300 TDI consumption

I was alwas a bit suspicious about the consumption.

In normal combined conditions, it took between 10 and 11 liters for 100 Km.

Yesterday I installed the hHclones and hoped for improvement. Today, I went to see my frinends in Germany and realised that it took 12 litres /100 km on highway. Is this normal, or something to worry about?

Thanks,

T.

What engine are you running?

My diesel defenders are less economical over 65mph-105kph (slightly) or over 80mph-130kph. (a lot worse)

Could be down to highway use, speed and wind resistance?

Hiclones made no differencce to my 300TDi. Thought I felt a slight increase in the pick up through the mid rev range, but now I'm convinced it was just me justifying the cost. :)

Rich

What engine are you running?

My diesel defenders are less economical over 65mph-105kph (slightly) or over 80mph-130kph. (a lot worse)

Could be down to highway use, speed and wind resistance?

Hiclones made no differencce to my 300TDi. Thought I felt a slight increase in the pick up through the mid rev range, but now I'm convinced it was just me justifying the cost. :)

Rich

I'm running 300 Tdi that is 2.5 l.

It could be the highway as I did about 350 km with the pedal on the floor.

And the same feeling about the Hiclones - you keep looking for any impovements just to justifying the cost, but the truth is that if would not know I put them in - I wouldn't be able to say a diference :-(

On a long run at 80kph my 300 does 7.5 litres per 100k.

How do you do that?

Any engine tunning in place, or just pure cause of luck?

Or was that the consumption of the car towing you ? :rolleyes:

How do you do that?

I think Dans is a range rover, so a little bit more aerodynamic. :)

Plus probably has better gearing and at 80kph the engine will hardly be turning.

Dan, surely you don't drive everywhere at 50mph??? :blink:

Rich

my 110 averages about 28-30 on a run,27-28 urban. but just put on some mud tyres and OOOOOOOOOOOOOO! soooo noisey and only 25.8 on a long run. the've gotta go, its like sitting in a tumble dryer. I also find that draughting lorries helps, I dont mean right up their chuff, but in the slow lane at 60, there is sufficient movement of air from the continous stream of monsters to make a difference.

How do you do that?

I think Dans is a range rover, so a little bit more aerodynamic. :)

Plus probably has better gearing and at 80kph the engine will hardly be turning.

Dan, surely you don't drive everywhere at 50mph??? :blink:

Rich

It is in a rangy, i've tweaked the pump a little, and it's got a staight through exhaust but nothing else, it runs a 1.4:1 t/case and 33" goody muds.

It managed 950kms on 70litres on it's last big run, but that was at no more thn 80kph on nice continetal roads.

Normally speaking it does between 28-38 to the gallon.

I normally prefere to kick along at about 100kph but behind fridges 109" 80kph is about he safe limit with his gearing.

It all depends on speed.....

The engine is the most efficient around 2000 rpm or so. Traveling at that speed (around 80 km/h, 50 mph on a stock Defender) will give the highest mileage figures. The faster you go the worse your mileage will get.

Oh well, in for a penny. Here's my dribble....

I've got Hiclones and my honest opinion is that they DO work. Quieter engine (noticed that immediately - at tickover standing outside of the 110, she's noticeably quieter) and improved mid-range pull. Not much, but definitely an improvement.

Haven't noticed any economy gains though.

Pump has been tweaked and I've got a K&N (which I also like).

Fuel economy-wise, my 110 does 30mpg in Summer and about 28mpg in Winter (most journeys done in dark, full lights, heater etc). She runs 265/75/16 BFG AT's.

Speed-wise, she cruises at 70mph into work tops. She will go faster but don't see the point. RPM's at 70 show an indicated 2700.

We have got 7l/100km in the wolf, over motorways, with a laden expedition vehicle towing a 1.5T trailer on MT tyres. (over 500km at 65mph)

On mixed roads, we get around 9-10l/100km.

We looked into Hiclones, but the evidence against them didn't do anything to justify the cost.

Nick

Morning Tom

Mine does on a run about 8.5 - 9 ltrs Per 100KMS

although it carries a full width enlarged intercooler disco transfer box and sits on 265/75/16`s putting out in total close to 150PS

ran it through to FRA & back last may & at 80-90kph at about 2,000 RPM - ran great dealt with the hills on the A3 no problems even with a hand throttle

although not the ideal comuter wagon - mines there just for the weekend

Happy trails

Abe

For Whats its worth

I have just Got back for the UK where I had my p38 2.5 Diesel Upgraded (re-chiped & larger intercooler installed) over at J. Ferns intercoolers.

On the run out there it was doings a ave of about 9.5 - 10.5 driving at 110kph

on the return the economy is far better averaging about 6-6.2 driving at the same speed.

Not only that the performance of the engine matches the auto box much better and the same weekly hilly autobahn route i used to run would envolve the box dropping gears - now the vehicle just sails through with out a single gear change.

on a manual 300tdi (my weekend vehicle) defender it also makes one hell of a difference too

Happy trails

Abe

on my 130 (300tdi) with roof rack at speeds around 100kph I get 10L/100km. In the sand 15L/100.

on my 110HCPU (300tdi with disco transfer box) I get 8.5L/100km at 90km/h, and the worst I ever get is when towing a trailer (wheels under) with a 109 on top of it (I seem to be doing this quite often thses days ;) ), foot on the floor (15L/100km)

Both vehicles without EGR or Cat.