whats the best gearbox for my 90.

BrUcE

Easy on the driver? auto then surely

I said easy but not AUTOMATIC, MY GOD!We drive defenders for christ sake. Who is this person and how did u get here. Oh, I know i'll make sure I only go downhill then. So if anyone is interested in a parked Defender not going anywhere u can find it at the sea shore.

huh?

auto has some huge advantages over a manual for offroad stuff. They include, torque multiplication at low revs, reduced strain on the drivetrain, no loss of power on shifts (perfect for hill climbs), much easier to control, point and squirt, less likely to suffer catastrophic failure etc etc. The only 2 places they fall down are they aren't as economic as manuals (but then if you're offroad it's all a bit academic), and they don't have the feet off hill descent abilities of manuals- engine braking just isn't as good! Oh and autos are harder to tow for long distances.

huh?

auto has some huge advantages over a manual for offroad stuff. They include, torque multiplication at low revs, reduced strain on the drivetrain, no loss of power on shifts (perfect for hill climbs), much easier to control, point and squirt, less likely to suffer catastrophic failure etc etc. The only 2 places they fall down are they aren't as economic as manuals (but then if you're offroad it's all a bit academic), and they don't have the feet off hill descent abilities of manuals- engine braking just isn't as good! Oh and autos are harder to tow for long distances.

Agreed Sir, but when the knees can't manage anymore or I want to convert the daily driver to a mountain goat on steroids I'll look into that option. But for now what else.

I said easy but not AUTOMATIC, MY GOD!We drive defenders for christ sake. Who is this person and how did u get here. Oh, I know i'll make sure I only go downhill then. So if anyone is interested in a parked Defender not going anywhere u can find it at the sea shore.

keep the existing stumpy bell housing [200Tdi/R380 use FRC9865 [same as LT77, 'stumpy' 11cm overall length bellhousing]

& connect to a short mainshaft R380 in [got one on my 200Tdi 110] & fit the later clutch pedal assembly [part was ANR3400 now SUB100320] which makes the clutch operation easier on the leg muscles.

There is not much more driver freindly than an auto box, So whats wrong with an LT77 the later ones were realy quite good .

You could go for the Santana LT85 box which are supposed to be bomb proof ,

so what do you hope to acheive??

The gearbox is from god knows what year and works well but when i put the sucker in reverse i feel like i should ask the person in passenger seat to find it for me and as for 5th its the same thing but opposit direction of course. The gearbox just isnt tight. Its like driving a tractor and i want to beable to shift alot quicker than that. My mechanic told me he could adjust it but seeing as how its already at the garage and waiting for parts for nonrelated issues I could really investigate this and decide.

Unless you go outside LR (which would involve big work) the only place to go from LT77 is R380 - pretty much identical boxes though.

Autos are good, easy to drive and *a lot* of people really like them off-road. Personally I don't.

Now, before everyone jumps on me - I own a RR auto as well as the 109 which is manual and will still be manual when it's back on the road, I have driven manual & auto off-road too and I don't like autos as much.

They are fine when you can point-and-squirt, but not every obstacle is like that. Sometimes you just want the control that manual gives you - to be able to build the revs and drop the clutch, to select the gear that's right for what's about to happen rather than what's happening right now. To be able to hit any gear, no matter how "wrong" with a flick of the wrist, from any other gear. To be able to rock the vehicle or pulse the power using clutch & revs.

I would also dispute the reliability of Autos - they are reliable to a point. If you drop the fluid, you're going nowhere. Full stop, end of game. A manual will get you home with one gear and no oil in it.

I like my RR auto on the road, and for what it does off-road (not much) it's fine but ultimately IMHO you still can't (quite) beat a traditional manual with a traditional auto.