Rubbish parts.

Just like to add my voice in Paddocks defense. I've used them many times over the years and have been quite happy with the service and the choice (OEM/pattern/..) of parts they offer.

better go check that A frame joint :ph34r:

In part defense of Paddocks and the like - you get what you pay for to a large extent.

Some time ago, I came to the conclusion that anything that seals, turns or is safety critical, genuine is best.

There are odd exceptions to that, but generally only where a replacement part provides better performance (before everyone jumps in and says that a certain handbrake turns, seals and is safety critical! ;) ).

Si

I have mixed feelings about them. Ordered a set of NAS lights and a year later the lamp holders in the rear ones had corrded. Complained to Paddocks and they sent me a set of new ones at no cost. Recently ordered a set of rear trailing arm bushes and they failed within 6 months. Didn't go back to them just went ot local LR dealer and ordered genuine ones.

Ivan

I know a bit about nas lights.

The bits are all plastic apart from the (cheap) plated connections, I guess thats your corrded?

I have a stock of parts because I was always finding that the cheap plated pins corroded!

I fitted spun aluminium top-hats over the plastic bits that stick into the rear wheelarch on a nas90 / 90. But before you ask the guy who spun them for me retired and I cannot easily get any more :angry:

I do have plenty of the corroding parts for re-sale :D

Oops, a veritable hornets nest :o

This wasn't really meant to be a dig at Paddocks, merely my experience, as on the whole I have had little problem with their stuff (apart from the aforementioned and a cheap and shoddy indicator stalk that collapsed). They have rectified promptly on both previous occasions - although I haven't heard back this time!! As has been pointed out, you tend to get what you pay for in this world and if you expect more, you write to the herberts at Watchdog.

I always try to find white box OEM parts and to this end the Allparts partner website (can't remember who runs it) are very clear which these are, although their range is a bit thin.

Hey, if nothing else, we get good practice replacing bits :lol:

i've used Britpart bits in the past (the main culprit in the world of carp parts) i had a water pump that lasted 11 days, and various oil seals that were so poor that we couldn't even get them to fit.

I still use paddocks (although their carp customer service annoys me) but i don't know how they have the nerve to sell some of the garbage the stock... :rolleyes::angry:

I'd buy an indicator lense from Britpart, but little else..

I tend to buy the genuine or OEM stuff from paddocks (usually made by delphi or lucas) and never had any problems.. :)

use the cheap stuff at your peril, because it WILL come back to bite you... :angry:

i've used Britpart bits in the past (the main culprit in the world of carp parts) i had a water pump that lasted 11 days, and various oil seals that were so poor that we couldn't even get them to fit.

I still use paddocks (although their carp customer service annoys me) but i don't know how they have the nerve to sell some of the garbage the stock... :rolleyes::angry:

I'd buy an indicator lense from Britpart, but little else..

I tend to buy the genuine or OEM stuff from paddocks (usually made by delphi or lucas) and never had any problems.. :)

use the cheap stuff at your peril, because it WILL come back to bite you... :angry:

Kinda of glad i didnt buy that britpart water pump of ebay today i must admit the £21 price tag looked to cheep

To be honest, a genuine parts one from the main dealers is less than £50...

It comes down to how much you value your time really...

personally i'd rather pay a bit extra for good parts that won't need me to waste another sunday afternoon replacing them 3 months down the line...

To be honest, a genuine parts one from the main dealers is less than £50...

It comes down to how much you value your time really...

personally i'd rather pay a bit extra for good parts that won't need me to waste another sunday afternoon replacing them 3 months down the line...

To be honest i had'nt checked with the main againt but i wasnt expecting change from £100, its no contest then of to main dealer for me in the morning!!!

Im never home when they are open so its to easy just to go on eblag

Cheers Freeagent

Just to add another company that supplies one or two carp products - Bearmach water pumps are exceedingly fragile, as are their clutch slave cylinders. Whoever did/used to supply their steering boxes need to learn how to do their job. I replaced a 90 steering box 4-times under guarantee in one year once because they sprang leaks.

Les.

Paddocks is a love/hate thing - at the end of the day you can phone 'em up and they will have most of what you want in a variety of flavours and prices, try that with any other make of car apart from perhaps cult ones like the Mini and you'd be rather shorter on choices and have a big smoking hole in your wallet, and probably a long wait too.

I have had stuff from them that's utter carp, but it's usually been the very cheap stuff so what do you expect when you buy an indicator light for £2 or a brand new brake disc for £6 (which appear to be pretty good, especially for the money!). Some of it you wonder how they can even make money on it it's so cheap. Even if you bought 100% genuine parts it would still be a damn sight cheaper than almost any other vehicle.

I'm also of the same school of thought as Si - if it's something fairly critical then I'll buy Genuine/OE or at least a named brand, if it doesn't matter then I'll buy anything :D

Oh and yes, they do f*ck up more than you'd think possible but in my experience they are pretty good at putting it right without arguing - perhaps Nige's phone manner rubbed them up the wrong way? :ph34r:

I have taken to writing down the names of people I speak to so I can ask for the ones who know what they're doing - Maria @ paddocks is very good and quite chirpy, however Noel seems to be rather dozy so now you know who to ask for :lol:

If I need something NOW I never rely on mail order, paddocks or anyone else, because at the end of the day half of the couriers people rely on don't seem to know what the big turny thing in the front of their truck does, never mind what the papery thing with lines on is for. If they do find your house I don't think half of them even bring the van to a complete stop while they hop out, tickle the doorbell with a feather and ram a "sorry we missed you" card through the letterbox :angry:

Paddocks, ordered tyres from them 6 weeks ago

Not in stock and told 2 week wait!

phoned back after 4 weeks,overheard bloke in background telling woman "tell him a week"

now 6 weeks and no tyres!!

i will phone again tues and go elsewhere in future

this is the first and last time i use them