What a weekend!

The weekend magic roundabout has finally come to a stop and I've got off, sat down with a thump and I can now review it all in it's magnificent ridiculous maddening glory.

Fri eve. Finished work on poets day, stopped in at Exeter 4x4 to get replacement wheel bearing as there had been a grumbling noise for a bit and I knew I would be 'off road' several times at weekend.

Got near home and the bearing grumble changed to a racket as it collapsed.

Spent the evening assisting Hontion Hobbit who had graciously legged it round straight from work to ensure I was ready for the Saturday. Both of us got bitten to death because I'd left the door open to the midge farm and the entire herd were feasting upon us as we worked (with the aid of big warm lights).

Saturday. Spent the day with JST, HH and TJ101 learning the finer points of Td5 anti stall and prooving that beginners luck can out wit a highly experienced driver such as JST. Don't worry James, I c*cked it later in the weekend, despite having been shown clearly how not to do it ;)

Sunday spent with friends who were staying. They were on their way to Cornwall, with a (big) caravan. Having got stuck on the drive and fried the clutch on his td4 freebie, I had to move the van with my Disco. In the rain, and the window regulator had bust. Got van moved into place, and watched as the van tried to roll down the drive and off the end into the stream, fortunately my new fence took the brunt and held it back :rolleyes:

Tried to retrieve the glass from the bottom of the Disco door but it had dropped completely and stuck. The wind was now driving the rain horizontal and there was noooo glass in the door. Ever tried sticking plastic to a wet car door with tape? :huh:

Monday. Out for some gentle greenlaning across Salisbury Plain. First lane, crossing a raised track with break over ridge (exactly like JST on Saturday only smaller!) and got stuck. Much to the joy of everyone else including Honiton Hobbit who did it last having watched everyone else do it differently and thus, with the benefit of hindsight, made it look effortless(git).

Finally, after some great laning, set off for home. As soon as I got some speed up on the tarmac, vibration through the steering. Pulled up in a layby and b*gger me but the front nearside wheel, one wheelnut completely missing and two about to part company :o Whipped a nut off the spare, did them all up and proceeded to tell myself off in a Basil Fawlty styli in the rain at the side of the A303. Because on Friday night, I had jacked up both sides trying to find the fault and cracked both sets of wheel nuts before jacking, but only remembered to tighten the set that was taken off :unsure::angry: What a **t

Anyway. big thanks to Dave HH for bailing me out of the smelly on Friday, thanks to JST for making me look good on Saturday and thanks to Chris W for leading on the laning. I'm off for a lie down in a quiet room with some bells and tinkly music.

Saturday. Spent the day with JST, HH and TJ101 learning the finer points of Td5 anti stall and prooving that beginners luck can out wit a highly experienced driver such as JST. Don't worry James, I c*cked it later in the weekend, despite having been shown clearly how not to do it ;)

But it was quite funny at the time :lol:

I broke the golden rule of offroading !! forgot the camera !! shame :D

i thought you had all actually promised that you would mention it and i cant believe Dave had to come up with such a long story just to mention it!

anyway Dave did you find the source of that other reoccurring noise from the truck?

I am still waiting to see evidence of Moglite's stuck at the weekend... :moglite:

Chris

I wasn't stuck - I could still drive forwards and backwards, it was just the rolling over to the side bit onto steel fence posts that knocked the wind out of my sails ;)

IMG_1613.jpg

Great day out though, I particularly enjoyed Matt's demonstration of why he needs spring retainers and HD halfshafts

matt.wmv

:lol:

I know Dave's on the large side,, but did not realize he is big enough to employ as a ground anchor :lol::P

if thats near never avon on an old embankment where the bank has been dug away then i got stuck there once except it was dark and raining and i was on my own. Ended up having to drive down into the field to get out

paul

if thats near never avon on an old embankment where the bank has been dug away then i got stuck there once except it was dark and raining and i was on my own. Ended up having to drive down into the field to get out

paul

That will be why the Farmer put the steel fence posts in to stop people doing the same. Sadly they just end up looking like a row of big spikes waiting to nail the unwary - or Moglite.

And James, I didn't think anyone would bother reading that far in :unsure:

That will be why the Farmer put the steel fence posts in to stop people doing the same. Sadly they just end up looking like a row of big spikes waiting to nail the unwary - or Moglite.

And James, I didn't think anyone would bother reading that far in :unsure:

I had no choice i was exactly like moglite but on my own. I went to the police station to report what i had done but it was closed. No crime in amesbury after 17:00

It was the farmers fault anyway for digging the embankment away.