Mig or Tig for Rollcage

FWIW I would say either are fine.

Whats more importnat is the qulaity of the welds and the welder,

TIG welding is more of an art form, and takes serious skill to gain a realy good weld, whereas MIG is more "Forgiving".

Then theres the equipement itself...........

Good Powerfull AMPS = Pentration

whereas poor machines = a dangerous cage that the welds may "Look" ok

Basically either is fine, MIG or TIG -

but on something as "Life Saving" as a cage make sure whoever and whatever welds it is really up to it :huh:

Nige

Belzona Liquid metal and a very small spatula, then lots of coats of paint. This will be fine and save you a lot of time and energy. Alternatively use wood. I would suggest green willow as it is very strong, cheap and bends well. The joins can be formed with 'Tar Twine' the tar coated hemp string beloved of gardeners. If you place the ends of the willow lengths in small plastic bags filled with P4 water retention granules mixed with water, then the willow will sprout and continue to grow, this will help reduce your carbon footprint.

• Like 1

had you considered Split cane Dave? light and flexible - use the leftovers to knock up a nice fly rod? :) or maybe ash - then with the addition of some canvas and tar you could flip the landy over and use it as a corracle :)

Back on topic - MIG it unless your coping/fishmouthing/birdsmouting/frenching is bang on and you have spent a fair amount of time waving a tig torch about and you are confident about what you are up against

had you considered Split cane Dave? light and flexible - use the leftovers to knock up a nice fly rod? :) or maybe ash - then with the addition of some canvas and tar you could flip the landy over and use it as a corracle :)

Back on topic - MIG it unless your coping/fishmouthing/birdsmouting/frenching is bang on and you have spent a fair amount of time waving a tig torch about and you are confident about what you are up against

Split cane. Mmmm yes, I can see that would work. One could add basket weave panels for lightness and ease of damage repair. How about thatch? Or Wattle and daub?

Don't bother with green oak and morticed/pegged joints it's just too heavy.

Plastic ducting is good and can be joined with a range of solvent based glues.

Of course the other option is a Bauhausesqe laminate play, heat treated to form the bends - very strong and somewhat 60's

you mean in the tray back Huf Haus style?

I can dig that in a retro way

Dirtydiesel works in green oak - keep telling him its stupidly heavy but he wont listen, but it suits his panzer axles and he does a nice job with the finneals

Split cane. Mmmm yes, I can see that would work. One could add basket weave panels for lightness and ease of damage repair. How about thatch? Or Wattle and daub?

Don't bother with green oak and morticed/pegged joints it's just too heavy.

Plastic ducting is good and can be joined with a range of solvent based glues.

Of course the other option is a Bauhausesqe laminate play, heat treated to form the bends - very strong and somewhat 60's

Dave, I know retro's good but might mock Tudor be a bit far for the UK scene??? Just to complete the 16th Century effect I have some lead guttering if you'd like it for a snorkel :lol:

I had noticed those rather natty finneals and of course the dado rails with the plaster work cornice. Very 17th Century I felt.

I f he were to uses Douglas Fir, he would achieve the same strength and longevity without the twisting/cracking and of course the massive weight.

Mind you it was his choice to uses axles from old ploughing engines.

Big Jim Pugh has been using Iron Wood and Kerowin for his off road steam roller. Young saplings have been bent to shape and then grown to size before being felled. The hollow centers have been filled with mecury supported in lead piping for added weight.

The axles, taken from an old launch tractor at Cape Canaveral run mecury as a lubricant in an attempt to keep the artic tanker fuel cell in place.

The cage is made from old sections of the Trans siberia pipline which are bolted together using old off cuts from HFH failed projects. When completed the vehicle will shift the earhts orbit slightly putting a stop to global warming

I think its nice to see the craftsman approach returning to the build scene, I was a little sceptical of the use of lime rendor until Nige Barkers stunning frescos appeared in his 90, amazingly vivid and being lime they allow the whole structure to breath, perhaps Yew could make a resurgance? fine wood for bows - could be employed to store engery for winches? perhaps the first twin sapling 8274 isnt far away...?

Jim needs to look at those DU halfshafts though - the radiation from processing them appears to have caused him to reach superhuman levels of organisation :huh:

Roofing could be made of traditional cedar split shingles- eay to apply, last for ages and so 'in' this year with self-builders- just look at how often they turn up on grand designs.......

Straw bale building could also work and would give a wonderfully cushioned landing in a roll-over :rolleyes:

I feel that Nige went over the top with his addition of horse hair in the lime render - I understand his need to comply with the grade 2 listing his motor rates but...

The lathe and plaster work around the rear cross member is a joy to behold though.

I believe Mr Freezer has used papiermache for underbelly protection, laquered in the 14th century Japanese style. Similar to Samurai amour this has been decorated with scenes that balance out both yin and yang - creation and destruction. I especially like the botanical studies of fruit trees and collared doves... Somewhat reminiscent of Maiamoto Musashi...

Roofing could be made of traditional cedar split shingles- eay to apply, last for ages and so 'in' this year with self-builders- just look at how often they turn up on grand designs.......

Problem with shingles is that they will let in water when the car is in reverse and it's raining.

Ivan

interesting angle with the shingles - I was kinda taken with the Nordic turf roof or possible a succulant display although I think the winters might kill em off. Poor old Moglites face when he realised Japanese releif was only a mother of pearl inlay technique that Fridge was using in the lacquer panel was a treat, poor lamb - utterly heartbroken :ph34r:

how about mixing Orthodox Iconic art with Gaudiseque tones to produce a new Defender dash? could be construed as hericy but artisan defenders are the future IMO........

I see the Defender lending itself more to a reactionary art neuveau scheme with Lalique enhancements.

Speaking of Moglite, he has moved away from his usual minimalist Warholesque Aluminium and Steel (like a less risque Gary Glitter) to the Norwegian log cabin back woodsman look (with added aluminium and steel). Think big logs, checked shirts, gingham, panties and bra...

I like the idea of Red Cedar Shingles - works for me.

How about Cedar of Lebanon panelling like Jim Pugh has used in his engine bay...

I see the Defender lending itself more to a reactionary art neuveau scheme with Lalique enhancements.

Speaking of Moglite, he has moved away from his usual minimalist Warholesque Aluminium and Steel (like a less risque Gary Glitter) to the Norwegian log cabin back woodsman look (with added aluminium and steel). Think big logs, checked shirts, gingham, panties and bra...

I like the idea of Red Cedar Shingles - works for me.

How about Cedar of Lebanon panelling like Jim Pugh has used in his engine bay...

but Lalique is so guache in 2007, I was glad Andy skipped over his fascination with Recocco frippery and embraced pop art cab couture but confess to being more than a little disturbed with the whole Nordic/tranvestite sub-cult he's experimenting with presently

Now Jims use of Ceder was inspired, a level of marketry not seen since Chippendale without falling into the whole rennaisance self obsession routine, classy, refined and easily cleaned of EP90. interesting use of hemp rope Im guessing that if the winch pops its clogs you can chill out with some tunes and smoke whats left? (natuarally only hemp from inclusive and sustainable locally transported lesbian communes with a zero carbon footpint)

willow or hazel wand halfshafts? and whay hasnt anyone used norfolk reed thatch yet?

As to half shafts, I feel Alder (Alnus glutinosa) would be far better suited as it's strength is legendary - used for making the clogs of the luddites and other such loomists.

Young Will "Big Cheques" Warn has mixed an interesting blend of styles - always looking for the most expensive and bizzare. His use of Neo Greco Doric columns and lintels as roll protection looks odd but somewhat comfy with the Elizabethan urine darkened beams and brilliant white wattle and daub. Said massive columns are dwarfed by his use of post Ptolomey styled Anubis figures holding the Trondhiem Viking beams, carved with scenes of the endless fighting and carousing in Valhalla. The use of early Roman wheel nuts and beadlocks is subliminal yet moving against the stark outline of the slate tiled king cab. We should think oursleves lucky that such an object d'art is never actually used or moved as it would undoubtably damage such a collection of styles and ideas...

As to half shafts, I feel Alder (Alnus glutinosa) would be far better suited as it's strength is legendary - used for making the clogs of the luddites and other such loomists.

Could I suggest Italian Alder may be more suitable for halfshaft's - same strength but added resistance to harsh environments

Entertaining read that...... :hysterical: Slighty went wayward after Mr Honiton diversifed the topic, but it would seem there is a lot of knowledge, that could suggest a greener way to go on roll cage design :blink:

Entertaining read that...... :hysterical: Slighty went wayward after Mr Honiton diversifed the topic, but it would seem there is a lot of knowledge, that could suggest a greener way to go on roll cage design :blink:

Sir! How dare you say I hijacked this thread, I and my esteemed colleague Mr Heavyweight were merely expounding on the virtues of the various schools of design within the microverse that is LR4x4. Might I suggest that my seconds contatc your seconds and that, with your choice of weapons, we settle this matter?

As for the suggestion of Alnus cordata to supply the material for half shafts, this is clearly wrong as any good Silviculturist will tell you that A. glutinosa or even A.incana are much tougher that A. cordata...

**** me you guys are behind the times

it's not a simple case of strength you need to save weight. My construction processes use genuine trojan methods on a balsa base for that touch of "floatiness" essential in the modern day swamp.

green oak is sooo february.

of course for parts compatibility you can't beat pine.