the rangie and I now have to wait for Old Sodbury to (hopefully) pick up some spares on the cheap. I had been mulling over putting an ali skin over the hole left by the rangie lights and sticking on some Landy ones as they're cheaper to replace but decided against it would still leave me with lights that were vulnerable.

The mud flap gave me the idea to fit a piece of stiff rubber :o around the corner and fit some low profile light units like these into the rubber perhaps with an ali backing strip:

flatindicator.jpg

That way, if ( more like when the way I drive! :lol: ) I clout them the rubber would give and prevent the lights smashing. I know it's not exactly going to look like it came out of the show room, but it could remove a fair bit of buggeration in the future.

Does anyone know if I'd have problems at the MOT? They're not directional lights like the headlights but I don't know if there are any peculiar rules requiring them to be fitted to "rigid" bodywork?

When you've all stopped laughing you can tell me what you think! :ph34r:

i reckon you'd get away with it.

assuming they are e-marked, then it would probably come down to the discretion of the MOT man over the issue of them being "securely" fitted.

Best suggestion . . . go to the MOT man and ask him if her would fail you? my local chap will tell me either way happily.

I was thinking along the same lines when I had a Rangie. I thought that £30 (at the time) for a plastic lens was excessive.

I toyed with the idea of making a plate and using the ordinary Landy side & indicator lights. I think it would look quite nice too with all round lights at the front.

Have you thought of putting them inside the headlights; i.e. in the grill?

Interesting idea....... althoug I don't like the idea of indicators inboard of the lights - just doesn't seem right but it would make them relatively safe.......... I wondier if there's room....

I've seen people mount standard series lights on top of wings / bonnet, they'd be fairly safe there unless you rolled it :rolleyes:

Now that's just daft..... or is it, maybe some forward facing surface mount units like they put on artic truck roofs....

I was thinking along the same lines when I had a Rangie. I thought that £30 (at the time) for a plastic lens was excessive.

I toyed with the idea of making a plate and using the ordinary Landy side & indicator lights. I think it would look quite nice too with all round lights at the front.

Should the side lights and the indicators not be on the outside of the vehicle, ie on the corner. I believe MOT will fail you when the indicators are between the headlights if these are independent units.

Those low profile lights you show, are NAS lights, as fitted to amongst other things - my Ibex.

They are expensive for what they are, and come with crappy modern connectors.

If I were you I'm mount a couple of series lights in a rubber/ali panel. But keep the regular lights for MOT/road trips.

Mainly cause I think it will look pretty low-rent on a nice Rangie like yours.

Mainly cause I think it will look pretty low-rent on a nice Rangie like yours.

Was that before I after you had me dragged backwards through that bank at Slindon.... :P:P:lol:

I think that'll be the way I'll be heading unless I can get some seriously cheap spares at Sodbury.... we shall see.