Diesel additives

Talyllynman

There seems to be a theory that adding a lubricant to diesel fuel is a good idea with modern low sulphur fuel to reduce wear in the injection pump. Millers seem to do some, though at the moment I have not found anywhere that stocks it. What do folk use, if anything?

Thanks,

Ian

Bosch rotary injector pumps as used in the Tdi engines, can be destroyed by low sulpher diesel. The first symptom is failing to stop when you switch off, remove the stop solenoid and it will be covered in swarf.

The best and cheapest option is to run it on at least 10% veg oil, mine is running on 60%

Peugeot know about the problem and in some countries advise the use of additive. In France this is why all diesel is 5% bio.

There seems to be a theory that adding a lubricant to diesel fuel is a good idea with modern low sulphur fuel to reduce wear in the injection pump. Millers seem to do some, though at the moment I have not found anywhere that stocks it. What do folk use, if anything?

Thanks,

Ian

personaly ive all ways used some red for this reason a tankfull occaisonally does wonders so long as ukeep on top of your filter's and dont get dipped of course!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive used both Millers and Lucas Upper Cylinder cleaner's I started off with the Lucas which made a siginificant difference to my 300 Defender. It ran much quieter, better performance and about 2mpg more which off set the price of 2p per litre extra. After using it for about a 1000 miles I switched to try the millers which I thought was a waste of money no increase in mpg no reduction in black smoke under hard acceleration, nothing. I think the only reason I tried was because it works out about 1p per litre against the Lucas's 2p and they sell it in my local LR shop.

For those interested I used to order my Lucas from Redmans engine centre in 1Litre bottles for £15. I would start off buying the one shot version 155ml and stick the lot in a full tank. Lucas recommend 155ml for 25 gallons and say that you cannot overdose the engine on it, mine always ran better on the double dose and it was always easier to work out how much to put in consistently i.e 1 small bottle wich I kept filling from the 1 litre bottle

http://www.redmansenginecentre.co.uk/

Quite a few club members of lower taste use Millers and swear by it, the commonly held belief is that supermarket fuel is skimped on additives to keep it cheap and is bad for TDi's. How true this is I don't know. I've also heard that running a tankfull of BP Ultimate or an equivalent through once in a while is good for things, if bad for the bank account.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya

When I inported my 300tdi into belgium i brought back some millers - it did seem to make a difference even on the normal every day vehicles a 1.9 renault dti

as it more difficult to source so next time over i will stock up

What i have found perhaps better than addatives it to fuel all the diesels we run on Bio diesel of the EN14214 norm. Ive found it runs smoother gets better milage - no smoke. & is generally avalable away from the major filling station chains in germany -running twin tanks i fuel it and its good for a month.

csts about ,99cnt a litre compared with curent prices of abou Eur 1.15

for anyone interested in general on real bio as opposed to the home-brewed "chip-fat soups" have a look at the link

http://www.bioroute.co.uk/biodiesel.htm#Four

happy trails

Abe