4.2 V8 90 - Cooling options

Hi,

I've just popped a 4.2 V8 ( + auto ) in my 90 and have got the the fun bit of hmmmm where does that go ? I seem to have some pipes that are after being attached to an oil cooler and I need a new radiator anyway as the old one struggled to keep the 3.5 cool.

What's a good option? Is there a 90 with oil cooler in the rad ? Or is it get some 50th anniversary bits and pieces and use those ?

Also any comments on exhaust would be welcome. The front 4.2 exhaust looks very large and my rear 3.5 exhaust looks not very large ......

Hi,

I've just popped a 4.2 V8 ( + auto ) in my 90 and have got the the fun bit of hmmmm where does that go ? I seem to have some pipes that are after being attached to an oil cooler and I need a new radiator anyway as the old one struggled to keep the 3.5 cool.

What's a good option? Is there a 90 with oil cooler in the rad ? Or is it get some 50th anniversary bits and pieces and use those ?

Also any comments on exhaust would be welcome. The front 4.2 exhaust looks very large and my rear 3.5 exhaust looks not very large ......

Yeah put the rad from a Turbo D 90 in it.

A 300 Tdi and 200 Tdi one will fit but they are not the width of the front. (because of the intercooler)

Where as the Turbo D one has the full width rad and oil cooler inside the rad.

Speak to Jules as he had (untill he rolled it) a 90 with a 4.2 V8 engine and gearbox out of an LSE in it

As for the exhaust speak to jules he will also tell you about useing a 300 Tdi rear 90 prop as they fit perfectly in the place of the rear. Saves cutting one down.

Hi Pete, doing the same job - agree, there is a lot to squeeze in :blink:.

As per reads90, TD radiator gives you full width with oil cooling. Tdi narrower to allow for intercooler. If you were running a stock defender V8 before, check the top water hose connection which I believe is different (straight out rather than 90 degree bend). Just use a RR hose.

As for exhausts, seems to be a case of getting the closest from RR and Defender and some welding/fabrication. You may be lucky on a 90 with stock parts, but 110 was/is a PITA. Other seemingly popular (for a reason?) option is Stainless.

As for exhausts, seems to be a case of getting the closest from RR and Defender and some welding/fabrication. You may be lucky on a 90 with stock parts, but 110 was/is a PITA. Other seemingly popular (for a reason?) option is Stainless.

Jules got the exhaust of the LSE and put that on . But used a Aus spec pipe or somthing as they don't have the cat on , so ti would clear the prop

the rear part of the pipe was the old 2.5 N/A exhaust which the truck with :)

Rad - Use a Naturally Gasping Sqeeazel one, if you flush get a 5 row gillot <sp> core put into it - this makes the rad core a wide as the tanks each side adds a HUGE amount of cooling and the fins are stronger / further apart so don't jam up with mud as easily / can pressure wash out

Forget the Oil cooler in the rad, fit a external Mocal one off the oil filter unit / adapter - much better

Also look at the thread in tech forum on colling V8s, as you have to get the heat out !...vents are your friend.

Make sure you use a rad cowling, and ensure that the air HAS to go through the front of the rad - block off all routes other than THROUGH the rad, if there is a gap the air takes the least line of resistance and misses the rad completely.

Consider electric fans on the outside and the viscous on the inside.

make sure you run a heater, as it all adds up to the collant capacity, and use a later scre type RR header tank, this feeds into the bottom hose and is great for getting air locks out rather than the tin type.

Run a 82 ish themostat rather than the hotter type the 4.2 has in it.

Nige

I have a 4.2 V8 on carbs and an auto in my 90 and have found the standard V8 rad (well at least that's what I think it is) without oil cooler to provide sufficient cooling. Have twin mondeo fans fitted and even off road one is normally enough to keep it cool. Have seperate 13 row mocal oil cooler.

I have a 4.2 V8 on carbs

In the name of all that's holy, whhyyyyyyyyy? :ph34r: You've probably lost enough power to have just fitted a 3.9 instead :unsure:

Back OT, what Nige said. I have a Gillon (that's what it's properly called) core in the 109 and you could hit anything up to the size of a small child and they'd go through the fins without blocking up :lol: Basically you need to go for the widest fin spacing & widest core spacing, the rad guys will mutter about not having enough fins for the job / may not cool enough as in their world more fins = better 'cos they don't play with mud, but the end result is cool :D

Mine was made by Wessex Radiators in Lowford who were cheapest and local (and I trust a bunch of guys in a shed) but Serck also make them to spec.

Here's mine - it's very see-through :D

post-21-1178013675_thumb.jpg

In the name of all that's holy, whhyyyyyyyyy? :ph34r: You've probably lost enough power to have just fitted a 3.9 instead :unsure:

Mine was made by Wessex Radiators in Lowford who were cheapest and local (and I trust a bunch of guys in a shed) but Serck also make them to spec.

I love that place. Looks like a real s**t hole. But bloody good place with rads and stuff

Been there for years and years.

Why? Simply cos that's what I had on the floor in the garage and it works. Medium term plan is MS, but just don't have enough roundtuits.

I think this is my old engine and box from the 90.

td rad is what I used and it worked fine but I have no dout there are better alternatives out there however the oil pipes fitted to the engine are for a td oil cooled rad.

it has a 300tdi water bottle for increased capasity already

A 50th 90 rear section should fit straight on and the who car was planed around off the shelf parts and not cut and shut.

The rest of the old system is sat in a yard in fordingbridge rotting and thats were the chassie is but it was make from the LSE exhauset and only used the back box we bined the midle box as it was too big to fit under a 90.

apart from hoses

Back OT, what Nige said. I have a Gillon (that's what it's properly called) core in the 109 and you could hit anything up to the size of a small child and they'd go through the fins without blocking up :lol: Basically you need to go for the widest fin spacing & widest core spacing, the rad guys will mutter about not having enough fins for the job / may not cool enough as in their world more fins = better 'cos they don't play with mud, but the end result is cool :D

Here's mine - it's very see-through :D

post-21-1178013675_thumb.jpg

I've got something very simerlar in the shed that came from Serck and is unused (I went ally instead). The core's slighty closer than FF's (that looks about 5 or 6 FPI, mines 7 IIRC). If you'd like it I'd do you a good price on it as its doing nothing but picking up dust at the moment! PM me if you're interested