can a 200tdi run ok without an intercooler?

selectcase

I am nearing the end of my 200tdi conversion in to my series and was wandering if It was imperitive to use the intercooler as its going to be a pain to fit along with the electric fans. I can live with the loss of a few bhp if it will run ok without one but I dont want to risk damaging the engine if its going to raise the intake temp to high or someting else that might damage the engine?

Have a peek down the local scrappers, there are shed loads of 'coolers around these days. Look for a fairly hi-flow job like a SAAB 9000 unit. Some, like certain renault jobbie come with thier own thermostatic flow controls...

Remember forced air flow is as good as front mounted which gives you a big choice or areas to fit

I am nearing the end of my 200tdi conversion in to my series and was wandering if It was imperitive to use the intercooler as its going to be a pain to fit along with the electric fans. I can live with the loss of a few bhp if it will run ok without one but I dont want to risk damaging the engine if its going to raise the intake temp to high or someting else that might damage the engine?

Hi

I am running a 200 TDI without an intercooler an its fine, probably best not to tweek the fuel pump though!

A series is fairly light in weight so slight drop in power wont be too noticeable.

.....of course I plan to fit an intercooler in the next few months in the quest for power.

you'll almost certainly run into engine damage/problems

Sorry to contradict,

But, as long as you turn the fueling down a little there will be absolutly no problems. to make doubly sure check the EGT's.

I know a few people who have run their tdi's for prolonged periods without thier intercoolers and have had no probs.

The intercooler should give a 30degree drop of intake temp

add that to the EGT and I'd think you are risking an expensive repair bill.

Real world experience As Dans and Thirstybeasts is worth listening to.

I'd not risk it personally after the expense you've gone to rebuilding the engine.

dont quite a few people stick the old td (19J) manifold on and run with that to overcome the disco 200tdi turbo position when mounting in a defender, and therefore run without an intercooler. i know of at least one up and running no problems and have heard of others.

i would prob turn the fueling down though!

dont quite a few people stick the old td (19J) manifold on and run with that to overcome the disco 200tdi turbo position when mounting in a defender, and therefore run without an intercooler.

IIRC the TD manifolds won't fit a 200Tdi cylinder head, the bolt positions are completely different

I have run several TDI conversions without using any intercooler without any problems, we have just returned from the Ladoga trophy where I used a full width radiator rather than the small TDI one as there is no point in fitting an intercooler when it is full of mud, the last conversion I fitted without an intercooler has been used one the road every day for the last 2 years without any problems.

To help with the fitment of the disco engine you can rotate the compresser side of the turbo just by removing the wastegate bracket then using a round piece of wood in the cast outlet rotate it to a more usefull position, then redrill and retap the wastegate bolts into the housing (the tricky part!).

On the racer we took off the cast exhaust manifold, made a steel flange to suit the stud patern and then welded a preformed 90 degree industrial pipe bend to it which cleared the bulkhead without any problems.

IIRC the TD manifolds won't fit a 200Tdi cylinder head, the bolt positions are completely different

They will, there's just a bit of missalignment oof the exhaust ports.

I have run several TDI conversions without using any intercooler without any problems, we have just returned from the Ladoga trophy where I used a full width radiator rather than the small TDI one as there is no point in fitting an intercooler when it is full of mud, the last conversion I fitted without an intercooler has been used one the road every day for the last 2 years without any problems.

To help with the fitment of the disco engine you can rotate the compresser side of the turbo just by removing the wastegate bracket then using a round piece of wood in the cast outlet rotate it to a more usefull position, then redrill and retap the wastegate bolts into the housing (the tricky part!).

On the racer we took off the cast exhaust manifold, made a steel flange to suit the stud patern and then welded a preformed 90 degree industrial pipe bend to it which cleared the bulkhead without any problems.

Allo mate,

welcome to the forum.

Dan.

Guest WALFY
The intercooler should give a 30degree drop of intake temp

add that to the EGT and I'd think you are risking an expensive repair bill.

Real world experience As Dans and Thirstybeasts is worth listening to.

I'd not risk it personally after the expense you've gone to rebuilding the engine.

Tony

Not being an expert but that is some drop in temp across the i/c. Where did you read that? If thats the case will fitting a second i/c inline reduce by another 30deg or is not that simple?

You shouldn't need to turn the fueling down. Your foot IS the fueling. Just get an EGT gauge, and if temps are getting up there, let off a bit. Having said that, I'd still try to fit the IC as why have power you can't use. I have run my VW IDI both ways. Definitely more fun with the IC.