OT - Knots

MogLite

What knot(s) do truckers use to tie their loads down ?

I've got a roof-rack of stuff to go to Sodbury ( see kinda back on topic ) and it'd be nice to know how to lash it all down with rope - rather than the multitude of ratchet and cam-lock straps I always seem to use.

I've got a roof-rack of stuff to go to Sodbury ( see kinda back on topic ) and it'd be nice to know how to lash it all down with rope - rather than the multitude of ratchet and cam-lock straps I always seem to use.

Its called a pigs ear gets real tight and is easy to undo.

I don't know any of the hitches shown above, but I do know the truckers "dolly knot" which you really need someone to show you "in the blood" Tbh whats wrong with ratchets? strong, good tension, also if you are gonna use rope you'll need a lot, for my money, ratchets, ( I am an LGV owner/driver althouigh that gives me no authority) Ropes on the other hand are not user friendly, and on a wet day are a pain, hope this is of help, Best regards Bill Westley

There's a knot which i use all the time. Ok, it's slightly harder to undo, but it's a damn sight easier to tie!!!

tie a slipped over-hand knot, with the standing part going away over the load, and the working end forming the loop to the tie-down. You'll be able to sweat this down plenty.

knot.jpg

form a bight in the standing (blue) part of the rope, so the working end (red) is on top. take this behind the standing part and pull a bight through the loop (green). either hook the loop over the tie down, and sweat it down, or preferably, use it to feed the working end (red) back through after passing it through a rail, hole etc.

I always do it the second way, as it's easier to work with.

I use ratchet straps for most things. Kayaks mostly.

I find that you need to put a locking hitch against the cam so stop it slipping after a while.

When tying down with ropes, make sure your ropes are good enough that they won't work loose. Climbing rope is great, that blue nylon stuff is terrible.

Truckers hitch as per LandyManLuke every time. The free end then gets rolled around the rack a few times with a few hitches (bit like a clove hitch?) for extra security.

Watch ropes and straps in the rain as they tend to work loose more.

Climbing rope is great, that blue nylon stuff is terrible.

Amen to that!!

I usually either finish with a clove hitch round a roof rack rail, or a rolling hitch around the working parts that've just been sweated down. This holds incredibly well.

You can repeat the loops for extra purchase, though after about 3 loops, friction becomes more of a problem.

I use a dolly and it is realy something that has to be shown but once you have put one dolly in you can then put a second one in the tensioning rope to really tighten then up, i would be more happy with a dolly than a ratchet strap in some cases.

As you were so kind so to take the mick about the Flemming Arms, and as you were so kind as to offer to help with my Rangie suspension, would you like a selection of rachet straps brought over to the Flemming Arms this Thursday, on loan as I'm going to Sodbury and you seem semi trustworthy.

Bill

As you were so kind so to take the mick about the Flemming Arms, and as you were so kind as to offer to help with my Rangie suspension, would you like a selection of rachet straps brought over to the Flemming Arms this Thursday, on loan as I'm going to Sodbury and you seem semi trustworthy.

Bill

Cheers Bill, but not necessary. I've got loads already. I just thought it might be a neater solution and a skill learned to rope it all down. But the knots look complicated, and I've got gay blue rope, not nice climbing stuff - it might be a non-starter <_<

PS - not the Flemming Arms - Empress of Blandings in Copythorne for the Shires social on Thursday !!